Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WE ARE GIVING NEIL SOME MONEY

Started by pigamus, July 07, 2019, 05:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

I don't know if this would be of any help at all, but a member of my family works at a high-end bedding store - I could sort you out some comfy bed sheets or a good thermal blanket? Apologies if this is a rubbish offer.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 08, 2019, 05:21:48 PM
Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2019, 04:56:56 PMAnd finally I think I'm gonna be able to afford a high bed frame of some description!

Don't buy anything until I've sent you a link (need to find it first).  I got a reinforced high bed frame a year or two ago and it's been fabulous.  Lifetime guarantee.  Now it's just the mattress that's giving way...

Here's the one: Briony King Size in Black:
https://www.reinforcedbeds.co.uk/collections/cast-iron-beds/products/briony-bed?variant=31160997389

Rated at 40 stone / 254kg max per person; 65 stone / 412kg max across two people, which is ample even for a huge bastard like me.  With an underbed clearance of 350mm or 385mm (you choose which at build-time) it's also proven great for storage.

Unfortunately it's showing as Sold Out at the moment with no indication of when it might be back in.  Might be worth asking them.

The only one they seem to have in stock right now is the Double in Ivory:
https://www.reinforcedbeds.co.uk/collections/cast-iron-beds/products/briony-bed?variant=31818074061

but they have loads of other styles to choose from anyway. 

Presumably you might want a longer style anyway if you can afford it.

Not tried their special mattresses but if you buy one at the same time you get a 5% discount apparently.

Admittedly not cheap (although it was a good deal cheaper two years ago) but well worth it -- solid as a rock.

Barry Admin

Oof, way too expensive, thanks anyway for the help and research, really appreciate it! I'll get a high frame off Amazon or the like.

d_c_t that's very kind of you, but I've got sheets and stuff, thanks anyway for the kind thought.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2019, 07:13:49 PMOof, way too expensive, thanks anyway for the help and research, really appreciate it! I'll get a high frame off Amazon or the like.

Just not bloody Argos, they always fall apart!

And yeah, there's no way I could have afforded that on my own (even though it was a hundred quid cheaper back then for the King than that Double is now!), but a kindly relative chipped in loanwise when she found out that, like you, I was sleeping on the slant on a collapsed box bed.

Talking of loans, it seems they do do finance but of course you may not be eligible.

pancreas

Sorry to hear Barry. Just consider pulling yourself together as soon as you can.

Cerys

Dammit, Neil, now all I want to do is cuddle you until the pain goes away.  And since (a) you're on the other side of the Irish sea, and (b) cuddling you would probably cause you more pain rather than less, I'm just going to have to be content with lambasting myself for calling you a clumsy Irish knobhead.  Virtual cuddles?

Glebe

I gave a mere £20 to Neil because I am a cheap bastard not all that flush, but I'll contribute more in due course.

Barry Admin

Please don't mate, that's loads, you've all been way too kind already, no need for more.

Cerys, aww thanks. Back to cuddling Mr Jelly, we were lying last night at 20 to 3 facing each other, and just loving being back together.

I'm exhausted, good spirits again though. Pain relief still not satisfactory. Missed out on loads yesterday as they were sending me home with morphine, and that meant they couldn't prescribe any until my things came back from the pharmacy. So I'd been told the ambulance was booked for 6, and got more and more anxious as we got nearer that time - the thought of making the journey home, plus getting down and up all my stairs, bloody hell.

Was really nervous about getting out aside from that. I'm pretty well settled now though, my Mum and sister have been absolutely amazing. My sister has made me food up until Sunday dinner inclusive, and added loads of funny wee notes and stuff. My mum is working away here tidying and stuff for hours. Last night was tough - bear in mind I'd been out of action due to another surgery a month previous - but they've gone above and beyond to provide me with comfort, and make things easier for me.

I finally got to see my xrays before I left hospital, absolutely crac... brilliant. I don't know why I was surprised to find out the big nail from my knee to my ankle had been hammered in; why use a nail otherwise? They don't give a toss about the fibula fracture, but the tibia one is massive, absolutely no fucking about, and I can see exactly where it was nearly coming through the skin.

Ambulance ride home I was mostly quiet and nervous, but eventually came out with "I didn't know you also did deliveries!" - I'm actually pretty funny in real life, you'd be surprised.

Glebe

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 10, 2019, 05:38:25 PMPlease don't mate, that's loads, you've all been way too kind already, no need for more.

I really should have made a proper contribution long ago, this forum has provided me with years of fun and laughter (and a few tears, natch) and you've been more than tolerate of all the whimsical nonsense I've spaffed all over it. Hope you're feeling a bit better in any case man.

Barry Admin

Lol I don't think I was too tolerant of it when it was in GB mate tbh :-D I'm glad you've got so much out of the place, that's the main thing.

Thanks, I feel awful but the morphine has been extended and increased so hoping pain will finally get under control. Once pain is better controlled I'll be happier, but I'm doing okay anyway sure, getting there.

While this thread is bumped to the top again, just gonna take the opportunity to once again thank everyone for their kindness and generosity, and say that I'm now working on individual thanks via email. I'm very drowsy most of the time and the last few days have just been about getting me settled back in flat, and making things more comfortable, and I barely have a minute where I'm not either dozing, or texting my Mum and sis about how I am etc. Literally took 5 hours to watch an episode of Killing Eve the other day lol.

I'll post updates in that whoops thread, partly just so I can read it back myself later, as my memory is particularly bad at the moment. This one/these ones can drop sure.

imitationleather

When I fucked up my arm and shoulder last year once they'd seen the X-rays they got me all ready for a morphine drip and I was like "Oh-ho yes, here we go!" and then they didn't bloody give me any. It really made me feel that the whole experience of falling down the stairs had been a massive waste of my time.