Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo DS with Micro SD Card Packed With Roms

Started by Sin Agog, July 06, 2019, 09:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: lazyhour on July 09, 2019, 09:14:47 PM
On this point, I'd say Mario Maker may be a better interactive level-creation experience on the Wii U, but it's a better single-player Mario game on the 3ds. All the 3ds's Nintendo-made levels and challenges are fantastic and there are loads of them to boot.

I'd also concretely say Smash 3DS is the better package than the Wii U offering, yes the actual Smash Bros fighting is better obviously, but as a game, modes etc , the 3DS version is much better.

Sin Agog

Quote from: NoSleep on July 07, 2019, 10:40:48 AM
Make sure and play Radiant Historia.

The Edge/iEdge card saves perfectly. The saves are a separate file from the ROM with the same name and the suffix ".sav", so it's simple to trash a game from the card but keep your progress for another time.

Chars for this.  Been playing it for a couple of hours, and love its dark spritey ambience.  Plus I have a thing for liminal 'in-between worlds' and this really scratches that itch.

It's weird how so many of every system's best games came right at the end of their lifespans.

studpuppet

So I've got my DS Lite up and running with an Edge card and 32GBs to play with. I could just dump on every ROM under the sun, or I could add one of those internet lists of the top 25 DS games eVah.

But if I wanted one decent version of each kind of game (scroller, puzzler, RPG, Sports, etc) what should I stick on there? I've obviously got enough space that I can compare and contrast games if there are several vying for the crown.

NoSleep

Every DS game wouldn't fit into a mere 32gb. There was a torrent of every English ROM, around 2010, that already totalled over 55gb. You've got plenty of space to play with, though, as most of those games are not going to be of interest.

studpuppet

Exactly. Also - from experience - the more ROMS available, the less I play. It also takes ages to scroll through them at startup (I managed to pick up four Edge cards for a tenner, so having all ROMs easily available IS an unfortunately option).

NoSleep

Best bet is to folder the games up (allowable); I've got mine in genre-related folders (numbered so that they are the first entries in the directory).

Some of the homebrew/emulation stuff needs to be located in the root directory, or at least the folders where you keep the ROMs.

There was a huge quantity of absolute shite released on the DS, cashing in on the Nintendogs/Brain Training boom, so I reckon you'd get everything worth playing on that 32GB card.

NoSleep

madhair60

Quote from: studpuppet on July 30, 2019, 12:24:40 PM
So I've got my DS Lite up and running with an Edge card and 32GBs to play with. I could just dump on every ROM under the sun, or I could add one of those internet lists of the top 25 DS games eVah.

But if I wanted one decent version of each kind of game (scroller, puzzler, RPG, Sports, etc) what should I stick on there? I've obviously got enough space that I can compare and contrast games if there are several vying for the crown.

42 All-Time Classics - loads of card games and that, amazing value.

Planet Puzzle League - glorious version of Tetris Attack aka the best active puzzler.

Slitherlink - Japanese language but incredibly easy to grasp and utterly fiendish line-drawing wonder.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - The best Advance Wars game, makes up for lesser charm than GBA originals by being superbly balanced.

Chrono Trigger - best SNES JRPG, but on toilet.

Sonic Rush - terrifically exciting 2D Sonic game, with great music

Rhythm Heaven Paradise - genius rhythm action toybox

Professor Layton and the Curious Village - charming puzzle-solving adventure, like one of those Usborne puzzle adventure book things.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Compelling, funny, thrilling visual novel. The only one in the series that's really worth playing though.

Ghost Trick - completely unique adventure game in which you possess objects to manipulate events

NoSleep

Quote from: madhair60 on July 30, 2019, 01:04:15 PM
Chrono Trigger - best SNES JRPG, but on toilet.

The toilet was what was missing in the original.

studpuppet

Cheers: will download and then wait for the toilet to become free at home later.

Barry Admin

I was really happy to have my DS Lite by my bed when I was more or less bed-ridden over the last few weeks. I've a ton of stuff on there, but the game I mostly ended up playing was a superb little RPG called Suikoden Tierkreis. I've put 12 hours into it so far and feel like I'm only starting to really uncover the storyline - which, by the way, is great. Quite complex but rolled out bit by bit as you go along, such that there's always some new and interesting event around the corner.

Lovely little animated cutscenes at times as well, with a very familiar Layton-esque animation style. Main character does talk too fast, but that's okay, sort of fits his impetuous character I guess.

The map seems pretty open too, you can travel back and forth and pick up quests in a fairly free manner. You can even trade goods, buying and selling in various locations, and the games seasons change as you travel.

I'd been thinking of starting a thread about it, can definitely recommend it highly. Well worth a go.

studpuppet

Sorry - was only after toilet-friendly games, not bed ones. (Will give it a go though...)

Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan (whatever it's called) are also great rhythm/music games.

I also quite enjoyed Hotel Dusk, a visual novel with lots of interesting and distinctive little ideas.

studpuppet

Cheers - trying Chrono Trigger this evening...