Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Guardian decides it is good

Started by pancreas, July 06, 2019, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New folder

We at The Guardian like to have some lies for balance as well as truths... it makes sense long live centrism

Why is Jess Phillips always fucking there as well? Why is she getting promoted and why does she get to have her opinions and face published over and over again. Oh hey Jess nice bag, great seeing you in Vogue - so inspiring. Here on the Guardian we need more female opinions, and you are the one!

I mean look at this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/17/why-is-it-so-hard-for-labour-to-find-a-woman-for-its-inner-circle

The article isn't even about Jess cunting Phillips, but there is massive picture of her face with a halo looking like a titted Bowie with big letters spelling PROGRESS behind her - in case you need your quick and 'balanced' association that Jess Phillips = PROGRESS. If she is progress then I am antigress.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: New folder on July 06, 2019, 09:29:05 PM
We at The Guardian like to have some lies for balance as well as truths... it makes sense long live centrism

Why is Jess Phillips always fucking there as well? Why is she getting promoted and why does she get to have her opinions and face published over and over again. Oh hey Jess nice bag, great seeing you in Vogue - so inspiring. Here on the Guardian we need more female opinions, and you are the one!

I mean look at this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/17/why-is-it-so-hard-for-labour-to-find-a-woman-for-its-inner-circle

The article isn't even about Jess cunting Phillips, but there is massive picture of her face with a halo looking like a titted Bowie with big letters spelling PROGRESS behind her - in case you need your quick and 'balanced' association that Jess Phillips = PROGRESS. If she is progress then I am antigress.

an tigress

Johnny Yesno

I think that's her speaking at a Progress event, although I agree that the picture editor or whoever would have chosen it because they thought it was apt. The slope of the text due to the perspective makes it look like there should be a little megaphone in front of the P.

It is a terrible article written by an idiot.

Dr Rock

Guardian shit Jonathan Freedland has just tweeted this, a claim that Labour is legally gagging 'whistleblowers' ahead of the BBC's Labour antisemitism doc.

https://twitter.com/Freedland/status/1147619168474279936

as a comment says

QuoteCan anyone see a date on this? 'cos it looks from the letter itself that this is all about Matthews' previous revelations re Pre-Formby Labour Compliance?

It could have been sent in March and have nothing whatsoever to do with the forthcoming Panorama programme as implied?

The letter mentions Derek Hatton for fucks sake, it seems to have fuck all to do with gagging antisemitism whistleblowers as it heavily implies. Another Guardian smear from king cunt Jonathan Freedland, one of the main reasons I refused to give The Guardian any more money. Oh and David Baddiel retweeted it also.

greencalx

NoSleep

Quote from: mothman on July 06, 2019, 06:47:04 PM
That's not what I said at all. The fuck are you on? So sorry to derail your pathetic little Five Minute Hate against anybody who dares to shoe the Blessed Jezza anything less than the absolute reverence you seem to think he's due.

Where did that come from? What an idiotic response.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 07, 2019, 07:34:28 AM
Guardian shit Jonathan Freedland has just tweeted this, a claim that Labour is legally gagging 'whistleblowers' ahead of the BBC's Labour antisemitism doc.

https://twitter.com/Freedland/status/1147619168474279936

as a comment says

The letter mentions Derek Hatton for fucks sake, it seems to have fuck all to do with gagging antisemitism whistleblowers as it heavily implies. Another Guardian smear from king cunt Jonathan Freedland, one of the main reasons I refused to give The Guardian any more money. Oh and David Baddiel retweeted it also.

Wait, you gave millionaire owned The Guardian money?

Oh, you fucking doofus. Better spent on actual needy causes. You're propping up neu-liberal institutions hell bent on destroying your own future

RDRR

Quote from: NoSleep on July 07, 2019, 10:05:57 AM
Where did that come from? What an idiotic response.

Stay out of this bitch

Sebastian Cobb

I mean look at this:

There are quite a few women on the Labour front bench, but the problem the Guardian has is none of those women are centrist icons like Jess Phillips or Stella Creasy.

Did you see the latter wanted to do away with manifestos, and just having a list of 5 things they want to solve (isn't that just a really half-arsed manifesto?). It's almost as if she wants government to be a succession of management teams with no accountability.

kittens

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 07, 2019, 01:00:25 PM
this gets more and more intriguing

this goes way deeper than you could possibly imagine. follow my advice and stay out of it

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kittens on July 07, 2019, 01:10:16 PM
this goes way deeper than you could possibly imagine. follow my advice and stay out of it

How are you "in the know"?

Jockice

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 06, 2019, 08:22:44 PM
As for the Guardian, it does run important stories which other media ignore sometimes. I think part of the issue is it is too middle class and needs more reporters going out there and speaking to vulnerable people about their issues. Francis Ryan is great but we need more reporting from disabled people and about disability.

Yip Frances is great. I've had a couple of chats with her on Twitter and she said that on her first trip to the office she felt a bit out of place not because of her disability, but because she has a Lincolnshire accent. I have mentioned my brief subbing stints in the Guardian's offices more than once before and that I've never heard so many posh voices in the one place at the same time. It's not even middle class, its beyond that. I'm sure that some of the staff's entire knowledge of the working classes is paying their nannies or cleaners. They have no idea at all what is happening outside their little bubble. Which is why we get smug bollocks like Pass Notes and that fake David Cameron's wife's diary thing they had, which is possibly the worst attempt at humour I've ever seen in my life.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Twed on July 06, 2019, 07:31:55 PM
"She arrived in 2007 to study at San Francisco State University and had a career in the arts before attending a coding bootcamp and landing a job at a major tech company."

Jesus Christ stop hiring people from coding bootcamps. Why the hell is a fucking coding bootcamp graduate thrust into earning half a million a year for a tech giant and being outraged about coming into contact with a homeless person but this shouldn't happen to HER? This foul idiocy is not sustainable
I'm not really sure what their point with that was... was it to somehow say she was ideologically better than a computer science graduate because she had a career in the arts? They don't follow through saying she done anything to tackle the problems positively so it feels like that anyway.
Bailing on your dreams and landing a job at a Google/Twitter/Uber/whoever within a few months is as likely to just give you a colossally skewed perspective of either yourself or everyone around you.

Chollis

Quote from: RDRR on July 07, 2019, 12:33:21 PM
Stay out of this bitch

That's not what I said at all. The fuck are you on? So sorry to derail your pathetic little Five Minute Hate against anybody who dares to shoe the Blessed Jezza anything less than the absolute reverence you seem to think he's due.

Ferris

I wonder how the Graun is funded? The newspaper seems to make historic losses year over year, and yet keeps rolling.

A bit of digging on google and you can have an educated guess based on publicly available information. Makes the smugness grate a bit though.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 08, 2019, 02:08:35 AM
I wonder how the Graun is funded? The newspaper seems to make historic losses year over year, and yet keeps rolling.

A bit of digging on google and you can have an educated guess based on publicly available information. Makes the smugness grate a bit though.

Not sure what you mean by 'digging'. It's not a secret. It's on their wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Trust_Limited

It does mean the future of the news group is somewhat reliant on the finance industry, though.

imitationleather

It does have David Squires, so it can't be all bad.

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

I thought it's been haemorrhaging money for over a decade.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2019, 09:53:38 AM
I thought it's been haemorrhaging money for over a decade.

Kept afloat by loons like Dr. Rock

Dr Rock

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 08, 2019, 11:20:15 AM
Kept afloat by loons like Dr. Rock

I stopped giving it any money 20 years ago you dirty dirty smear-merchant. They had Jon Ronson then.

Ferris

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 08, 2019, 11:44:48 AM
I stopped giving it any money 20 years ago you dirty dirty smear-merchant. They had Jon Ronson then.

I was an overseas subscriber until around 2014. No more, obv.

They had Lee, Brooker and Ronson writing regular columns. Now they have unhappy new graduates and the lass who won bake-off writing their hottest takes on wokeness or some shit they saw on Twitter.

Doomy Dwyer

I always found it quite telling that Waitrose offered a free copy of either the Guardian or the Mail if you spent over a fiver in their outlets (I believe it's a tenner now. I wouldn't know. I don't shop in supermarkets anymore. I don't have a mobile. I don't have a TV. I've never been on facebook and I don't know what Twitter is. I have never drunk in Starbucks, Costa or their ilk. I'm boycotting Wetherspoons even though I'v never been there either, god, can you imagine? I practice mindfulness, but not the type that you do. I consider myself sympathetic to XR but am opposed to face painting) as they both cater to essentially the same audience: middle class, comfortable, narrow minded and paranoid, turds.  The game was up for the Guardian, really, when it went over to the Berliner format and it was made glaringly apparent that style had become far more important than content. That must have been back in about 2004/2005, so it's been absolute bollocks for well over a decade or more. There are, of course, the occasional bright spots. I like Gary Younge a lot, Nick Davies (sadly seldom seen these days) is a god – read Dark Heart -  and despite her constant anti-Corbs dripfeed, Marina Hyde. Marina; the Mitford Frankenstein. The archetypal posh bird, and I make no apology for the sexist hate speech. Marina makes Fleabag + The Machine look like a common fish wife. I'm not even punching up so much as flailing at the heavens here. She's ruthless, witty and vicious but, like all satirists, essentially a sanctioned, toothless assassin. I do admire her prose though. Of course, it all adds up to nothing because of the Morgan Connection. Piers is very much her Achilles Arsehole. All the purdy words in the world won't drown out the constant screaming she must hear every second of every day. We all make mistakes. But, personally speaking, I've never fucked Piers Morgan. And I take great comfort in that.

Mind that time Alan Rusbridger learned to play the piano? Who fucking cares? Thomasina, Decca, Felicity and Rhik with his hilarious gadgets, oh how we love them. Fucking Rain Man doing the telly reviews with a stencil. Pass Notes. Is there a feeling on earth more totally demoralising than clicking on a headline and it turning out to be fucking a Pass Notes piece? There should be a warning. It's like the day after Brexit again, pure grief and incomprehension at your own horrifying complicity. How many years has it been going? Has it ever been even vaguely amusing? It has to be a piss take, even the Guardian must have that basic level of self-awareness. There's never been a bandwagon the Guardian hasn't chased, and like most latecomers they tend to shout loudest about equality and fair play to save a bit of face but their stance doesn't seem to be much reflected in their own employment practices. Jelly molded outrage and fake woke lip service. All newspapers have declined – even the Morning Star is a bit dumbed down and tabloidy these days. But the Guardian has fallen further than most, an alarming loss of focus and quality. It's that it's a leap rather than a fall that makes it more upsetting. And the fact that the leap isn't fatal. At least it'd have its dignity then, you could remember its once excellent arts coverage and interesting, probing interviews and features. Now it's like an old lame dog that can't even lick its own balls anymore. Once loved and adored now staggering pointlessly on, stinking of disease and staining the carpet. You'd be better off putting a pillow case over its head, taking out into the garden and hitting it with a shovel until it fucking twitches. 

pancreas

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 08, 2019, 11:44:48 AM

Were they asking for money 20 years ago? Hmmm....

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on July 08, 2019, 11:56:45 AM
I always found it quite telling that Waitrose offered a free copy of either the Guardian or the Mail if you spent over a fiver in their outlets (I believe it's a tenner now. I wouldn't know. I don't shop in supermarkets anymore. I don't have a mobile. I don't have a TV. I've never been on facebook and I don't know what Twitter is. I have never drunk in Starbucks, Costa or their ilk. I'm boycotting Wetherspoons even though I'v never been there either, god, can you imagine? I practice mindfulness, but not the type that you do. I consider myself sympathetic to XR but am opposed to face painting) as they both cater to essentially the same audience: middle class, comfortable, narrow minded and paranoid, turds.  The game was up for the Guardian, really, when it went over to the Berliner format and it was made glaringly apparent that style had become far more important than content. That must have been back in about 2004/2005, so it's been absolute bollocks for well over a decade or more. There are, of course, the occasional bright spots. I like Gary Younge a lot, Nick Davies (sadly seldom seen these days) is a god – read Dark Heart -  and despite her constant anti-Corbs dripfeed, Marina Hyde. Marina; the Mitford Frankenstein. The archetypal posh bird, and I make no apology for the sexist hate speech. Marina makes Fleabag + The Machine look like a common fish wife. I'm not even punching up so much as flailing at the heavens here. She's ruthless, witty and vicious but, like all satirists, essentially a sanctioned, toothless assassin. I do admire her prose though. Of course, it all adds up to nothing because of the Morgan Connection. Piers is very much her Achilles Arsehole. All the purdy words in the world won't drown out the constant screaming she must hear every second of every day. We all make mistakes. But, personally speaking, I've never fucked Piers Morgan. And I take great comfort in that.

Mind that time Alan Rusbridger learned to play the piano? Who fucking cares? Thomasina, Decca, Felicity and Rhik with his hilarious gadgets, oh how we love them. Fucking Rain Man doing the telly reviews with a stencil. Pass Notes. Is there a feeling on earth more totally demoralising than clicking on a headline and it turning out to be fucking a Pass Notes piece? There should be a warning. It's like the day after Brexit again, pure grief and incomprehension at your own horrifying complicity. How many years has it been going? Has it ever been even vaguely amusing? It has to be a piss take, even the Guardian must have that basic level of self-awareness. There's never been a bandwagon the Guardian hasn't chased, and like most latecomers they tend to shout loudest about equality and fair play to save a bit of face but their stance doesn't seem to be much reflected in their own employment practices. Jelly molded outrage and fake woke lip service. All newspapers have declined – even the Morning Star is a bit dumbed down and tabloidy these days. But the Guardian has fallen further than most, an alarming loss of focus and quality. It's that it's a leap rather than a fall that makes it more upsetting. And the fact that the leap isn't fatal. At least it'd have its dignity then, you could remember its once excellent arts coverage and interesting, probing interviews and features. Now it's like an old lame dog that can't even lick its own balls anymore. Once loved and adored now staggering pointlessly on, stinking of disease and staining the carpet. You'd be better off putting a pillow case over its head, taking out into the garden and hitting it with a shovel until it fucking twitches.

I'm sure I read this piece in The Guardian, circa 2018. Excellent. Where can I subscribe? Perhaps Dr. Rock has the bank details.

Dr Rock

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 08, 2019, 12:08:25 PM
Were they asking for money 20 years ago? Hmmm....

I just mean I bought the paper. I've never donated fuck all. Yeah eat my double negative.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 08, 2019, 12:16:13 PM
I just mean I bought the paper. I've never donated fuck all. Yeah eat my double negative.

Christ, he even BOUGHT THE PAPER - Too good to be nicking it from a Menzies like the rest of us.

Icehaven