Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:05:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What do you have on your walls?

Started by Emotional Support Peacock, July 10, 2019, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm moving house soon and would like to make my new house look nice.

The people who are moving out have some nice art on the walls, but when I try to imagine what I would put on my walls I worry that anything I chose would be too boring, too weird, too cliched, a faddy choice, unrepresentative of me as a person, or any number of other things that might make me self conscious about having chosen it to put on my wall.

How do you choose? What do you have?

It must be even worse choosing a tattoo because you can't just get rid of it if you change your mind...

Pingers

Sebastian Cobb

Can't go wrong with Edward Hopper imo.

Chollis

Sherringford Hovis

Both my wife's sister and my own brother think they're a bit "arty" and insist on painting or drawing things and giving them to us in quite posh frames as gifts.

Their efforts - without exception - struggle to be mediocre. I wouldn't actually mind if they were hilariously shit. Most of their daubings live in a crack between a big chest of drawers and the wall, to be hung only when an impending visit is looming.

The stuff on the walls that I like is framed coloured plates from old encyclopedias - really easy to knock up yourself with dusty old volumes, a craft knife, some cheap mounting card and some battered charity shop frames. Goes really nicely with the country cottage aesthetic which pervades my tumbledown hovel.

Avril Lavigne

A framed vintage 1996 promotional flyer for Elvira's Scared Stiff pinball machine.

rasta-spouse

You know that wall ascending stack of three flying geese you see in pics of 70s houses? I liked them so much I bought a set.

But wall-hanging rope art seems quite in now.

hamfist

inb4 someone posts that satanist wall art from the recent thread...

Sin Agog

Sin Agog

Once spent a few months babysitting a big Victorian house in Essex, and forgot to take down the thirty or forty vintage Soviet propaganda posters I put up before I left.

Icehaven

Mr. Haven and I have both contributed to decorating our walls. He's made a display of some of his military stuff, his regiment badges, medals, a few epaulettes and a photo of him with a gun by a tank, all in nice glass cases. I made a framed piece of old wallpaper with a Sean Hughes quote written on it and a glow-in-the-dark jigsaw of space with some pieces missing. I'd recommend neither and just get some old pub mirrors with booze ads on, they're cool.

seepage

red wine :(

actually, wouldn't mind getting some of those fake-impasto pictures of sunny foreign climes they used to give away in garages in the 60s, in the white plastic frames.

José

greasy handprints, nicotine stains, skull fragments... the usual really.

Glebe

[tag]Trump attempts light chat during Mexico visit.[/tag]

imitationleather

A poster on here years back said he had a load of samurai swords on his wall. As you do. Just a perfectly normal guy with a load of swords on his wall. I remember thinking at the time "Even Jeffrey Dahmer would probably have thought that was a bit OTT."

My walls are covered in posters of exhibitions that I have been to because I'm a prick.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on July 10, 2019, 05:39:51 PM
A poster on here years back said he had a load of samurai swords on his wall. As you do. Just a perfectly normal guy with a load of swords on his wall. I remember thinking at the time "Even Jeffrey Dahmer would probably have thought that was a bit OTT."

Probably has a degree in blade studies tho

Rizla

The Culture Bunker

Some posters of comic book stuff (yes, I'm a child) including Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Cap America... a couple of paintings by an artist friend of mine and some by my Missus and various members of her family, who are all artists. There's also a map of Cumbria from the 1930s or so that Paul Simpson from the Wild Swans gave me and a replica of FAC1 that I got for a tenner at Vinyl Revival in Manchester.

2 guitars and an Appalachian Dulcimer(all hung on hooks), a framed poster for the film 'High Rise', a mirror in a plain dark frame, various certificates for professional qualifications, a copy of the black & white photo of The Overlook Ball that featured at the end of 'The Shining', a cork board in the hall that's covered with business cards and a photo of Ai Weiwei that my late partner gave to me, a photo of my late Grandfather stood by his lorry,  a family photo that was taken in Cyprus in 1994, a photo of my late partner and me posing on the balcony at the Tate Modern. The same day Damien Hurst overheard me calling him a pretentious wanker. A plate with a picture of a Welsh lady operating a spinning wheel on it(family heirloom), A photo of a handsome young Highland piper in full regalia taken in Edinburgh during the Festival in 2002(actually, that's a picture of me busking in the Royal Mile Official Area before the festival organisers clocked the fact that my mate and me were playing without permission and we made a tidy sum before they cottoned on and we were discreetly told to fuck off). And a photo of my(then) 92 year old Gran flicking the 'V' sign at the camera.There's also a framed newspaper cutting of the time when I fucked the electricity supply into a small village by accidentally reversing a lorry into a mains power pole causing the cables to clap together. Bang! Flash! Fizzzzzzzzzt!

The Culture Bunker

Oh yeah, in the hallway (was just going round my living room in the above post) I do have this framed collection of photos that my dad put together. It's got: all my grandparents (including granddad standing very proud in his Shell uniform in front of his truck), five of my great-grandparents and also a couple of my great-great grandparents. The pic of my dad's dad's dad is pretty cool, as it's the only one of him that we know of.

seepage

Quote from: imitationleather on July 10, 2019, 05:39:51 PM

what was the TV program about men's interior design where iirc one bloke did have a load of samurai swords on his walls, including two over his waterbed? Perhaps it was that poster. Another just had several giant of pictures himself with women he'd coerced into posing with him at his work's Christmas party, and a fridge full of Moët but no one to drink it with.

New folder

I have a display of hundreds of different beer bottles, glued onto shelves and illuminated by mood light - collected from years of being an alcoholic a beer connoisseur.

mothman

Spiteface