Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:14:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Radio Active - Minorities Special

Started by mippy, July 09, 2019, 12:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriddof

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 15, 2019, 01:40:35 AM
Yeah it was a nasty sneering show, but at least that's because they were the perspectives of fictional and deliberately awful radio presenters.

Maybe... although if sheddyian's recollection of that Anna Daptor sketch is accurate, that would point to something a lot harder to explain than people just doing characters.

sheddyian

It's a long time since I heard the sketch, but from memory :

Anna Daptor is presenting from a carnival.  A steel band comes along, and a boisterous (Jamaican?) guy (played by Phil Pope) makes noises and Anna moves away to avoid the band, down a side street.

She reports from there, then the steel band reappears and the Phil Pope character makes noises again and she shreiks runs off again.

She's now reporting from a quiet museum or art gallery, the steel band once more appear, more noises from Pope and more shrieks from Daptor.

During the dialogue, Anna comments "if I can just pull my dress back down" , and at one point during an encounter with the steel band she's running from, FX of ripping clothing is heard.

All from memory, but it was unsettling.  I can't remember how the audience reacted to it.

gilbertharding

Does anyone else remember a (possibly Radio Active-related) History of Rock with loads of (presumably) Philip Pope pastiches of canonical songs... it was in two or three parts and the conceit was the first song of the whole thing was some old country blues thing (complete with 'archive' of 50s highbrows dismissing it as rubbish), and the last song was a hip hop rapping thing with exactly the same lyrics (and the same 80s highbrows dismissing it as rubbish)?

I thought it was quite a good debunking of all the Grand History of Pop myth-making which really picked up steam around the 20th anniversary of Sgt Pepper.

If you do remember it, what's it called, and is it on youtube?