Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:46:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that just made you angry and sad

Started by madhair60, July 08, 2019, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: samadriel on July 13, 2019, 12:32:29 PM
All I remember of Tropic Thunder is Jack Black screaming as he goes through heroin withdrawal, and Tom Cruise dancing.  When's the funny bit?

Jack Black screaming as he goes through heroin withdrawal. pretend it's real.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 13, 2019, 12:04:09 PM
Saving this for my 'Film opinions that just make you angry and sad' thread. Call Me By Your Name was wonderful, get off this planet

Yea, you're in the majority for having this opinion, - almost every review of this says its banging, - so im obviously the wanker here.

the only place i could find a review that agreed with me was in the New Yorker,

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-empty-sanitized-intimacy-of-call-me-by-your-name

but even then, there was another review there saying how great it was

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/04/call-me-by-your-name-an-erotic-triumph

garbed_attic

Kick-ass, natch.

Kids - glib, boring and devoid of any charm, compassion, intellectual or moral depth. Loathe.

Queen of Earth - imagine a mumblecore film by a version of Lars Von Trier who takes himself far more seriously than Lars Von Trier does, but more irritating.

Mother! - I've never seen such a fundamentally stupid chin-strikingly "profound" film. Possibly the most allegorically muddled thing I've ever seen. Actually, Aronofsky is probably the director who pisses me off the most, but at least Black Swan was genre cinema with some neat body horror moments.

If Ian McEwan's Saturday is ever made into a film it'll be all but guaranteed to top this list for me. I've never hated a book more.

greenman

Quote from: gout_pony on July 13, 2019, 07:26:45 PMMother! - I've never seen such a fundamentally stupid chin-strikingly "profound" film. Possibly the most allegorically muddled thing I've ever seen. Actually, Aronofsky is probably the director who pisses me off the most, but at least Black Swan was genre cinema with some neat body horror moments.

Seems rather ironic that in considering himself above making pulpy art house drama like Black Swan, The Wrestler or Pi he's had exactly the opposite effect on his public perception.

Sin Agog

I honestly predicted the ensuing decade of nationalist turmoil when the audience at the cinema got up and applauded this speech by Sean Bean in Outlaw:

"What you doing here? I said what the fuck you doing here? Why've you come here? Because you've been abandoned by the powers that be, and there's nowhere else to turn. Jump on a bus with a rucksack full of explosives, Government will dish you out a free car these days, but keep your head down, be a good citizen, and walk without a limp, and you get zip. You count for nothing, and that's why you're all here, and your cries fall on deaf ears, but if you want to spend the rest of your lives getting bullied and raped by cunts like Blair, and having pedophiles running the fucking playgrounds while you smile mute and pay your fucking taxes, then get out the door."

garbed_attic

Quote from: greenman on July 13, 2019, 07:54:43 PM
Seems rather ironic that in considering himself above making pulpy art house drama like Black Swan, The Wrestler or Pi he's had exactly the opposite effect on his public perception.

I think it's a pretty simple case of a talented director not being nearly as smart as he thinks he is

Sebastian Cobb

I thought PI was good and that it's been diminishing returns (with bigger budgets) since then.

Agree about Kids being unpleasant shite though.

Urinal Cake

Slumdog Millionaire- toadiying, sentimental shite.

grassbath

Maybe doesn't count as it's a documentary but Citizenfour made me feel like there was no point in doing anything, ever.

oy vey

Quote from: grassbath on July 14, 2019, 09:59:32 AM
Maybe doesn't count as it's a documentary but Citizenfour made me feel like there was no point in doing anything, ever.

On the contrary, it shows no matter how mundane your activities they will recorded for posterity. Quite uplifting.