Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tell me about Pram

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 08, 2019, 07:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

A friend wants me to go and see these with him next month and, bizarrely, I don't think I've heard anything by them. I say bizarrely as they seem like the kind of band I should at least know stuff about - they're on Domino, often lumped in with bands I love (Plone, Broadcast), I even used to be quite friendly with one of them (Matt) when I used to go and see The Sea Urchins - but I know fuck all about them. Any recommendations regarding faves and worsties? Isn't one of them a right wing dickshit now?

rasta-spouse

I'd totally forgotten about these guys, but Sargasso Sea was something I liked in the 90s. Good to hear they're still going.

sevendaughters

Yes one of them is a terrible person now and I won't go into it. I really like The Stars Are So Big, The Earth Is So Small... Stay as You Are, which has a hushed and spectral quality that very few records could pull off.

Neil Kulkarni's write-up is very good, as was everything else in this series: https://thequietus.com/articles/07618-part-four-the-best-album-of-the-nineties

alan nagsworth

From what little I know (the album Dark Island) they're very good and share some striking similarities to Broadcast.

Head Gardener

they are brilliant, their last album was one of their best and they are on tour soon, all good

Inspector Norse

What I've heard definitely has some of the Domino trademarks - tweeness, ramshackle approach - but it all felt a bit tuneless and irritating compared to similar, better bands. Trying a bit too hard to be arty. But it pushes some people's buttons, so maybe one of those things you should try for yourself?

hummingofevil

I remember liking the idea more than the delivery and the vocals too often drifting past the lushness of Trish and into actually-annoying territory. Worth a go though. Never not liked a band for trying too hard to be not dull.

sevendaughters

I think their trajectory drifts toward annoying but they start out as a singular force.

Phil_A

The Bad One left the band and now writes incredibly poisonous think-pieces for Spiked. Her vocals were often the weak link in the band so it's not such a great loss.

sevendaughters

I think their weak voices were part of the charm early on. Wouldn't want 'In Dreams You Too Can Fly' sung by anyone else.

But yes it is a bit mad how Rosie became head of a salon for 'free thinkers' (the events seem reasonably broad minded) but only writes from that voice that Spiked have made their own, the intellectual wing of Gammonry.

Shaky

Quote from: Phil_A on July 08, 2019, 09:11:17 PM
The Bad One left the band and now writes incredibly poisonous think-pieces for Spiked. Her vocals were often the weak link in the band so it's not such a great loss.

The aptly named Rosie "Cuck"ston.

jobotic

I didn't know that, what a shame. From Sleepy Sweet to Spiked. Ugh.

lazyhour

The latest album is definitely one of their best. Start there, and go and see them!