Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:27:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Castlevania Series

Started by The Boston Crab, July 07, 2019, 11:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Never really played any of these because they always looked stiff. Also not that keen on spooky or horror games because I'm too susceptible and I will frighten myself.

I tried SotN because I heard it's basically a massive Souls influence but it felt stiff and crep. Anyway, the new Bloodstained game is meant to be very good but rather than buy that I got the Castlevania Anniversary Collection on the Switch. Which ones are meant to be good? I tried Super CV IV, the SNES game and it seems all right but just a bit stiff and hard.

It's got all the NES ones, some GB, couple of SNES and some other. What's the appeal? Where to begin?

madhair60

It is stiff and hard, like my fucking cockslevania. Eyyy. They're all good, they're slow-paced, difficult, deliberate platformers. 1, 3, Super, Bloodlines, Rondo of Blood, Chronicles, Adventure Rebirth, all ace.

The "IGAvania" ones can fuck off frankly. They're good too but fuck em.

Consignia

Only really completed one of them, Circle of The Moon (I think, the first GBA one anyway). That was great fun, don't know why it's forgotten about in the ovum of Castlevania.

LanceUppercut

Only ever played SOTN on XBLA, brilliant game got to 98% complete ,must be missing one room.

Twed

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 07, 2019, 11:18:27 PM
Never really played any of these because they always looked stiff. Also not that keen on spooky or horror games because I'm too susceptible and I will frighten myself.
Same. I don't like dark stuff much. Not scary so much as depressing.

I almost bought Castlevania (a SNES one) in Beatties in Colchester, but there was a weird corruption in the demo unit that made the character (Charlie Belfry) look like he had a cage around him when he jumped, and that confused my mother and me enough to get The Addams Family instead, which I completed that same day.

Thank you for listening to me.

Bazooka

They are all good, just not the 3ds one,Lords of Shadow or whatever its called, Castlevania 64 and Castlevania Adventures (Gameboy) are actually my favourite, not a popular opinions. Portraits of Ruin on the DS is wanking material, its fucking portable gaming Valhalla.

Shaky

A fine series. The GB advance trilogy are all ace, with Aria of Sorrow being my personal favourite. Castlevania 64 is tremendous as well. Sort of weirdly unfinished in certain, almost empty levels but that actually adds to the atmosphere.

They seem really annoying to me. Stiff platforming of the worst NES kind. Stiff combat where you have to jump and swing to clip the leg of a guy on a level above you like in the awful Hollow Knight. Now I understand why you finally clicked with Hollow Knight, madhair60. It's basically a tarted up NES game in terms of the platforming and combat which is precisely what I don't like about it.

These Castlevania games have a good sense of exploring and good atmosphere but the button pushing stuff is bloody awful to me. I'm crap at them in other words but I've never liked this kind of 2D melee action. Mega Man is about my limit because you can shoot. I can accept this is just me rather than the game but it also explains to me why Metroidvania games do nothing for me. Super Metroid is boring and so is Castlevania. I'd probably play a 3D Castlevania game but I suspect it'd be considered shit by fans of CV.

madhair60

They are, but they're generally incorrect. Castlevania 64 has a terrific atmosphere.

Great tune! I also found that the music in general is ace in all the CV games I've tried. I mean, I'll persist because if I started with LoZ2 and LoZ, I'd think jeepers man what's the fuss? They remind me of CPC464 tier games, though. Roland on the Ropes and that, just with much better art direction and music.

Sebastian Cobb

Castlevania is a bigman series