Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Akira sequel series to be directed by Katushiro Otomo

Started by Alberon, July 05, 2019, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Akira creator Katsuhiro Otomo has announced an anime sequel to his Manga series (adapted by himself into one of the greatest anime films of all time back in the late eighties).

QuoteOtomo, who also created the original Akira manga, announced the news during a panel at the Anime Expo in Los Angeles. The series will be produced by Bandai Namco's Sunrise, although few other details were unveiled.

He also unveiled that he will direct Orbital Era, his third anime feature. Otomo is also writing and directing Orbital Era, set "in the near future on a space colony under construction," according to the project's website. It will be, "an action-adventure story of some boys in this peculiar environment and society who keep living their lives while they're being tossed about by fate."

And here's a teaser poster for Orbital Era.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/akira-anime-series-works-director-katsuhiro-otomo-1222674

Coming back to something so good after so long is always a risk, but I've much more interest in this than the live action Akira.

Consignia

Is this a sequel or just an original made by the same dude? It reads to me like the latter.

Otomo has done a film since Akira, the distinctly average Steamboy. So it's going to be a toss up on previous form. Although this does sound more compelling.

Alberon

Orbital Era is something completely new. But the completely separate Akira sequel does seem to be an anime series, but of what length hasn't been stated yet.

Consignia

wooders1978

I've never really got how there is only a handful, at best, of truly great manga movies - ghost in the shell and akira tower above anything else, not counting some ghibli efforts (which of course are not manga, but the genre I mean) - why?

peanutbutter

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 05, 2019, 09:57:32 PM
I've never really got how there is only a handful, at best, of truly great manga movies - ghost in the shell and akira tower above anything else, not counting some ghibli efforts (which of course are not manga, but the genre I mean) - why?
It's the production approach, it's something that evolved from something not unlike your hanna barbera cheap as chips quickly pushed out trash, isn't it?
If we're viewing Miyazaki and Takahata as some kind of weird outlier from the Japanese animation industry, then Satoshi Kon is really the only manga auteur who produced multiple works that were acclaimed from beyond manga circles.

I certainly rate the three films of his I've seen over Ghost in the Shell (didn't even like 2 of them that much) and I think Akira's greatness is at largely attributable because of how it embodies 80s Japanese excesses so thoroughly. The budget of Akira was surely multitudes of Ghost in the Shell?

There's occasionally ones who garner a bit of attention though, Makoto Shinkai is probably the most acclaimed currently (thought Your Name was a load of bollocks though, tbh)

Sin Agog

Maybe there have been mo' better series, but you really ought to watch yourself Angel's Egg (made in that brief window of opportunity after Akira became an international success) and Mind Game, and a bunch more interesting shit in that vein. It's more a case of the web of things allowed to cross over to the West having very fine meshing.  There have been a lot of more low-key, well-observed character pieces that seem to have found a casual weeaboo audience in recent years, though.

bgmnts

I'd be interested in a Cowboy Bebop film, like its sucessor Firefly did, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Unsure if Akira is even worth a watch, looks like it takes itself too seriously.

Sin Agog

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2019, 09:59:22 AM
I'd be interested in a Cowboy Bebop film, like its sucessor Firefly did, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Unsure if Akira is even worth a watch, looks like it takes itself too seriously.

I just

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275277/

don't think

it'll ever

happen. :(

Blumf

Patlabor 2 makes for a good political thriller. Then you read up on it and see you're missing a whole bunch of criticism of Japanese politics.

As for the Akira sequel, not holding out much hope.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 06, 2019, 09:52:49 AM
Maybe there have been mo' better series, but you really ought to watch yourself Angel's Egg (made in that brief window of opportunity after Akira became an international success) and Mind Game, and a bunch more interesting shit in that vein. It's more a case of the web of things allowed to cross over to the West having very fine meshing.  There have been a lot of more low-key, well-observed character pieces that seem to have found a casual weeaboo audience in recent years, though.
Probably part of the issue tbh, that's very fine meshing with largely atrocious taste.

Alberon

Cowboy Bebop is getting a live-action adaptation on Netflix. I'd prefer a sequel anime series it should go almost without saying.

I did like the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex tv series (not so much the Arise reboot). It seems like more in the Stand Alone Complex timeline is coming, also through Netflix, but anime this time.

I remember being hooked on a weird little series called Serial Experiments Lain years ago.

There is good stuff out there, but it's harder to find it among all the crap than, for instance, Hollywood's output.

Sin Agog

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 06, 2019, 10:56:27 AM
Probably part of the issue tbh, that's very fine meshing with largely atrocious taste.

Didn't mean weeaboo in the sitting through endless charge-ups for a DBZ power move that may or may not come in ten episodes sense, just someone who follows the medium.  There's a really lovely Japanese indie movie scene that doesn't quite exist on the same scale anymore in most of the rest of the world, and might not even be as thriving in Japan anymore (the '00s seemed to be its apex).  Chilled, sweet little things like A Gentle Breeze in the Village, Shunji Iwai's stuff and the Little Forest movies.  The Japanese being the Japanese see anime more as a type of lens than anything requiring a particularly unique type of story or treatment, naturally parleyed that style into sweet, low-key anime like A Silent Voice, Colourful and The Garden of Words.  They do tend to compartmentalize according to the different markets and the genders of the audience, and I guess it's inevitable that the violent dystopic male shit would be the most visible, but there's good things throughout it all.  Even the mega-violent no-hope movies sometimes have their artistry, like in Midori: https://vimeo.com/106288815 (very NSFW).

Because manga series tend to be so long that they're difficult to condense into movies, so you usually find they become anime series. I recently finished the Akira manga and it's insane how they managed to get one reasonably coherent film out of it. It's got about five films worth of material, if not several more.

Berserk was turned into three movies but it was a bit crap. You're much better off with the 97 anime series which only covers one arc, and it's one of the best things ever of anything.

Glebe

Interesting. I've never read the original manga, but the movie is cracking, hopefully the 4K remaster will see a release over here!