Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Real life people with comedy names.

Started by hummingofevil, July 10, 2019, 02:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Bolton Wanderers had a player Isiah Rankin. Obviously the surname is a Jonathon Ross impersonator's delight but my accent tends to pronounce the first name as "I saw ya" too.

Panbaams

Used to be a bloke in the next office called Roger Moore, as unlike the "real" Roger Moore as you can imagine. Also had a meeting a while back with the Bond girl-named Ivana Lickova.

No idea if they got together for a mission, workshop, training, etc.

Lordofthefiles

Knew a bloke called Roger Abbott once. Humourless.

Hamal Shukup, although that might've been a stage name, he was an Indian Elvis impersonator.

There was a security guard that worked at my place called Síd Jélly (accents added to prevent googling).  Sound bloke.  Our managing director sent out a mail in Comic Sans expressing his condolences, and the receptionist sent out a mail saying "Our thoughts are with his family (you may want to put something in about starting a book of condolence or collecting cards to pass on)."  Receptionist clearly wasn't thinking straight, but there's no need for that choice of font from the big boss.

lazyhour

The American singer Randy Vanwarmer is a goodun.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/277887-Randy-Vanwarmer

There's also a Republican politician called Randy Bumgardner.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Inspector Norse on July 10, 2019, 05:42:19 PM
About the only thing I remember from my work experience in an accounting office is doing some copy-pasting and spotting a client named Fook Yao.

A Malaysian chap handed me a business card bearing his name, Koo Yoo Fook, which he advised me was pronounced Ken Woo. Still puzzled about that thirty years later.

Dusty Substance

There's this guy, Crackers Patel from the RAC, who used to pop up on the BBC to offer driving safety advice: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-11859580/rac-snow-advice-to-drivers-on-staying-safe

I used to spend a shocking amount of time at an old job browsing the client database looking for funny names. Blanche Lard and Giuseppe Cunto were the two that stood out the most.

zomgmouse

Yussef Dent

The weird and wonderful names of Zimbabwean heavyweight boxers in the mid-80s.

Proud Kilimanjaro
Walter Ringo Starr
Jukebox Timebomb (my favourite but lost to Kilimanjaro for their domestic strap in 1985.)
Hitler the Killer (yeah you've overdone it a bit there, pal.)

Some failed miserably trying to match these, with one fighter just known as... John Fighter, plus two others called Joe Frazier and George Foreman, who may or may not have fought for the "No, Not That One" title.

PlanktonSideburns

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: lazyhour on July 12, 2019, 08:14:38 PM

There are lots of Randy Bumgarners.

There was also a baseball player called Randy Wolf.

Randy doesn't mean the same in the US, right?

zomgmouse

Utter Shit

Slight tangent but I had a regen player come through on my Football Manager game the other day called Ross Voice. Seemed like a perfect Armando Iannucci name.

purlieu

Went to school with a Maycock and a Grewcock. Our headteacher was called John Thomas.
The best first name I came across in my one office job: Prikshitdeep.

Jockice

Quote from: purlieu on August 23, 2019, 01:23:26 PM
Went to school with a Maycock and a Grewcock. Our headteacher was called John Thomas.
The best first name I came across in my one office job: Prikshitdeep.

I went to school with a Maycock too (he was in the same first year class as me along with a Titman and a Hyman) and my best mate at that school's next door neighbours were called Grewcock. I've discussed my aversion to the name John Thomas on these pages before and I'm not doing it again.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 21, 2019, 05:34:35 PM
John fighter is great

Reminiscent of a shitty, derivative SNES fighting game from the likes of Banpresto.

zomgmouse

Twed

Todd Merchant

I made it up, but imagine the nonsense potter using it as an insult

I bet Todd Merchant exists somewhere

Gurke and Hare

kalowski

There were two lads in the same class at my school, both called Josh. Their surnames?

Allcock and Balls.

kalowski

And I've just remembered my mate worked in a school where the headteacher was called BJ Purvis. I assume the kids called him Blow Job Pervert.

Funnily enough.

I knew of a Christian Crisp at school, which is at least slightly amusing.

Utter Shit

There was a girl in my school called Isobel Holder. The only example I've ever known of a name which makes someone else look silly, namely the boy before her in the register. "Stuart Hackney...Isobel Holder". Twice a day during form registers he would hear the same sniggering.

Panbaams

Quote from: purlieu on August 23, 2019, 01:23:26 PM

I went to school with people called Growcock, Allcock and Hiscock. I wished at the time that they'd all intermarried so that eventually their surname would be Growallhiscock.

Gulftastic

My sister went out with bloke who's family were of Mauritian descent. He had a cousin called Lillette.

Crabwalk

Best name in my year at school was probably Donna Death.

Quote from: lazyhour on July 12, 2019, 08:14:38 PM

I once did some work with a Rusty Bumgardner. Very nice guy, which probably reduced bullying levels as a child by 10%.

I was at an event recently where this guy was being interviewed by Clàre Balding: https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/person/2012845

A missed opportunity not to title the event 'Balding/Fani', IMO.

monkfromhavana

I have met an American (who else) called Hunter Cashdollar.

Jockice

Panbaams

Not a real life person with a comedy name, but a real life car with a comedy "name", on the estate I live on, has the registration plate hate FAP. Possibly because GU1LT W4NK was already taken.