Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Guardian decides it is good

Started by pancreas, July 06, 2019, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

https://www.theguardian.com/membership/2019/jul/06/the-art-of-the-political-sketch-these-days-its-a-form-of-truth-telling

In which the Guardian interviews itself and finds in its own favour:

QuoteWhat is the Guardian's place amid all these changes?
We have a top, top team. We are one of the few papers which is genuinely independent, which means we are fair in both directions.

Yes, particularly when you repeated all the antisemitism accusations without finding a single dissenting voice.

QuoteAnd we have been proved right so many times.

Absolutely, Guardian, absolutely. The Iraq war, for example.

QuoteWhen May was touted as a strong woman who could deliver Brexit, the Guardian said "hang on, she doesn't have a plan!".

What, it was you that noticed that was it, Guardian? Christ, what would we do without you?

QuoteWe have never been a cheerleader for one side or the other,

Don't be ridiculous! You've always stuck up for yourselves.

Quotewhich probably irritates some people on occasion, but we're not there just to bash the Tories – and equally when I write something disobliging about Corbyn, I get stick for it.

A fair point. It's like when Theresa May deports hundreds of black people after losing all their documents and Corbyn lays a wreath somewhere in the distant past for some terrorists who were buried somewhere else. These things are similar and deserve the equal coverage that they got.

Long may you live, Guardian.

thenoise

Guardian in smug cunts shocker.

mothman

Ugh. Thing is though, Crace as a parliamentary sketch writer is actually OK. He's no Hoggart, lacks that subtlety - but in the recent far-from-subtle parliamentary goings-on, his style suits the madness quite well.

grassbath

Out of interest... for those on the left who have suddenly found it fashionable to slag off the Guardian - what is the mainstream alternative? When it goes, what is there left in terms of a widely read media outlet which will openly criticise the Tories?

It's like people who have started mercilessly slagging off 6 Music. You'd be a lot more miserable if it wasnt there to reliably play Uptown Top Ranking once a week, wouldn't you?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: grassbath on July 06, 2019, 05:29:50 PM
Out of interest... for those on the left who have suddenly found it fashionable to slag off the Guardian - what is the mainstream alternative? When it goes, what is there left in terms of a widely read media outlet which will openly criticise the Tories?

It's like people who have started mercilessly slagging off 6 Music. You'd be a lot more miserable if it wasnt there to reliably play Uptown Top Ranking once a week, wouldn't you?

Bullshit.

Find your own path.

thenoise

I haven't regularly bought a newspaper in 20 years.

pigamus

What, we should be grateful, should we? Stay in our box and know our place? There's a name for that kind of philosophy.

hummingofevil

For me it was really simple. I used to buy it on a Saturday and read The Guide but there was one week where there was a load of features about Climate Change which were really good and then a car section which was raving about the latest Bentleys. All felt a bit daft and meaningless so that was last one I ever bought. I browse the website now and again but mainly get my news from here and Twitter now. Well I say news more like daily bits of information I can scream at the screen at.

Twed

Ah that's right, being left of centre is always an affectation isn't it? It couldn't possibly be real or informed, like your common sense opinions.

Get back to your shed.

BlodwynPig

It was ok when we used to have sheds to retire to, tea and crumpets in the gloaming, peace in the garden, Morse on the TV...all was alright with the world. We didnt realise we occupied a fantasy world, pretend liberal centrism. We thought we were Marxists, rebels against the corrupt Tory rule. FUCK MAGGIE.

In truth, we were far far worse. So, we moved to a new place, a place of humility and introspection, mixing humour with cynicism.

The Guardian never moved with us.

mothman

Quote from: pigamus on July 06, 2019, 05:44:20 PM
What, we should be grateful, should we? Stay in our box and know our place? There's a name for that kind of philosophy.

That's not what I said at all. The fuck are you on? So sorry to derail your pathetic little Five Minute Hate against anybody who dares to shoe the Blessed Jezza anything less than the absolute reverence you seem to think he's due.

pigamus

Quote from: mothman on July 06, 2019, 06:47:04 PM
That's not what I said at all. The fuck are you on? So sorry to derail your pathetic little Five Minute Hate against anybody who dares to shoe the Blessed Jezza anything less than the absolute reverence you seem to think he's due.

Eh? I wasn't replying to you, was I?

honeychile

This is my favourite recent quote from a Guardian article:

QuoteChris and his partner's combined annual income places them comfortably in the top 1% of earners in the US – but not in San Francisco, which recently achieved the dubious distinction of having the most billionaires per capita in the world. He said that the "cost/benefit perspective" on San Francisco was no longer working for him.

"It's just not sustainable for a couple to live here," he said. "A million-plus for a home with $300,000 down? Then when we have kids, $30,000 a year for private school? Who can afford that even making $300,000 a year?"

Twed

"She arrived in 2007 to study at San Francisco State University and had a career in the arts before attending a coding bootcamp and landing a job at a major tech company."

Jesus Christ stop hiring people from coding bootcamps. Why the hell is a fucking coding bootcamp graduate thrust into earning half a million a year for a tech giant and being outraged about coming into contact with a homeless person but this shouldn't happen to HER? This foul idiocy is not sustainable

king_tubby

6Music is shit.

The Guardian is shit.

Now then.

Fambo Number Mive

What do people think of the Daily Mirror? I like it's political coverage but I don't think it has the reach of other papers which is a shame. I know Morgan Piers used to edit it but it has improved a lot since then.

Fambo Number Mive

As for the Guardian, it does run important stories which other media ignore sometimes. I think part of the issue is it is too middle class and needs more reporters going out there and speaking to vulnerable people about their issues. Francis Ryan is great but we need more reporting from disabled people and about disability.

Quote from: mothman on July 06, 2019, 06:47:04 PM

very strange

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 06, 2019, 06:02:27 PM
It was ok when we used to have sheds to retire to, tea and crumpets in the gloaming, peace in the garden, Morse on the TV...all was alright with the world. We didnt realise we occupied a fantasy world, pretend liberal centrism. We thought we were Marxists, rebels against the corrupt Tory rule. FUCK MAGGIE.

In truth, we were far far worse. So, we moved to a new place, a place of humility and introspection, mixing humour with cynicism.

The Guardian never moved with us.

yep. but the other thing is (& this goes for 6music too) the internet & all it's brought with it have enabled people to do their own reading of things, their own fact-checking, & their own curation.
that so many people still don't is why things like the daily mail & radio 2 still have a grip, while things like the guardian & 6music are struggling to keep up, let alone lead.

BlodwynPig

Ray Travez

Quote from: pigamus on July 06, 2019, 06:52:19 PM
Eh? I wasn't replying to you, was I?

I think you were replying to Ashbury ;)

SORRY TO SPOIL YOUR WANKFEST OVER JEREMY CORBYN WHO YOU FUCKING LOVE AS IF HE WAS YOUR GIRLFRIEND OR SOMETHING

I AM IN THE RATIONAL CENTRE

WHAT WE NEED IS COMMON SENSE!!

Sin Agog

Did you know that Jeremy Corbyn's family dates back to the very first cell?  He tries to call himself a man of the people, when in reality he's just another aristo.

I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THE CAB HIVEMIND WORSHIPPING AT THE ALTAR OF THE GOD KING CULT LEADER JEREMY CORBYN AND I'M FUCKING FED UP OF PEOPLE SAYING THAT I'M WEIRDLY TOUCHY ABOUT THIS

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 06, 2019, 09:18:30 PM
I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THE CAB HIVEMIND WORSHIPPING AT THE ALTAR OF THE GOD KING CULT LEADER JEREMY CORBYN AND I'M FUCKING FED UP OF PEOPLE SAYING THAT I'M WEIRDLY TOUCHY ABOUT THIS

there, there. it's not just you, you know.

BlodwynPig

IF ONLY CORBYN COULD BE MORE LIKE BORIS OR CHUKKA THE WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE

WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THE CALM AND RATIONAL CENTRE!!!!!!!!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 06, 2019, 09:21:49 PM
WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THE CALM AND RATIONAL CENTRE!!!!!!!!

WE NEVER LEFT!!