Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:07:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How is this possible? (Smart Home App Question Thread)

Started by magval, July 10, 2019, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Here.

I got some plugs, into which other electrical items are inserted. Synced them to me Wi-Fi, so I was able to turn them on and off with the app on my phone. Handy as I don't have to reach down the back of a big unit of books.

However.

Out of total curiosity, I decided today to see if the app worked remotely, which it does. I'm able to to turn the lights in my home on and off from work. Naturally, when I'm at work, I'm not on my home Wi-Fi to which the plugs are connected.

How is this possible?

magval

I was on the phone with my wife when I tested it.

Pseudopath

This is how the Philips Hue system works, but I'm sure whatever you've bought follows a similar principle:

Those Google WiFi access points work in a similar way in that I can see who's connected to my home wireless network even when I'm out and about and can block specific devices and carry out remote speed tests. Of course, it's only possible thanks to our blind willingness to surrender every nugget of privacy to multinational conglomerates in order to save ourselves having to occasionally move a bookcase the Internet of Things.

magval

I think I understand, so it's not the Wi-Fi where the whole connection lives, it's like a higher-tier cloud account to which my Wi-Fi has access, as does my mobile data.

Makes more sense.

Shut thread.

Quote from: magval on July 10, 2019, 07:22:53 PM
I think I understand, so it's not the Wi-Fi where the whole connection lives, it's like a higher-tier cloud account to which my Wi-Fi has access, as does my mobile data.

Makes more sense.

Shut thread.

The WiFi is connected to the internet, and your mobile phone is connected to the internet. Anything connected to the internet can talk to anything else connected to the internet, at least in principle. The details are for nerds, sorry for being a dick.

DrGreggles

Why would you want to turn the lights on/off when you're not at home?
Or am I missing something?

Uncle TechTip

Basically, Philips knows precisely when you turn your lights on and off. That's... reassuring, I guess?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 10, 2019, 09:19:16 PM

Dunno. I thought about getting some remote controlled sockets and using a raspberry pi to control them; switching the lights (and maybe my amp) on if it's past sunset and my mobile phone is present on the network.

magval

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 10, 2019, 09:19:16 PM

You wouldn't, but you could use the same function to avail of remote control over anything that runs on electricity, I dunno, stick the oven on, something like that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: magval on July 10, 2019, 10:44:11 PM
You wouldn't, but you could use the same function to avail of remote control over anything that runs on electricity, I dunno, stick the oven on, something like that.

If only there was some decades-old technology that could turn ovens and central heating on at a specific point in the day.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 10, 2019, 10:45:20 PM
If only there was some decades-old technology that could turn ovens and central heating on at a specific point in the day.

Not sure my missus would like being called 'technology' though

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 10, 2019, 07:29:50 PM

How many servers does it take to turn on a lightbulb?

I've got my home lights linked to a kanban implementation in Trello, with replacements for blown bulbs handled through Bugzilla. I used to use stock Redis before I migrated the on/off switch to Azure. I've still got shed and garage lighting running on Openstack, fucking lol at that. 

Dex Sawash

thenoise

My grandpa used to have a thing where he could turn the lights on and off by clapping his hands. That was pretty fun. Don't think it worked when he wasn't home though, not that we ever tested it.

Noonling

Your house is gonna kill you one day.

Hope this helps :)

Replies From View

seepage

Q. How many Philips software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. None, it's a hardware issue.

Q. Why doesn't my Philips lightbulb work?
A. We have a copy of your lightbulb in the office and it's working fine.

snort!

Sebastian Cobb

Anyone who has seen this 90's documentary should be really concerned about connected devices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HPq-WDnFQ

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 11, 2019, 10:13:02 AM
Anyone who has seen this 90's documentary should be really concerned about connected devices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HPq-WDnFQ

That documentary relies on a belief in Mind-body dualism, which is clearly bollocks.

This 1977 documentary, on the other hand, focusses on the threat from the development of a murderously intelligent, sensually self-programmed non-being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jWyyhyxSg.

Enjoy your coloured lightbulbs, suckers. In ten years time, they'll be crawling up your rectum in a bid to reproduce with you.

jonbob

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 10, 2019, 09:32:15 PM
Basically, Philips knows precisely when you turn your lights on and off. That's... reassuring, I guess?
and where you were when the request was made and so does any one else who wants to know