Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:04:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious Things You've Only Just Realised: MUSIC EDITION

Started by lazyhour, July 09, 2019, 03:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: pigamus on July 25, 2019, 08:16:40 AM
Where exactly is Club Tropicana? I always assumed it was Ibiza or wherever, but then he says all that's missing is the sea. So is it in Essex or somewhere?
George contradicts himself on the land-locked nature of the establishment in the second verse:
Quote from: George Michael
Castaways and Lovers meet
Then kiss in Tropicana's heat
Watch the waves break on the bay
Soft white sands, a blue lagoon

Cocktail time, a summer's tune
A whole night's holiday!

studpuppet

Quote from: pigamus on July 25, 2019, 08:16:40 AM
Where exactly is Club Tropicana? I always assumed it was Ibiza or wherever, but then he says all that's missing is the sea. So is it in Essex or somewhere?

I'd always assumed it was Baileys/Paradise Lost/Kudos/Destiny/Oceana/Pryzm.

buzby

Quote from: studpuppet on July 25, 2019, 11:33:11 AM
I'd always assumed it was Baileys/Paradise Lost/Kudos/Destiny/Oceana/Pryzm.

Baileys was apparently a 'chicken in a basket' dinner/dance and live music venue at the time the song was written (it had previously been a Top Rank Suite). It closed in 1986 and was converted into the Paradise Lost nightclub.

studpuppet

Quote from: buzby on July 25, 2019, 11:50:13 AM
Baileys was apparently a 'chicken in a basket' dinner/dance and live music venue at the time the song was written (it had previously been a Top Rank Suite). It closed in 1986 and was converted into the Paradise Lost nightclub.

It was a live venue, but they were already doing disco/dance nights by the early eighties - the Paradise Lost revamp involved removing the stage and slapping shiny black, neon and chrome everywhere. I seem to recall that even on the 'live' nights, they'd have a DJ after the performers had finished (my parents used to go there and come home early when the disco started).

the

Quote from: pigamus on July 25, 2019, 08:16:40 AMWhere exactly is Club Tropicana? I always assumed it was Ibiza or wherever, but then he says all that's missing is the sea. So is it in Essex or somewhere?

Maybe it's "All that's missing is the C", on the sign outside:

•  C L U B   T R O P I    A N A  •

Artie Fufkin

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on July 25, 2019, 09:24:14 AM
Paul McCartney wrote songs called "Yesterday", "Tomorrow" and "Here Today"

And "Here, There and Everywhere".

He covered all of time and space; amazing isn't it.

Icehaven

Quote from: SteveDave on July 25, 2019, 09:24:14 AM
Paul McCartney wrote songs called "Yesterday", "Tomorrow" and "Here Today"

Who's Paul McCartney?

famethrowa

"The Young Ones" (song) is a total harmonic & rhythmic ripoff of "Dream Lover". Never knew that before

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 26, 2019, 01:07:34 PM
Club Tropicana was Pikes Hotel in Ibiza.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Hotel
It was the location for the video shoot, but the song was written over a year before Simon Napier-Bell discovered it on a location scouting trip for the video in 1983 (it was one of the songs on their original 4-track demo tape, recorded in early 1982). That was not long after Pike's Hotel had opened - the hotel's reputation for celebrity hedonism developed in the years after the video was filmed there. Apparently after the shoot Andrew Ridgeley did a runner without paying his bill.

Twed

kidsick5000

kidsick5000

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2019, 02:36:11 PM
And "Here, There and Everywhere".

He covered all of time and space; amazing isn't it.

And with Got To Get You Into My Life, he covered the stalker demographic too

Both The Monkees and Gorillaz were dogged by accusations of not being a "real band".

Norton Canes

Not an obvious thing, but I only just found out that Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann was a cover of a Springsteen song. Thanks for the info Chart Music.

phantom_power

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 28, 2019, 04:49:34 PM
Both The Monkees and Gorillaz were dogged by accusations of not being a "real band".

I always assumed the latter's name was referencing the former

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: phantom_power on July 29, 2019, 10:42:17 AM
I always assumed the latter's name was referencing the former
Hadn't even occurred to me, that. But now you say it....

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 28, 2019, 04:49:34 PM

I remember a very old CaB post where someone said they'd ripped a Gorillaz CD and used some sort of database to tag the files, and they were bemused to discover all the files being tagged with the band name "Munkyz".  (Presumably if the site didn't have an album in its database you could add it yourself, with your own tags.)

pupshaw

Quote from: studpuppet on July 25, 2019, 01:13:49 PM
It was a live venue, but they were already doing disco/dance nights by the early eighties - the Paradise Lost revamp involved removing the stage and slapping shiny black, neon and chrome everywhere. I seem to recall that even on the 'live' nights, they'd have a DJ after the performers had finished (my parents used to go there and come home early when the disco started).

I saw Chuck Berry at Baileys in 1984 (just looked it up). He was on a low stage and when some "enthusiast" jumped up on stage and bowed down to Chuck, he just dropped his arms to his side and stood there and stared the guy out until he retreated rather lacking in glory. He was good enough to finish the song he had started once he reached the scheduled end of his set (he really did look at his watch). After the show, I had a half-hearted tussle over a bar-towel which the legend had wiped his neck. I won. I'm not sure the other chap was too upset.

Chicken in a basket was indeed served.

The Channel 4 news theme is a Bruton Music piece called 'Best Endeavours' by Alan Hawkshaw.

non capisco

Quote from: Drop Dead Fred on July 29, 2019, 06:35:39 PM
The Channel 4 news theme is a Bruton Music piece called 'Best Endeavours' by Alan Hawkshaw.

TV Cream mailout this week?

Dusty Substance

Found out just a couple of hours ago that I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow is a cover of song by Nuggets band The Strangeloves.

Quote from: Drop Dead Fred on July 29, 2019, 06:35:39 PM

Still feels weird hearing it on that trailer for Clint Eastwood's 'Pale Rider'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGzz3hh1jHc

famethrowa

2 Rolling Stones ones I found out last night, that the whole world probably knew already:

- The 90's baggy tune "I'm Free" is a Stones cover

- The start of "How Soon Is Now" is nicked straight from the Stones' "Mona". Same key and everything

Rizla

Quote from: famethrowa on July 30, 2019, 12:23:06 AM
2 Rolling Stones ones I found out last night, that the whole world probably knew already:

- The 90's baggy tune "I'm Free" is a Stones cover

- The start of "How Soon Is Now" is nicked straight from the Stones' "Mona". Same key and everything
Aha but Stones nicked Mona of of this guy though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yLA6OWMeeo