Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Flowered Up

Started by Cuntbeaks, July 09, 2019, 12:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

Stumbled across this excellent insight into the band as written by some of the surviving members. Great band, fantastic live energy and much missed.

Saw them once at The Tunnel in Glasgow and headed back to their hotel, sat in the bar and bought a Dennis the Menace eccie from Liam who had a bag of about 500. Tickled to read a section about the Glasgow gig in the article.

https://louderthanwar.com/flowered-weekenders-tale/

DrGreggles

Other than the rotten singer, I thought they were great.
Weekender is an early 90s classic (used to end with it at a few of my indie DJ sets) and It's On has plenty about it too.

Fry

First heard them a couple of years ago, my girlfriend and I were pootling around the house cleaning and cooking when 'Weekender' came on the radio (the 10 minute version). We had no idea who they were, or what the song was, and assumed the band were called 'Weekender'. Really tickled us that the band were singing their own name over and over again in a weird way like that, seemed like a silly thing to do. I added it on my spotify and now just listen to that song quite a lot 'cause it grew on me. Anyway that's all I know about them.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Fry on July 09, 2019, 12:28:27 AM
First heard them a couple of years ago, my girlfriend and I were pootling around the house cleaning and cooking when 'Weekender' came on the radio (the 10 minute version). We had no idea who they were, or what the song was, and assumed the band were called 'Weekender'. Really tickled us that the band were singing their own name over and over again in a weird way like that, seemed like a silly thing to do. I added it on my spotify and now just listen to that song quite a lot 'cause it grew on me. Anyway that's all I know about them.

Used to love the accompanying video/short film, though I haven't seen it in years.

Icehaven

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on July 09, 2019, 09:09:19 AM
Used to love the accompanying video/short film, though I haven't seen it in years.

A fellow Cabber (may actually have been Weekender) was giving the video cassette of it away a few years ago and I snapped it up, still have it despite no longer having a VCR. It was a staple at my local indie discos in the mid-late 90s, and I revisited them a bit 10 years ago when I heard Liam Maher had died. It's On is another good one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGPTVRGqfeo

Edit; Bloody hell, just read their Wikipedia entry and it turns out his brother died too a few years after him.

steveh

The unreleased post-Flowered Up album under the Greedy Soul name is surprisingly good: https://soundcloud.com/greedy-soul/sets/readysteadycook.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: icehaven on July 09, 2019, 11:14:59 AM
A fellow Cabber (may actually have been Weekender) was giving the video cassette of it away a few years ago and I snapped it up, still have it despite no longer having a VCR. It was a staple at my local indie discos in the mid-late 90s, and I revisited them a bit 10 years ago when I heard Liam Maher had died. It's On is another good one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGPTVRGqfeo

Edit; Bloody hell, just read their Wikipedia entry and it turns out his brother died too a few years after him.

I never actually got round to listening to much else but I will do now.

maett

Saw them live at the Old Trout in Windsor and bought It's On.  Weren't they touted as London's answer to the Happy Mondays? Anyway as a big Monday's fan at the time I was a bit disappointed with them. Didn't stop me recording some half hour live thing they did on Radio one (?) I'd listen to on the factory floor. It really annoyed one bloke who'd keep coming over and turning it down, Liam's voice was an acquired taste.  When the album came out the cover was so shit I didn't bother with it and pretty much forgot about them. Then saw Weekender on telly late one night a couple of years later and was blown away. Immediately went out and bought the video, it's up in the loft somewhere.
Still a terrible album cover