Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People who don't understand Drop Dead Fred

Started by Twed, July 08, 2019, 05:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Not that I thought that it wouldn't be shit, but I've always had it in mind for a viewing, just because it's Rik in a big Hollywood movie (and alongside Phoebe Cates, too).

New Page Drop Dead Glebe YOU TWAT.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on July 09, 2019, 07:11:49 PM
I don't even like Drop Dead Fred very much, I just really hate people who cannot understand it.

To be fair, you didn't get the purpose of an Anthony Jeselnik joke the other day, so it happens.

Anyway, it's a bad film in that it effectively killed any chance of Rik Mayall becoming a Hollywood movie star, which I reckon he was perfectly capable of. So yeah bin it.

Glebe

He also blew his chance with Harry Potter, but he obviously couldnae give two fucks about that.

Twed

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 10, 2019, 04:14:18 PM
To be fair, you didn't get the purpose of an Anthony Jeselnik joke the other day, so it happens.
Holy shit you are you still going on about me not liking Jeselnik's bad joke

This is CaB, the entire point is calling things crap.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on July 10, 2019, 06:41:33 PM

Apparently not Drop Dead Fred though...

Twed

Hundhoon

'you said she was mousey'
i thought had they done a few things differently then this would have been a masterpiece  its incoherent, but parts of this was one of the funniest films ive ever seen...Pheobe Cates playing peekaboo randomly over dinner and  pouring water over herself, beating up a violinist telling her mother to piss off.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on July 10, 2019, 09:41:33 PM
All men are rapers.

Aw, bless.  The little man thinks that he can trigger me.  How cute.  He'll be standing on two feet soon enough.  How fast they grow.

Icehaven

Quote from: Hundhoon on July 10, 2019, 09:57:57 PM
'you said she was mousey'
i thought had they done a few things differently then this would have been a masterpiece  its incoherent, but parts of this was one of the funniest films ive ever seen...Pheobe Cates playing peekaboo randomly over dinner and  pouring water over herself, beating up a violinist telling her mother to piss off.

If you read it as Fred being totally a figment of her mind, the imaginary friend she invented in childhood to help her through her dysfunctional family reinvoked to help her cope with the stress of her marriage ending, a lot of what goes on is less wacky nonsense and more sad nervous breakdown.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on July 10, 2019, 06:41:33 PM
Holy shit you are you still going on about me not liking Jeselnik's bad joke

No, I mean not getting it, as was the point of this thread.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Twed on July 10, 2019, 09:41:33 PM
All men are rapers.

And what makes them so is having beauty like what I have got.

a duncandisorderly

Twed

a duncandisorderly

Twed

They do? That can make dental visits unpleasant.

a duncandisorderly

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 09:26:40 AM
There was a post sprung to mind about this from back when the Drop Dead Fred review was first posted so I dug it up and it turns out it's by Twed.

Excuse me but I think I was the first to claim this land.

Quote from: popcorn on June 16, 2014, 10:55:34 PM
It is a widely misunderstood film. Here's the (insufferable, inexplicably popular) Nostalgia Critic's take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT_FCFkm7sM He mainly focuses on how annoying Rik Mayall is, calling him "the anus of comedic laughter". (Surely laughter isn't typically comedic in itself but rather a response to comedy? Never mind.)

To me the Nostragia Critic exemplifies the impossibility of America ever really having understood Rik Mayall. I think they just found him horrific. One of my best friends is American, lived in the UK for years, is a huge comedy nerd, knows his Partridge etc, saw The Young Ones for the first time and just sat in stunned uncomprehending silence, apparently.

popcorn

Quote from: icehaven on July 10, 2019, 10:57:32 PM
If you read it as Fred being totally a figment of her mind, the imaginary friend she invented in childhood to help her through her dysfunctional family reinvoked to help her cope with the stress of her marriage ending, a lot of what goes on is less wacky nonsense and more sad nervous breakdown.

Absolutely. It's very dark (and I don't just mean in the usual crap "oh this kids' film is very dark) sort of way. It's an odd film but good, I think.

sevendaughters

always think it is telling that DDF is directed by a European, much more of an anal stage poo humour as Freudian hellscape metaphor tendency there. I think it is an ambitious and sporadically good film, but possibly coloured by nostalgia and thinking that Rik Mayall was the funniest man on earth at age 10 (still don't hugely disagree at 36).

Cuellar

sevendaughters

lasted 2 min with the Nostalgia Critic, absolute nerve of that cunt for talking about irritating humour

Replies From View

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 25, 2019, 03:47:36 PM
lasted 2 min with the Nostalgia Critic, absolute nerve of that cunt for talking about irritating humour

Quite.  No shred of self-awareness, obviously.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: goinggoinggone on July 09, 2019, 10:53:47 PM
https://youmustdrinkourtea.tumblr.com/post/111617135540/rik-mayall-interviewed-by-david-letterman

Depressing to watch... Rik's Hollywood career was a lost cause.

That's horrible. I like David Letterman, but he's such an obnoxious prick there. His whole attitude is one of weary condescension, as if interviewing this unknown British comedian is entirely beneath him. Poor Rik.

Also, without wishing to sound like one of those dreary "Americans just don't get our crazy British humour" nuisances, I think Letterman and his audience are genuinely perturbed by Rik saying 'shit' and almost saying 'cunt'. That's the sort of thing he could've probably got away with on the hip, anarchic Late Night with David Letterman show, but not on the more conservative CBS iteration.

Twed

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 25, 2019, 07:17:48 PM
That's horrible. I like David Letterman, but he's such an obnoxious prick there. His whole attitude is one of weary condescension, as if interviewing this unknown British comedian is entirely beneath him. Poor Rik.
This is the main reason why I hate Letterman. He's a massive prick as soon as anything happens outside of the bounds of being a prepared promotional appearance.

Have you watched early Letterman? '80s Letterman? His entire shtick was sending up sycophantic showbiz conventions. And then he became the very thing he initially parodied.

That Rik interview is indicative of the point where he stopped caring.

Twed

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 25, 2019, 09:52:51 PM
Have you watched early Letterman? '80s Letterman? His entire shtick was sending up sycophantic showbiz conventions. And then he became the very thing he initially parodied.

That Rik interview is indicative of the point where he stopped caring.
Ah, I see. No, I definitely haven't seen him when he was apparently any good. He's very bad in most of the "classic moments" clips I've seen, which are things like Andy Kaufman and Crispin Glover appearances.

If I was in his position I would relish the chaos.

MuteBanana

Rik Mayall proved in this film that he was the actor to lead a Doctor Who renewal. The role he was born to play and nobody thought of it.

Quote from: Twed on July 25, 2019, 10:15:57 PM
Ah, I see. No, I definitely haven't seen him when he was apparently any good. He's very bad in most of the "classic moments" clips I've seen, which are things like Andy Kaufman and Crispin Glover appearances.

If I was in his position I would relish the chaos.

Well he's playing along in the Kaufman bits, they were all prearranged to a certain extent. Dave understood that he was required to play the baffled straight man. He adored Kaufman, hence why he had him on the show so frequently.

Glover was attempting to emulate Kaufman - and where better to do that than on the David Letterman show? - but almost kicking our man in the head was a, hoho, step too far.

There are hours and hours of Letterman at his chaos-embracing best on YouTube.

I mean, he gets the joke here, he's revelling in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0sr2BejUk&t=26s