Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:23:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that just made you angry and sad

Started by madhair60, July 08, 2019, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Quote from: chveik on July 08, 2019, 05:00:18 PM
Caché

Oh I don't know, it was self-important wank for the most part but the suicide scene gave me a bigger belly laugh than anything Adam Sandler's ever done.

Twit 2

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 09, 2019, 04:58:47 PM
Carrie.  Really got to me how the title character got treated, and her 'victory' at the end is purely pyrrhic.

Aren't both those the extort point of the book and movie, meaning they did a good job?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 10, 2019, 01:21:34 AM
Aren't both those the extort point of the book and movie, meaning they did a good job?

That is indeed the entire point of the story.

zomgmouse

I was about to say, this thread seems to be split into "this film made me angry and sad because it was so shite" vs "this film made me angry and sad because that was the intended effect".

Twed

Robocop, it's morally repugnant, truly the darkest moment in cinema history. Why can't it be more like the nice Terminator movie?

Twed

Robots are fucking hilarious if you think about it.

Twit 2

Typo: exact, not extort.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Twed on July 10, 2019, 06:22:44 AM
Robocop, it's morally repugnant, truly the darkest moment in cinema history.

What on earth are you talking about

Well the threat title wasn't films that unintentionally left you sad and angry, so it comes under the ambit.

Puce Moment

Those Linklater films with the crackers wondering around major cities spaffing on about this and that.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 10, 2019, 03:54:00 AM
I was about to say, this thread seems to be split into "this film made me angry and sad because it was so shite" vs "this film made me angry and sad because that was the intended effect".
Yeah. I'm going to go with the latter: Apostasy, a terrific British film about Jehovah's Witnesses having a miserable time because they're in a miserable cult run by bastards. Can't look at them the same way now, standing about with their little leaflet trolley. I want to run over and shout WHAT YOU DID TO THAT YOUNG GIRL WAS A SIN! Highly recommended.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2019, 11:49:28 AM
Hateful films like Kingsman and How to Lose Friends and Alienate People which I saw mentioned in another thread. God Bless America, awful. Hated it. Mean, shitty, movies.

Kingsman is mean? Never struck me that way.

non capisco

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 10, 2019, 12:22:19 PM
Yeah. I'm going to go with the latter: Apostasy, a terrific British film about Jehovah's Witnesses having a miserable time because they're in a miserable cult run by bastards. Can't look at them the same way now, standing about with their little leaflet trolley. I want to run over and shout WHAT YOU DID TO THAT YOUNG GIRL WAS A SIN! Highly recommended.

+1, excellent, wonderfully angry film that unfairly flew under the radar.

Frozen, because its audience didn't seem to realise that it was a watered-down, less amusing reconfiguration of Tangled with inferior animation. The reindeer character in Frozen is a complete clone of the horse in Tangled. I also hated the cutesey snowman character who wants to be melted with warm hugses. How insipid.

Honestly, I expect more knowledge and discernment from 6-year-old girls.

Twed

PlanktonSideburns

Call me by your name had me fuming. Was like a completely uncharismatic stranger showing me EVERY bastad one of their holiday pictures.

At least sufjan stevens will probably do something interesting with the soundtrack i think

NOPE IT'S SHITE

Oh having lots of sex on holiday is it mate? How very fucking nice for you. Going down the village on your bicycle are you? Captivating stuff mate. Fucked a pear eh? How very transgresìve! You'll be playing Bach on the piano in the style of list next you precocious little twat!

WHO GIVES A SHIT YOU TEDIOUS FUCKING WANKER

chveik

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: chveik on July 11, 2019, 09:47:50 PM
only paedos enjoyed it I reckon

Peedz, people who automatically assume anything French is top drawer, and tedious holiday wankers

Inspector Norse

Pan's Labyrinth.
Take Spirit of the Beehive - one of my all-time favourite films - and replace its subtlety, sadness and ambiguity with CGI, a one-dimensional cartoon villain, and thuddingly stupid plot logic. Do not credit film you have ripped off but pretend it's all your own invention.
Get five-star reviews from broadsheets.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Inspector Norse on July 11, 2019, 11:22:04 PM
Pan's Labyrinth.
Take Spirit of the Beehive - one of my all-time favourite films - and replace its subtlety, sadness and ambiguity with CGI, a one-dimensional cartoon villain, and thuddingly stupid plot logic. Do not credit film you have ripped off but pretend it's all your own invention.
Get five-star reviews from broadsheets.

I loved Pan's Labyrinth! I haven't seen Spirit of the Beehive but I borrowed it from the library earlier in the week so may watch it at some point in the near future... now that you've mentioned a (possibly more than likely) connection I'm even more intrigued.

imitationleather

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Twed on July 11, 2019, 07:49:40 PM
The Boat That Rocked

Fucking this. A perfectly fine - potentially great - concept for a film completely bollixed up by a lazy, shallow hack. I believe there was at least one distinct thing that fucked me the piss off in every single scene. I probably shaved a full year off my lifespan watching the wretched thing, my blood pressure spiked so much. (Even worse in the US, as the one halfway-clever thing about it - the title - was changed to the prosaic and bland Pirate Radio.)

Also, A Good Year, Ridley Scott's second collaboration with Russell Crowe and by far the worst (and I was never that fond of their first one). A story about rich, overprivileged motherfuckers in fucking Provence being fucking smug fucking assholes and apparently we're supposed to find the fucking fucking fuckers fucking charming or some fucking fucking fucking thing. There's a scene in it depicting American tourists that actually fucking offended me on behalf of my countrymen, and I generally find a good 60% of my countrymen unfuckingbearable, so there's fucking that too.

St_Eddie

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 12, 2019, 04:00:01 PM
Fucking this. A perfectly fine - potentially great - concept for a film completely bollixed up by a lazy, shallow hack. I believe there was at least one distinct thing that fucked me the piss off in every single scene. I probably shaved a full year off my lifespan watching the wretched thing, my blood pressure spiked so much. (Even worse in the US, as the one halfway-clever thing about it - the title - was changed to the prosaic and bland Pirate Radio.)

Also, A Good Year, Ridley Scott's second collaboration with Russell Crowe and by far the worst (and I was never that fond of their first one). A story about rich, overprivileged motherfuckers in fucking Provence being fucking smug fucking assholes and apparently we're supposed to find the fucking fucking fuckers fucking charming or some fucking fucking fucking thing. There's a scene in it depicting American tourists that actually fucking offended me on behalf of my countrymen, and I generally find a good 60% of my countrymen unfuckingbearable, so there's fucking that too.

Quote from: James Cameron to Ridley Scott"Why are you wasting your time making films about people drinking wine in France?"

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on July 10, 2019, 05:47:57 PM
Kingsman is mean? Never struck me that way.

Its mean in the way Kickass is mean I spose taking a lot of enjoyment from killing a lot of people but I think it makes up for it by actually having some political balls, not so common for an action blockbuster these days.

Ornlu

Thirding Harry Brown. It made me angry and sad too, but only because of the chavs.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on July 08, 2019, 12:10:17 PM
Fist Fight from 2017 starring Charlie Day and Ice Cube.  It's just 90 minutes of Charlie's character being bullied and subjected to unfunny, mean-spirited incidents based around a barely-existing story, which then wraps up in a completely unsatisfying and unearned way.  Probably one of the worst comedies of the last decade.

THANK YOU. Whenever I saw this film criticised for meanness anywhere else, people would go 'it's a comedy, it's meant to be over-the-top!!!!' But that's not the point - I love Always Sunny, I understand humour with over-the-top characters being mean. I love the Jump Street films, where Ice Cube is an over-the-top character who insults and abuses the protagonists. This wasn't that. It was just Ice Cube being fucking horrible to Charlie Day in a really weird and humourless way, and everyone else just going along with it. It had such a strange tone. There were no real jokes in Ice Cube's character, he was just a proper nasty cunt.

BritishHobo

I watched a horror film on Netflix a few years back called 'Would You Rather?' which was really mean and horrible, far beyond any other Saw/Hostel-type movie I've ever seen. It has Crabman from My Name is Earl in it. The premise is a mega-rich arsehole invites a load of people to an evening where they will compete for a life-changing amount of money. The lead character needs money for medical treatment for her dying brother, the rest of the characters are in similar dire need. The evening is a game of Would You Rather where the choices are pretty much all variations on 'would you rather stab the person next to you with an ice pick or stab yourself with an ice pick?' Cue an hour of desperate people mutilating themselves and each other in increasingly nasty ways, all shot in a drab, grey room, just screaming and wailing as this rich fuck watches.

I think the one bit that really summed it up for me was there's a moment where Crabman and a couple of the others psych themselves up to fight back and try to escape. But the rich bloke just has loads of massive bodyguards, so the moment they try, each of them is just taken down by a hulking mountain with a gun. There's no tense 'will they get away?' chase. They don't even leave the room. Just grabbed by men much bigger than them and shoved back in their seats. No chance. Pointless cruelty.

Blinder Data

Quote from: chveik on July 11, 2019, 09:47:50 PM
only paedos enjoyed it I reckon

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 11, 2019, 10:58:27 PM
Peedz, people who automatically assume anything French is top drawer, and tedious holiday wankers

Saving this for my 'Film opinions that just make you angry and sad' thread. Call Me By Your Name was wonderful, get off this planet

-----

Left Behind because it's an utterly bizarre watch, a hilariously terrible film. But then there are probably millions who watch it and believe it has some truth about where we're headed as a species, and that does make me sad.

samadriel

All I remember of Tropic Thunder is Jack Black screaming as he goes through heroin withdrawal, and Tom Cruise dancing.  When's the funny bit?

grassbath