Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resonance of Fate (totally unique strategy JRPG)

Started by Sin Agog, July 10, 2019, 12:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Any fans of this?  It's by Takayugi Sugoro, the guy responsible for the mechanics on Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and a couple of the Valkyria games, and it's like little else.  First up it has the shittest tutorial ever, which is also easy to miss entirely; even if it had been good, it initially feels like nothing less than a masters degree would suffice to learn how to handle this battle system.  That seemed to be the studio Tri-Ace's modus operandi.  But it will eventually click, and you'll be John Woo'ing through the sky ratcheting up giant combos all over the place.  It's like one of those oblique board games like Le Havre you assume you'll never, ever understand, until you do.  It's weird how our facile monkey brains are wired to only really play a few different variations of gameplay, and doing something different that works can feel like learning a new language.

Apparently it came out a week after FFXIII and sank without a trace, but it's far better than any other JRPG of its generation.

bgmnts

Definitely caught my eye around release but after FFXIII i was JRPG'd out and I read it was around 300,000 hours long.

Also, Lost Odyssey is the best JRPG of its time.

Bazooka

Yeah had it on the PS3, I liked the mechanics, but it felt very grey, I saw it on the PSshop the other day and was tempted,as I never completed I.