Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What do you imagine old age will be like?

Started by peanutbutter, July 10, 2019, 09:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Well? Going by my family I doubt I'll see past 65 due to some issue or another but even by that stage I struggle to imagine what it'll all be like. Do you just get so bored by most things that you take pleasure from wherever you can and gradually care less and less about the whole death thing cos, like, shit's boring as fuck?

Have you ever asked an old person how bored they are by decades of the same stuff? If not and one is near you right now, can you ask for me?

St_Eddie

Much the same as it is now, but with the exciting additions of arthritis and incontinence.

Inspector Norse

I'm 34 now so I'm assuming the oft-mooted singularity will have happened by the time I get properly old (when I'm 42 or something), so I expect to spend my dotage kitted out with bionic shit, exploring the galaxy on a sentient spaceship.

Sebastian Cobb

Shit, I reckon.

I'd say at least you don't have to go to work but the way pensions are going that's probably going for the burton.

Barry Admin

Cuntbeaks

I think it wil go a little like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M4RbnxSLwo

With some disablement stopping me from doing the things I always dreamed of doing, whilst I was working hard.

idunnosomename

I've recorded a load of videos abusing my elderly self. hopefully I die before I become a plague on this planet though.

It's gonna be a nightmare just randomly falling asleep all the fucking time, missing the end of every film you start watching, every sporting event that lasts longer than the men's 100m, probably can't even make to the end of your favourite album without nodding off ... if it's not the sleeping it's the desperate need for a piss. I've already noticed I seem to be going more often these days. By the time I'm 70 there'll be next to no time left in the day between napping and pissing.

Old folk can't help farting every time they have to bend down and pick something up as well, which is frequently as they're all clumsy as fuck. Pissing, farting & sleeping - what a dismal life.

There's just no dignity to it at all is there?

Luckily the way society is going I'll probably be worked to death like a cart horse long before I ever get the chance to retire, if the concept of retirement even exists by then.

Phil_A

The thought of dying doesn't really bother me, but I am getting more worried about the possibility of loss of self through illness or decrepitude. Not being able to remember the very things that made you who you are is a terrifying concept.

I work in mental health and some of the casenotes I've seen of people who've lost their faculties as they hit old age are heartbreaking. I've seen it in my dear old Nana who now can't remember any of her life experiences - all her stories about working in the R.A.F. during the war, the grief she carried for years after my granddad's passing, all gone.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Quote on July 10, 2019, 10:00:51 PM
Pissing, farting & sleeping - what a dismal life.

Speak for yourself mate.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Phil_A on July 10, 2019, 10:08:18 PM
The thought of dying doesn't really bother me, but I am getting more worried about the possibility of loss of self through illness or decrepitude. Not being able to remember the very things that made you who you are is a terrifying concept.

I work in mental health and some of the casenotes I've seen of people who've lost their faculties as they hit old age are heartbreaking. I've seen it in my dear old Nana who now can't remember any of her life experiences - all her stories about working in the R.A.F. during the war, the grief she carried for years after my granddad's passing, all gone.

senility removes every last trace of everything you have ever heard from skrillex so swings and roundabouts mate

Replies From View

I get little twinges in my human body that tell me how difficult it's going to be to move around and stuff in the longer term.  Hips, knees, ankles, various points on my back all have their turn at rendering me almost immobile for a few days at a time, or longer.  It's very fun.  Today I am having inexplicable difficulty raising my right arm to shoulder height as if it is bruised or some shit.  So amongst other things I have had to close my blinds and turn my lights off with my left hand, and when I forget, and try with my right hand, I do a little yelp of pain.

Really good.

mothman

I'm 48 and have arthritis throughout my hands. Knees and feet are shot already. I'm resigned at this point to old age not being an option.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 10, 2019, 09:28:00 PM
Much the same as it is now, but with the exciting additions of arthritis and incontinence.

This

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Dignitas or equivalent please. A lovely infusion of pentobarbital please.

As some one who works in health care, getting frail and old generally sucks balls. Especially if you lose your marbles.

Make plans before you get unwell and explicitly state what you do and don't want.

Other than that, just pissing or needing to piss all day.

Fry

As long as I have weed, the internet and videogames I can't imagine it would be much different.

Wait, it'll be better because games will be absolutely brill by then.

Cerys

But imagine if games have become so great that total immersion makes it impossible for your age-raddled mind to differentiate between them and reality.  You might inadvertently dismantle your walls while thinking you were playing Sexy 3D Tetris, or unpleasantly perforate the cat in the mistaken belief that it's an evil Elder Scrolls bunny rabbit.  And then your poor, long-suffering family would have no alternative but to upload you into the Geriatric 5000 repository, and never log in to visit your wizened, gurning mug.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fry on July 11, 2019, 05:55:39 AM
As long as I have weed, the internet and videogames I can't imagine it would be much different.

Old age slacker! Get down those Post-Brexit Tar Pits and earn your fucking gruel!

thenoise

If old age is deliberately playing crap games from 20 years ago because they remind me of how much happier I was, then I am there already.

Rolf Lundgren

I used to know of a bloke who retired and played Call of Duty every day but you rarely hear of old people really getting into games, possibly because they didn't grow up with them. If you're housebound it sounds like as good an idea as watching the telly.

Sebastian Cobb

Your reaction times and sight would be fucked compared to all the youts playing it though, you wouldn't stand a chance.

Cuellar

imitationleather

I hope that between now and then I start getting sexually attracted to grannies.

Replies From View

They'll hopefully be able to plug us into really good virtual reality situations when we are old, like the way they did with those codgers in the matrix sequels.