Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:44:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can you tell who it is yet?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, July 08, 2019, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

I always get irked when Mrs TTT pipes up with "hasn't he/she got old" whenever a face who we haven't seen on TV for a while pops up, However I was perusing the guests for upcoming RHLSTP when I was greeted by

With humble apologies if it turns out he hasn't been well of late.

DrGreggles

He had his own thread recently.

EDIT: As has just been pointed out

Chollis

Think there's a thread on here about him actually

Tony Tony Tony

Tony Tony Tony

Zetetic

Captain Z

Yep, Charlie Higson's really starting to look his age.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 08, 2019, 09:24:06 PM
I always get irked when Mrs TTT pipes up with "hasn't he/she got old" whenever a face who we haven't seen on TV for a while pops up, However I was perusing the guests for upcoming RHLSTP when I was greeted by

Ironically you've chosen a decent photo of him where he's completely recognisable and looks in good nick for someone who's 60 this year, even before you consider what he's been through.

Here's a silly sight gag that might redeem the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNreArbyzIY#t=64s

Norton Canes

Yeah he looks fine there for 60.

Brundle-Fly

What'd be more unsettling would be if Tony Slattery still looked the same as he did from 1988.

imitationleather

Yeah it's not how he looks that is concerning, because as others have said that is fine for sixty. It's that when he speaks these days he sounds barely coherent.

Icehaven

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 09, 2019, 09:52:55 AM
What'd be more unsettling would be if Tony Slattery still looked the same as he did from 1988.

I think it was the comparison with some of his contemporaries that was most jarring at first, which is unfair considering a far higher percentage of the famous go to great lengths to maintain their looks than the general public, so it's easy to cherry pick and compare him with some of his peers. Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson for example haven't got 30 years of mental health issues behind them and have film careers spurring them on to stay well preserved.
Also the fact that he was ridiculously handsome meant he always had further to fall, so to speak.

imitationleather

I dread to think what I'll look like after another thirty years of staring at this forum.

Jockice

Captain Z

Quote from: Thosworth on July 09, 2019, 01:31:34 PM
Iain Lee interviewed him. Fairly rambling and occasionally incoherent. Very sad.

And how was Tony Slattery?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on July 09, 2019, 10:58:33 AM
I think it was the comparison with some of his contemporaries that was most jarring at first, which is unfair considering a far higher percentage of the famous go to great lengths to maintain their looks than the general public, so it's easy to cherry pick and compare him with some of his peers. Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson for example haven't got 30 years of mental health issues behind them and have film careers spurring them on to stay well preserved.
Also the fact that he was ridiculously handsome meant he always had further to fall, so to speak.

I think some people look their best when they're young (Slattery) while other men seem to age like wine and only really become alluring to women as they get older (Laurie). Comparing these two archetypes would be particularly unfair.

Quote from: Thosworth on July 09, 2019, 01:31:34 PM
Iain Lee interviewed him. Fairly rambling and occasionally incoherent. Very sad.

(interview starts at 6 mins in):

https://player.fm/series/the-late-night-alternative-with-iain-lee/the-late-night-alternative-with-iain-lee-bonus-podcast-tony-slattery-features-frank-discussion-of-mental-illness-and-addiction
Its like two Slatterys battleing for dominance, there are bits when he sounds very much as we remember him and then times somebody else. Even the pitch of his voice changes between them.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He'll have good days and bad days. He sounded okay when he appeared on This Morning recently, despite being understandably nervous.

I just worry about these upcoming Edinburgh shows. Everyone wants Tony to succeed, he's a lovely, talented man, but the person in that Iain Lee interview doesn't sound capable of delivering a good show. I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Twed

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on July 09, 2019, 01:49:04 PM
Its like two Slatterys battleing for dominance, there are bits when he sounds very much as we remember him and then times somebody else. Even the pitch of his voice changes between them.
Oh dear, what can the matter be? etc. etc.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 08, 2019, 09:24:06 PM

Are Birds Eye Fish Fingers still a thing?  If so, he'd walk the next Cap'n Birds Eye audition.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 09, 2019, 07:17:52 PM
He'll have good days and bad days. He sounded okay when he appeared on This Morning recently, despite being understandably nervous.

I just worry about these upcoming Edinburgh shows. Everyone wants Tony to succeed, he's a lovely, talented man, but the person in that Iain Lee interview doesn't sound capable of delivering a good show. I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

I know 2 people who saw him in Edinburgh last year.
One said he was hilarious and sharp, the other (a day later) thought he was having a breakdown on stage.
Good days and bad days indeed.

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 09, 2019, 07:34:58 PM
I know 2 people who saw him in Edinburgh last year.
One said he was hilarious and sharp, the other (a day later) thought he was having a breakdown on stage.
Good days and bad days indeed.

Maybe he's trying to appropriate Stewart Lee's shtick.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That interview is incredibly sad, especially when he asks Lee, with genuine wonderment, how he managed to kick drugs and booze.

I want Tony Slattery to get well and be happy.

If he had no beard and died his hair, he wouldn't look that different from before.

Icehaven

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 11, 2019, 07:07:15 AM
If he had no beard and died his hair, he wouldn't look that different from before.

That picture doesn't show it but he's put on a lot of weight too.

Maurice Yeatman