Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Perfection

Started by Rev+, July 09, 2019, 01:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

Not sure if there's been a thread for this, or if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but wanted to flag it up.

Netflix jobber.  A gifted cellist forced to quit a music academy in order to care for her sick mother reconnects with the academy after the mother dies.

That's about all I'll say if you've not seen it - there is some mild body horror and the story does go to very dark places, but it's one of those films that's best seen knowing as little as possible about it.

Sort of a horror flick.  Quite good.

Icehaven

I dunno, it looked nice, but overall the combination of taking itself seriously while simultaneously being quite silly didn't quite work for me. Also it has one of those plots too heavily reliant on protagonists doing apparently ridiculous/extreme/terrible things that initially make them seem mad or awful, but which turn out to prompt a chain of unlikely events that they predicted with impossibly clairvoyant accuracy, and that puts them in a totally different light (one for the film clichés thread there too.) The clumsy flashback exposition didn't help either, just putting a few key scenes out of order isn't the most artful method of wrongfooting your audience.
The basic premise was alright though, and as I said it's visually lovely, if they'd just not cut corners with how the plot played out it would have been much more compelling.

(One other observation (SLIGHT SPOILER AHEAD); It did amuse me how the Netflix trailer makes the bugs under skin scene look more central to the premise than it really is. Almost makes it look like it's potentially going to be a straightforward monster/alien/plague type film when it really isn't.

Rev+

I hadn't seen the trailer, but the sudden changes of direction are what made it work for me.  'Oh, so it's that kind of film...  no, wait, it's that kind of deal...  no, alright' etc.  It definitely is silly, and the first twenty minutes do seem to be setting up something a lot more straight-faced and weighty, but something about its approach to telling what is ultimately a pretty straightforward story clicked.