Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jokes you need explaining to you

Started by solidified gruel merchant, July 05, 2019, 04:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

It's obviously a reference to the birth year of Sibylle of Baden, who was, by marriage to Count Basil IV, Countess of Hanau-Lichtenberg.

They had 4 children, John, Georg, Peter, Paul. Peter inherited the title Count of Hanau-Lichtenberg after his two elder brothers died in battle. He also went on to release a little known album The Hanau-Lichtenberg of The Beatles.

Ferris

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 24, 2019, 05:06:45 PM
I don't think it is a random year though, as I said before. Tudors/Stuarts 1485-1603/1714 was always a fixed period for study in secondary and tertiary education, 1485 in Britain generally taken to be the end of the Middle Ages.

I bow to your better explanation than mine (which was shit).

Bennett Brauer

Tomorrow: 1603 and was King James the First a poof?

Gurke and Hare

If she'd said 1415 that would have tied in with Basil's "Anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt" line from The Anniversary.

I had the momentary realisation earlier that "of course!  It's Agincourt again!  Hah!  ... oh, hang on, that was 1415 wasn't it. Oh."

kalowski

Of course it's a fucking random year!

The Best of the Beatles.

Bennett Brauer

NJ Uncut

Quote from: SteK on October 15, 2019, 09:34:12 PM
I still don't get Peep Show Series 1 Ep 1 with all that with the 'Outrageous' track, 'Judas' and omertà and reywengay. 'Reywengay' is Prinz Ludwig in Blackadder isn't it?

Yes, I was that sheep.....

It's just Simon Hans saying "revenge" in a hipster "foreign" accent, you know, Vs are Ws, the last E is pronounced, in a sad attempt to make the concept of "revenge" mystical

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 24, 2019, 06:16:07 PM
If she'd said 1415 that would have tied in with Basil's "Anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt" line from The Anniversary.

pretty sure they will have kicked around a few numbers & picked the one that best lent itself to the sort of rendering that prunella scales would give it. try it. try a few other numbers.
'1485' is just funny without it sounding like it's trying to be funny.

Jim Bob

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 24, 2019, 10:12:23 PM
pretty sure they will have kicked around a few numbers & picked the one that best lent itself to the sort of rendering that prunella scales would give it. try it. try a few other numbers.
'1485' is just funny without it sounding like it's trying to be funny.

"Lynn. 50."

markburgle

Parking Pataweyo from Harry and Paul. Yes, traffic wardens are cunts. So? Are they saying that when they're from Pakistan or somewhere they're even worse, in a way that is somehow reminiscent of Postman Pat? It's the best I can come up with

Jim Bob

Quote from: markburgle on November 11, 2019, 07:13:55 PM
Parking Pataweyo from Harry and Paul. Yes, traffic wardens are cunts. So? Are they saying that when they're from Pakistan or somewhere they're even worse, in a way that is somehow reminiscent of Postman Pat? It's the best I can come up with

I reckon the joke/premise is as basic as you describe.  All I know is that those sketches get a free pass from me, simply because the lyric "Parking Pataweyo and his black and white cat...aweyo" makes me smile.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 16, 2019, 09:01:07 AM
Boys Town, formerly Father Flanagan's Boys' Home, is a charity for at-risk children. I'm sure it's been parodied in other Simpsons episodes too. I'd like to know what the origin of the phrase is, it sounds like some kind of horror/crime film tag-line (although probably related to "too fast to live, too young to die", etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_Town_(organization)

there's a strong thread of old timey Americana in early simpsons that's sometimes quite delightful.

Gurke and Hare