Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:38:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo DS with Micro SD Card Packed With Roms

Started by Sin Agog, July 06, 2019, 09:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Was thinking of doing this.  Every good game on there in one place looks pretty appetizing.  That's probably one of the better consoles for RPGs.  Do they save alright- anyone else tried it?

Even better. Get a 3DS, hack it and pirate the entire history of 3DS, DS and probably GBA.

Dog Botherer

haven't done it personally but considered it quite seriously for a while. apparently it works quite well, especially since they basically nerfed the DS's internet capabilities. also a good idea considering most of the biggest DS titles have retained their value, getting a second hand Pokémon game for less than $40 isn't easy.

I bought an R4 card back in the day for my DS and I still think it could be the best library of games of any system until the Switch.

lazarou

I used to have one of those setups back in the day but sold it years ago. Decided on a whim to get another one a couple of months back, glad I did. Peek around a little on ebay and it's not too hard to find people selling off their old DSes complete with flashcards. They have to be fairly low-key about it as eBay aren't too keen on those, but it didn't take long to find a nice condition DS with a TTDS card already loaded with games for around $50.

NoSleep

I've got an Edge card running on a DS Lite with a 16GB MicroSD card. The Edge and iEdge were simplest ones to set up, as there was no need for any patching rigmarole to get games running on them; just drag the ROMs onto the SD card.

Best fun has been getting acquainted with the emulation software that's been developed for the DS via these cards, so you can play GB & GBC, NES, SNES, SCUMM & Arcade games. It's possible to have every single ROM made for the GB & GBC installed in less than 600MB (even less if you stick to only English language "!" ROMs and stick to a single version per game).

DCEmuUK are one of the best sites for finding out about emulation software for the DS: http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk

I've been think of "upgrading" to one of the handhelds that are purpose built for emulation and can handle Playstation games.

EDIT: More relevant DS-related link to DCEmuUK

NoSleep

Quote from: lazarou on July 07, 2019, 08:35:43 AM
I used to have one of those setups back in the day but sold it years ago. Decided on a whim to get another one a couple of months back, glad I did. Peek around a little on ebay and it's not too hard to find people selling off their old DSes complete with flashcards. They have to be fairly low-key about it as eBay aren't too keen on those, but it didn't take long to find a nice condition DS with a TTDS card already loaded with games for around $50.

Bought an immaculate DS Lite from CEX for £30 to replace my old one with a cracked/loose hinge just the other day.

lazarou

Yeah, mine was a white Lite and in great condition. There's such a ridiculous amount of those kicking around that you can easily get a very decent one for next to nothing. I just paid a wee bit extra for the convenience of having a flashcard bundled in with the auction.

SavageHedgehog

The 208 in 1 DS Multicart you can get for £15-20 is great stuff, runs and saves perfectly (as far as I've found) works in the 3DS line too.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 06, 2019, 09:08:11 PM
That's probably one of the better consoles for RPGs.

Make sure and play Radiant Historia.

QuoteDo they save alright- anyone else tried it?

The Edge/iEdge card saves perfectly. The saves are a separate file from the ROM with the same name and the suffix ".sav", so it's simple to trash a game from the card but keep your progress for another time.

Sebastian Cobb

I've got an original DS and a supercard which is the compact flash equivalent of this.

It used the GBA slot, and required a bit of Chinese Software that barely made sense to change the addresses in the rom, so is probably useless now. That's if the battery in the DS isn't humped.

NoSleep

Was looking on ebay earlier today. The Edge cards are scarcer (and costlier than a new one was) than the R4 cards (which are going down in price). The main difference was that ROMs just worked on the Edge. Never looked into it but you have to patch ROMs to work on the R4; I don't think it was anything too complicated.

buntyman

I can vouch for the Edge ones, very easy to use after the small amount of faffing I had to do with the R4. Still use it for long journeys to this day

NoSleep

Ah yes, it was you that recommended them to me. Thanks.

Bazooka

I'll never try and hack any console again since the fool proof method of hacking a PSP, turned my PSP into a knob head.

Just browsing the best 3DS games lists and I was struck by how shit the 3DS really was compared to the DS. I might get myself another DS.

Edit: Just found my DS! Woooo!

NoSleep

Quote from: Bazooka on July 09, 2019, 09:07:08 AM
I'll never try and hack any console again since the fool proof method of hacking a PSP, turned my PSP into a knob head.

No hacking needed with the DS, DS lite or DSi. Like the Dreamcast before them, they arrived in a state where you didn't need to hack them.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 09, 2019, 09:08:51 AM
Just browsing the best 3DS games lists and I was struck by how shit the 3DS really was compared to the DS. I might get myself another DS.

Edit: Just found my DS! Woooo!

I was gonna argue with this but you're right. It's night and day.

The best 3DS games are all ports, but they're amazing ports. Ocarina has never been better, for example. The very best are the M2 Sega Ages ports of OutRun and Space Harrier and After Burner, though. The 3D effect seems almost perfectly designed for those Yu Suzuki weird stereoscopic masterpieces. Definitive.

madhair60

Don't forget Galaxy Force mate. fucking whoooooooooooooaaaaaaa mate mental

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 09:18:21 AM
I was gonna argue with this but you're right. It's night and day.

Its apples and potatoes, the 3DS has the VC and obviously better eshop, the DS though with its backwards compatibility with GBA games which were cheap as chips at the time, was wonderful. But the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS, oh its all apples and turnips.

NoSleep

OT: Is there anything like the R4 or the Edge card for the 3DS?

Bazooka

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 09, 2019, 09:53:44 AM
The best 3DS games are all ports, but they're amazing ports. Ocarina has never been better, for example. The very best are the M2 Sega Ages ports of OutRun and Space Harrier and After Burner, though. The 3D effect seems almost perfectly designed for those Yu Suzuki weird stereoscopic masterpieces. Definitive.

Shin Megami Tensei, Resident Evil Revelations, Bravely Default, Kirby Planet Robobobot, Monster Hunter 4, Dragon Quest xi, no way Jose, althought the M2 releases are excellent.

I will give you SMT, BD and DQXI because I don't play the genre but Resi Revelations is both average and superceded elsewhere. MH4 is superceded. Kirby may well be good, I didn't play it. It's a system that lives off other systems, frankly. The 3D Land is OK but worse than the 3D World equivalent, as are Smash and Mario Maker. The best games are ports, predominantly, and there are very few reasons to actually buy a 3DS. One of the main reasons is actually to play DS games on a more comfortable system. I'm sure I could name twenty or thirty unique reasons to buy a DS.

madhair60

Quote from: NoSleep on July 09, 2019, 10:09:34 AM
OT: Is there anything like the R4 or the Edge card for the 3DS?

No but it's very easy to hack.

madhair60

There are gobs and gobs of great 3DS games but a lot of them are RPGs or tactics games that I don't give a shit about. The rest are mainly ports or sequels to DS games. It's a great system with a huge library but it's difficult to get wildly enthusiastic about at this point. Rhythm Heaven/Wario Ware Gold justify it alone, frankly, but those are ultimately just compilations. There's also a couple of excellent Kirby games, but they're Kirby games so you'll love or hate. Planet Robobot is the best one and possibly the best Kirby, period.

Oh, Luigi's Mansion 2 is fucking brilliant.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 09, 2019, 11:41:14 AM
I will give you SMT, BD and DQXI because I don't play the genre but Resi Revelations is both average and superceded elsewhere. MH4 is superceded. Kirby may well be good, I didn't play it. It's a system that lives off other systems, frankly. The 3D Land is OK but worse than the 3D World equivalent, as are Smash and Mario Maker. The best games are ports, predominantly, and there are very few reasons to actually buy a 3DS. One of the main reasons is actually to play DS games on a more comfortable system. I'm sure I could name twenty or thirty unique reasons to buy a DS.

Did you play RE: Revelations on the 3DS or the big console ports, just curious?

Switch, in fact. Total waste of money to me but I get that people will like it.

lazyhour

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 09, 2019, 11:41:14 AM
The 3D Land is OK but worse than the 3D World equivalent, as are Smash and Mario Maker.

On this point, I'd say Mario Maker may be a better interactive level-creation experience on the Wii U, but it's a better single-player Mario game on the 3ds. All the 3ds's Nintendo-made levels and challenges are fantastic and there are loads of them to boot.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 09, 2019, 12:21:30 PM
Switch, in fact. Total waste of money to me but I get that people will like it.

I don't want to derail the thread anymore than I have, but yeah it was meant to be played on the 3DS, and pushed the system to its CPU limit so Im told by some boffins.