Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People who don't understand Drop Dead Fred

Started by Twed, July 08, 2019, 05:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

You're supposed to find the nose-picking humour childish, you fucking idiots. That's the point. Fred's exact fucking purpose is to act in a way that adults find unacceptable.

Fucking dipshit.

St_Eddie

Yeah, no shit.  It's still a crass and irritating film though.  I don't care if it's being purposefully annoying, because that doesn't actually negate it being annoying.

Sebastian Cobb

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 08, 2019, 05:19:10 PM
Yeah, no shit.  It's still a crass and irritating film though.
And Das Boot would be better without all the fucking seafaring.

mothman

Ive never seen Drop Dead Fred (Rik Mayall imaginary friend movie). But you're saying Robocop (robotic police officer film) is better?

chveik

Replies From View

Twed

Yes, mainly dog poo and a dusty woman does not like the dog poo!

Chriddof

I wouldn't put much stock into The Nostalgia Critic's opinions. The man is an idiot of staggering proportions when it comes to actually criticising something instead of just shrieking at the top of his lungs. And in any case, his website Channel Awesome (the name alone! Jesus!) has been going through quite a bit of that there internet drama. (I actually like a bunch of people who were formerly associated with that site, for what it's worth.)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Chriddof on July 08, 2019, 08:40:53 PM
I wouldn't put much stock into The Nostalgia Critic's opinions. The man is an idiot of staggering proportions when it comes to actually criticising something instead of just shrieking at the top of his lungs. And in any case, his website Channel Awesome (the name alone! Jesus!) has been going through quite a bit of that there internet drama. (I actually like a bunch of people who were formerly associated with that site, for what it's worth.)

Aye, Doug Walker's opinions on films are usually horseshit but even a broken clock is right twice a day and in the case of Drop Dead Fred, he's right to call it out on being a bad movie because it is.  That doesn't mean that people can't enjoy it, of course.  There's plenty of bad movies which I also enjoy (whilst still acknowledging that they're not well made movies).  I enjoy watching House II: The Second Story, but I'm not going to tell people who don't enjoy it that they "don't understand it" because it's not a well made movie, so I can fully appreciate if other people don't enjoy it.  One's subjective enjoyment of a bad movie doesn't alter that fact that it's a bad movie.

Replies From View

Nothing excuses how vacuous and obnoxious his review is.

He can call a bad film a bad film but it doesn't mean he is right.  All the details of his understanding are wrong, and he seems to be aware of this on some level because he puts in a lot of shouting and he waves his arms like a cartoon character as if to distract from the vapid content.  Plus that irritating faux-annoyance schtick that he was the last person on the internet to ever do.

There is nothing "right on this occasion" about Doug Walker.

madhair60

There was a post sprung to mind about this from back when the Drop Dead Fred review was first posted so I dug it up and it turns out it's by Twed. God, get over it, Twed. More like Drop Dead Twed, eh CaBbers? Please do not drop dead.

Quote from: Twed on March 09, 2017, 12:34:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tefhCWeiOc God I forgot how bad this was. I really hate this prick, immediately sneering about the titles being written in crayon, as if that happened because everybody involved in the movie is childlike and stupid, and not as a stylistic choice. Sneery fucking dipshit.

"So she falls asleep in her own bed. It turns out Mommy builds her room with a flux capacitor, as she goes back in time and remembers when she was a child."

No, that's just regular remembering.

Mayall appears. Mayall acts in a childish and manic way, which is precisely his role. Fuckface's reaction: "Please tell me that's not the performance you're going with!".

What would your direction be? Please, tell me how he could have better inhabited the exact role he was given. I really want to know what you--a sneering victim of a witch's spell that replaced your head with a joint of gammon--would prefer here instead.

Then he makes this face as a reaction to Mayall wiping his bogey on a finger and then on Phoebe Cate's face as she remains unimpressed:

Honest-to-god, this fucking face as he completely misses the point about how Drop Dead Fred's sense of humour is childish and unfunny to adults and not meant to be taken at face value.

madhair60

Imagine actually being Doug Walker though, and knowing that everything you ever did that wasn't just lame snark about old movies (that had more love and attention and craft put into them than everything you've ever made combined) had been summarily rejected by the planet.

Shaky

Drop Dead Fred is OK but as vehicles for UK comedians go, it's certainly no True Identity.

Cuellar

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 09:28:36 AM
Imagine actually being Doug Walker though, and knowing that everything you ever did that wasn't just lame snark about old movies (that had more love and attention and craft put into them than everything you've ever made combined) had been summarily rejected by the planet.

Crumbs

QuoteThe list of grievances and poor practices became very long and included claims that the company once fired an employee for trying to take time off for a surgery and withheld her severance package until she signed a contract that she wouldn't work for another media company for 2-4 years, forcing two contributors to do a rape scene

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1358387-channel-awesome-implosion-changethechannel

madhair60

madhair60

I always laugh at this description of Linkara's "objectivist, panhandling" passive-aggressive call for donations, too

Quote from: lazarou on August 04, 2013, 10:19:34 PMContains possibly the least sympathetic use of "this is my day job, people" in quite a while.

Icehaven

I've never heard of this fucking internet prick but he's a fucking prick, DDF4LIFE.

Replies From View

He deserves nothing short of graving, along with "sigh, so this 50 year old burger tastes of rot" Stuart Ashens.

It annoys me that these people believe that they are entertaining due to twats.  They should instead feel sad inside.

Quote from: mothman on July 08, 2019, 07:42:15 PM
Ive never seen Drop Dead Fred (Rik Mayall imaginary friend movie). But you're saying Robocop (robotic police officer film) is better?

I'm just being snarky towards Twed, because he once dismissed Robocop as a film for people who grew up torturing animals... or something.

As for Drop Dead Fred... I'll admit that I loved it once, but the last time I watched it (about 11 years ago) I thought it was creepy and awkward and not in a funny or insightful way, either.  There's some toe-curlingly unfunny scenes in it, when Rik isn't on screen (Carrie Fisher "beating up" Fred, after he sinks her houseboat, the really embarrassing scene in the restaurant where Mickey Fartpants vindicates Phoebe Cates' destructive behavior by being an even bigger public menace himself, in a vain atempt of getting in her knickers... probably).

Shit Good Nose

How much money does this dude make from his reviews?

If lots, then he can cunt off.

If not much, I don't really care.

...oh, and insert summat about enjoying Drop Dead Fred when I was 12 here.

Mind you, I STILL giggle whenever I see stills of when he's all dressed up, with his whipped cream hair and cane.

Replies From View

Drop Dead Fred sits neatly alongside Terminator 2 in this official campaign with which there can surely be no arguing:  https://youtu.be/pA7gvhwC9RI

My life feels complete after watching that. 

Thank you.

mothman

I felt really bad for Robert Patrick having to deliver that speech.

Sebastian Cobb

Love how it's ostensibly an R-rated film but then there's a 'happy family' sequence in there where a 14 year old says 'come on dad I want to see Arnold!'.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 09:26:40 AM
There was a post sprung to mind about this from back when the Drop Dead Fred review was first posted so I dug it up and it turns out it's by Twed. God, get over it, Twed. More like Drop Dead Twed, eh CaBbers? Please do not drop dead.
Wow, did I invent "gammons"?

Twed

I don't even like Drop Dead Fred very much, I just really hate people who cannot understand it.

Icehaven

Obligatory ''Thank god the Drop Dead Fred remake starring Russell Brand never got made'' comment. The only thing Rik Mayall did that Brand should emulate is