Author Topic: Jokes you need explaining to you  (Read 5801 times)

Re: Jokes you need explaining to you
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2019, 12:45:14 AM »
Knock Knock.
Who's there?
David.
David who?
David the doorbell so I had to knock.

This was in a Knock Knock joke book I had as a kid and just couldn't work it out, so I asked my Dad who didn't know but my clever fan of wordplay Mum mumsplained to me that David is a pun "They've hid", at which point the penny dropped. I then spent the next couple of weeks trying the joke out on everyone at school and gleefully not explaining it to anyone who didn't get it. Like the horrible little cunt I was.

I also had to have the famous Sneeds Feeds And Seeds (formerly Chucks) from The Simpsons joke explained by an ex.

I like imagining that David is actually the doorbell who can’t physically ring himself and so has to flounder around to knock on the door instead. Did such a scenario cross your mind as a child?

« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2019, 12:49:47 AM »
I like imagining that David is actually the doorbell who can’t physically ring himself and so has to flounder around to knock on the door instead. Did such a scenario cross your mind as a child?

Ha ha! That's a lovely image (and an arguably better gag)!

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2019, 03:07:25 AM »

Johnny Yesno

• Injecting the rivers with stainless steel fish
    • Lines Horizontal
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »
I had it down as him being so nervous he fucks up a simple sec/sex pun, goes back, and fucks up the correction. In my head he's going for "see you in a sec...s"

Yes, that's how I understood it too.

gib

• weak and wobbly
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2019, 12:35:14 AM »
Here's one that's been bothering me since I was little:

https://youtu.be/_ttcsDRfBPM?t=83

Russ Abbot and Les Dennis trading increasingly tall tales, until one of them says he doesn't believe the other. Punchline: "Well you knock ten foot off that whale, and I'll blow the lamp out."

Now, I can see how the line directly relates to what they said, but is there a secondary meaning I'm missing? Surely that can't be it, can it? I always assumed it must have been clever wordplay or something rude, but all these years later I still just can't see the joke. Looking forward to hearing your theories on what knocking ten foot off a whale and blowing a lamp out is slang for.

Next sketch is good.

Me and the big ship is off to the west coast of Africa.

Azores?

Has sails and everything.

« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2019, 07:46:26 AM »

It did!