Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Torn, RIP

Started by mothman, July 10, 2019, 06:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/jul/10/rip-torn-cult-actor-dies-aged-88

Or, Z dead. Fantastic actor. Was great as Artie in TLSS. And could any other actor have delivered a line like "Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No! But I do it anyway, cause it's sterile and I like the taste."?

Noodle Lizard

Just yesterday I threw on a random episode of 30 Rock for me to eat pork chops to, and it turned out to be the one where Don Geiss (played by Torn) dies, which got me thinking about whether or not the real Rip Torn was dead.  Googled, confirmed: "Nope, not dead".  And now look.  Did I somehow remind the universe that it was about time?

Anyway, I liked him a fair bit.  Apparently a bit of a nutjob, but quite a career, and admirably willing to take some pretty unflattering roles in his later career.  To think he'd been acting since the 50s!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

His performance as Artie in The Larry Sanders Show is one of the greatest in sitcom history.

He also once attacked Norman Mailer with a hammer and broke into a bank, pissed, thinking it was his house. Not in the same day, I hasten to add.

mothman

Worse, he's featured in what's likely a common piece of wanking material given the scene in TMWFtE where he shags a string of interchangeable nubile college students!

Sin Agog

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 10, 2019, 06:39:57 AM
'course I love him as one third of the greatest triumvirate of comedy characters on TV, but Coming Apart (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064180/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_143) is some genuinely fucking mind-bending shit.  These id monster type of men must be nightmares to live with, but I'm glad I get to admire them from afar.

momatt

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 10, 2019, 06:57:22 AM
His performance as Artie in The Larry Sanders Show is one of the greatest in sitcom history.

He also once attacked Norman Mailer with a hammer and broke into a bank, pissed, thinking it was his house. Not in the same day, I hasten to add.

Well, you've just literally mentioned every single thing that I wanted to say about the man, so I won't bother repeating you and instead I'll simply say R.I.P., Rip Torn.

Excellent in an underseen film called Payday which is well worth seeking out

SteveDave

RIP RIP

I can highly recommend "You're A Big Boy Now" to see Rip playing the father of someone who's only 12 years younger than him. To make him look older they've just put talc in his hair. From the looks of it.

Just Geoff Capes left for some quality RIP death tweets now.

up_the_hampipe

I hope daddy gets his sausages in heaven :(

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 10, 2019, 10:34:57 AM
Excellent in an underseen film called Payday which is well worth seeking out

That's just been given a freeleech on Cinemageddon to commemorate his passing, so I shall definitely be watching it soon.

machotrouts

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 10, 2019, 06:52:42 AM
Just yesterday I threw on a random episode of 30 Rock for me to eat pork chops to, and it turned out to be the one where Don Geiss (played by Torn) dies, which got me thinking about whether or not the real Rip Torn was dead.  Googled, confirmed: "Nope, not dead".  And now look.  Did I somehow remind the universe that it was about time?

I could have sworn Torn died years ago, and now I think I must just have been conflating him with his 30 Rock character. But that means if you die in 30 Rock you don't also die in real life? No, ridiculous. What has happened here is your Google search triggered a Mandela effect crossroads. Now look what you've fucking done Noodle. You've made Rip Torn alive and then dead again

SteveDave

Goddamn he's good looking in that clip ^^^

my thoughts exactly. absolute babe

mothman

And, for an apparent wild man, he stayed married for his second wife for 25 years (until she died) and to his third for 30 years (until he died). The fact that Sissy Spacek is his cousin was news to me too (it's almost as surprising as another recent film star relatives thing I learned, that Bonnie Bedelia is Macaulay Culkin's aunt).

Glebe

I am deeply ashamed to say that the thing I knew him best from was MiB.

McChesney Duntz

Gutting for me, as my avatar might imply. One thing I always wondered/assumed: the last name of Norman Mailer's Maidstone character - the one he attacked with the hammer and was paid back for by nearly having his ear ripped and torn off - was Kingsley. I like to think that Garry Shandling, well aware of this event, made sure to give his fictional talk-show sidekick the same last name, to ensure that Torn's Artie was always subliminally hostile to him for the full run of Larry Sanders. Probably not, but it sure amuses me.

bigfatheart

He was great in Payday, playing a country singer. Has a bit of an Easy Rider feeling to it, which maybe made up for missing out on that film a little. Seems like it's all on YouTube too.

One of the few things I remember from watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was Alec Baldwin talking about working with Rip Torn on 30 Rock. He was telling him a story about being in a bar fight and fighting several men at once. Baldwin asks him "When was this, in the 60s?" "No, just last week." Pretty much the perfect Rip Torn story.