Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:58:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Columbo

Started by bgmnts, July 08, 2019, 04:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Shaky on July 19, 2019, 11:57:17 AM
There was talk a few years ago of a reprisal starring Mark Ruffalo as Columbo, possibly because he has similar hair to Peter Falk.

Oh god please no. Not Columbo.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shaky on July 19, 2019, 11:57:17 AM
There was talk a few years ago of a reprisal starring Mark Ruffalo as Columbo, possibly because he has similar hair to Peter Falk.

There's an out-take on one of the Marvel DVDs where he does a Columbo impression.  It's eerie.

Cuellar

I hope they make a 'Young Columbo' type thing, like young Morse and young Prime Suspect

Cuellar

Maybe get Timothy Chalamet to play him

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on July 19, 2019, 10:36:43 AM
He did, I watched it the other day, Identity Crisis from series 5. Features McGoohan disguised as an old man at one point. Leslie Nielsen was the victim and I find it hard to watch him walk into a room without smiling so when he called someone 'amigo' I cracked up. As he is a double agent I presume McGoohan never gets to trial and is disappeared by the CIA.

IIRC Nielsen is in one of the others in the first series as the love interest of the murderer. I'd like to think that McGoohan's agent ends up in the mid 80s, embroiled with Olly North  in the Iran-Contra affair.

bgmnts

The problem is with a reboot, Peter Falk IS Columbo. I can't seperate them. It doesnt matter hoe good the impression is it will always just sound and look like someone doing a Columbo impression.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 19, 2019, 09:26:10 PM
IIRC Nielsen is in one of the others in the first series as the love interest of the murderer.

Lady In Waiting.  Nielsen's recall of the events is what does her in - he heard the shots before the intruder alarm went off.

pigamus

If they did a reboot with Columbo's schtick, that could work - but not just a straight Peter Falk impression. That would be death.

Natnar

I watched Forgotten Lady the other day and i liked how it played with the formula a little bit. All the way through you assume that Janet Leigh's character is doing the usual thing of trying to misdirect Columbo until at the end you find out that
Spoiler alert
because of a brain condition she can't actually remember doing the murder
[close]

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2019, 09:54:28 PM
The problem is with a reboot, Peter Falk IS Columbo. I can't seperate them. It doesnt matter hoe good the impression is it will always just sound and look like someone doing a Columbo impression.

peter falk is columbo in 'wings of desire', ffs. can't imagine him as anyone else, or anyone else as columbo. nah, forget it, ruffalo, save your lumbering mimicry for the wrap parties.

bgmnts

Season 2 has these grabs at the beginning, clips from the episode, to tease us I suppose. They feel unnecessary.

A Stitch in Crime today. Columbo outright pounds the table and tells Leonard Nimoy's smug, shit eating grain face that he is a murderer. Bit of spit and fire in this one. G'wan Columbo!

jonno

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2019, 02:07:36 PM
Season 2 has these grabs at the beginning, clips from the episode, to tease us I suppose. They feel unnecessary.

A Stitch in Crime today. Columbo outright pounds the table and tells Leonard Nimoy's smug, shit eating grain face that he is a murderer. Bit of spit and fire in this one. G'wan Columbo!

Doesn't happen often, the only other time I can recall him getting shirty with the killer is Robert Conrad's character in an Exercise in Fatality

https://vimeo.com/332829727

bgmnts

Aye you have to be a real cunt to rile him up.

Season 2 episode 7: A Most Dangerous Match.

Columbo smells garlic on the victims sleeve so assumes he was at a French restaurant.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jasha on July 19, 2019, 09:36:35 AM
He's a detective not a prosecutor

He's hated by every prosecutor in LA - "COLLUMMMBOOOO! why didn't you tell me you planted the matchstick? The judge has just thrown my case out!"

bgmnts

Season 2 Episode 8: Double Shock.

Oh fuck its Julie Newmar! Oh fuck she's in a leotard! Oh fuck she's doing stretches!

Oh god...

mothman

Clean-up in aisle two, please.

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2019, 07:11:01 PM
Oh fuck its Julie Newmar!

That's a thought, Columbo takes on Gotham City's criminals. Bet he would have got the wrong-uns who shot Bruce's parents.

bgmnts

Commisioner Columbo.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: jonno on July 22, 2019, 06:14:03 PM
Doesn't happen often, the only other time I can recall him getting shirty with the killer is Robert Conrad's character in an Exercise in Fatality

https://vimeo.com/332829727

Also in the very first one featuring Falk - he gets pissy and shouty with the accomplice.  Although that was before the character of Columbo had been properly formed to completion.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2019, 06:26:05 PM
Aye you have to be a real cunt to rile him up.

A bit like whenever Louis Theroux encounters an irredeemable cunt during one of his documentaries. Doesn't happen often, but I always enjoy it when Louis' genteel demeanour cracks to the point where he's clearly on the verge of telling a Nazi to go fuck themselves.

He owes a massive debt to Columbo, doesn't he? A seemingly bumbling interlocutor who lets people incriminate themselves after lulling them into a false sense of security.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 22, 2019, 08:37:29 PM
A bit like whenever Louis Theroux encounters an irredeemable cunt during one of his documentaries. Doesn't happen often, but I always enjoy it when Louis' genteel demeanour cracks to the point where he's clearly on the verge of telling a Nazi to go fuck themselves.

He owes a massive debt to Columbo, doesn't he? A seemingly bumbling interlocutor who lets people incriminate themselves after lulling them into a false sense of security.

there's the germ of an idea there. theroux as a hatchling columbo. can the lad act, do we know?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 22, 2019, 10:37:32 PM
there's the germ of an idea there. theroux as a hatchling columbo. can the lad act, do we know?

Fuck the acting, just send him and his crew in on someone the police reckon done a bad murder.

Johan Cruyff

Kolchak's just like, better, man.

Blumf

Quote from: Johan Cruyff on July 23, 2019, 12:33:59 AM

Don't make biggy choose!

a duncandisorderly

Kojak's just like, better, man.

ftfy. but no. he isn't.

biggytitbo

Kolchak the character and demise is a lot better than the actual episodes in most cases though, after the tv movies it's pure schlock. Columbo is a much better written show.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 23, 2019, 07:23:33 AM

Kolchak the character and demise is a lot better

I don't think we ever saw Columbo's gaff.

MojoJojo

It's seen in Mrs Columbo.

Shit Good Nose

True, although I don't think it counts.  Mainly cos Mrs Columbo is even worse than the later Columbos. 

beanheadmcginty

I've never seen Mrs. Columbo but it stars Captain Janeway doesn't it? Do they address the obvious fact that she's about half his age?