Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What don't you join Extinction Rebellion?

Started by garbed_attic, July 08, 2019, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

I'm harvesting opinion so that we get better at outreach...

Obviously I'm a guilty individual so being part of something bigger than myself than feels potentially worthwhile is one of the few things outside of sustenance that keeps me alive... like Alcoholics Anonymous members believing in God, I do have some vested interest.

But then, when it comes to climate change, we all do really... especially since none of us posting here are Jeff Bezos (or, at least, no more than one of us) and can afford some kind of tricked-out shelter.

So, I'll step back and not offer rebukes or judgement or anything like that. Just let me know why you haven't joined XR or gotten involved in other climate activism?

(Unless you have!)

Dex Sawash

Operty1

Because it only works if mankind completely changes every aspect of their lifestyle overnight, and that will never happen.

1 small example - asking people to give up their cars - i give up my car - now i can't work - my town doesn't support employment for everyone who lives there. Move somewhere that does? i'm a carer for my father who has dementia who lives nearby, so i can't move, my mother in law is also sick. My kids can't go to school because the local one is full and i have to drive them there. I can't just simply 'give up my car'. And if i did make this huge change it would only work if the other 7 billion people on the planet did the same.

I imagine the numbers that make up extinction rebellion are predominantly young, and aren't caught up in the multitude of horrific 'life' spider webs that later generations have grown up through.

You might as well be trying to make cats not lick themselves.

BlodwynPig

gouty, get it right, Climate Change has been going on since Day 1 of the Earth, this is Global Warming or Anthropogenic Climate Change

Danger Man

I believe that life is meaningless so I'm not that fussed if the planet dies out. There are loads of other planets out there.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Danger Man on July 08, 2019, 05:46:26 PM
I believe that life is meaningless so I'm not that fussed if the planet dies out. There are loads of other planets out there.

Non-sequitur from the man who has contributed more to the death of Planet Earth than any other poster on this forum.

bgmnts

Well at least he can't be hypocritical, that must be fucking freeing as fuck.

garbed_attic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 08, 2019, 05:44:03 PM
gouty, get it right, Climate Change has been going on since Day 1 of the Earth, this is Global Warming or Anthropogenic Climate Change

AGW are my initials though... so I've got to be careful encouraging people to campaign against Anthropogenic Global Warming!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gout_pony on July 08, 2019, 05:56:16 PM
AGW are my initials though... so I've got to be careful encouraging people to campaign against Anthropogenic Global Warming!

Global Warming is implied anthropogenic, its Climate Change you should use it with. ACC

bgmnts

Fuck me can you imagine though, having no care for all the bad things in life; human suffering, animal suffering, environmental destruction, the impending doom of the planet, the injustice of it all?

Just to live for yourself and only care about yourself.

Utter, utter bliss.

mothman

Biggy made a convincing case for XR being all middle class centrist cunts so... wait I'm a middle-class centrist cunt too!

Kelvin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 08, 2019, 05:51:19 PM
Non-sequitur from the man who has contributed more to the death of Planet Earth than any other poster on this forum.

I think you're forgetting that kittens crashed that oil tanker while trying to impress some kids last year.

metaltax

I have no kids so I'm basically not arsed. I know that makes me a terrible person but I'll be dead within 30-40 years, as will anyone who thinks I'm a terrible person so <shrug>.

Zetetic

Quote from: gout_pony on July 08, 2019, 04:50:31 PM
Just let me know why you haven't joined XR or gotten involved in other climate activism?

It feels like it's something that I'm completely powerless to affect, for various reasons including that it's tied up with the living standards of people who are currently far worse off than I am.

What little energy I do have for any kind of work, outside of my actual job (which I stick to in the vague hope it makes some people's lives better - as well as providing me with means to live my own life comfortably enough), is going on local, immediate-term issues with some hope of political traction and near-term redress.

Danger Man

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 08, 2019, 05:51:19 PM

No kids. Can't drive. I've done two of the most important things to help save this planet.

This is probably the worst forum on the internet to be boasting about a lack of sex life/inability to do basic things.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Danger Man on July 08, 2019, 06:33:20 PM
No kids. Can't drive. I've done two of the most important things to help save this planet.

This is probably the worst forum on the internet to be boasting about a lack of sex life/inability to do basic things.

Something I actually find warming to me. Let's meet for some gentle fireside discussions

Danger Man

Quote from: bgmnts on July 08, 2019, 06:05:08 PM
Utter, utter bliss.

It's nice not to care but there's always the sense of it all being so pointless. Having said that....

Alien Commander: Prepare to die, Earthlings.
Some young bloke who is the voice of all of us: You can destroy us, but there is one thing you will never destroy.
Alien Commander: What is that?
Young bloke: Love!!!
Alien Commander": AAGGHH!!!!!!!!!!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Danger Man on July 08, 2019, 06:36:46 PM
It's nice not to care but there's always the sense of it all being so pointless. Having said that....

Alien Commander: Prepare to die, Earthlings.
Some young bloke who is the voice of all of us: You can destroy us, but there is one thing you will never destroy.
Alien Commander: What is that?
Young bloke: Love!!!
Alien Commander": AAGGHH!!!!!!!!!!

Does this scenario involving gormless smiles and swaying to Beatles All You Need ? I, for one, welcome my new Alien Overlords

Pijlstaart

Don't want to be arrested, myself. I'm a good little boy.

chveik

there's no Extinction Rebellion where I live.

Twit 2

Twit 2

katzenjammer

A bit off topic but I'd like to make a monthly donation to a tree planting charity, anyone know which one is best?  There seem to be loads

I planted twenty trees when I lived in China. Tree Planting Day. Absolutely useless waste of time except for some fresh air vibes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: katzenjammer on July 08, 2019, 07:43:39 PM
A bit off topic but I'd like to make a monthly donation to a tree planting charity, anyone know which one is best?  There seem to be loads

Are there any tree planting groups in your area that you could volunteer for?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 08, 2019, 07:53:39 PM
I planted twenty trees when I lived in China. Tree Planting Day. Absolutely useless waste of time except for some fresh air vibes.

Atlas shrugged

imitationleather

Where I live there's a micro-climate where everything is fine.