Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 9 [merged]

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, July 10, 2019, 10:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

bollocks

i don't think i can watch this anymore now i have noticed the frequency of 'genuinely'

it's such a shame because i love this programme

bollocks

genuinely, how often do you say 'genuinely' in life

DrGreggles

Utter Shit

That bin task really confused me - surely the list of accepted moves should have made it almost impossible to get it wrong? Being able to tip one over, shake one and drop something in one pretty much rules those three out (I know someone was incredibly unlucky that they dropped something on Alex and managed to hit the bottom which made it seem like it was empty), and then on top of that you could make a phone call and seemingly hear the phone ring. Really confused me that they all struggled with it, I'm guessing I just didn't understand it.

Also, as much as I love Ed Gamble, he should be banned from using his phone from now on the cheating scumbag.

olliebean

Around the end of that episode, I suddenly became involuntarily transfixed by how fat and pink Greg's neck is, and now I don't know if I'm going to be able to ignore it for the rest of the series.

Sin Agog

Great ep.  Digging the excitable pups the most, which is unfortunate, as Ed Gamble passed away shortly after eating that sour sweet.

Ja'moke

Excellent bit this week with the build-up to Ed creating a baby statue and the realisation from the audience of what was about to happen.

Old Thrashbarg

Thought it was a very good episode in general. And it's been a great start to the series.

Only real negative so far has been Jo Brand wheeling out her tired "I can't be arsed" stuff too often. The whole reason for the premise working is that everyone buys into it and tries to win/wants to avoid losing. That's what makes the failures more entertaining. Just deliberately failing in a boring way is not entertaining.

olliebean

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 20, 2019, 09:52:04 AM
Thought it was a very good episode in general. And it's been a great start to the series.

Only real negative so far has been Jo Brand wheeling out her tired "I can't be arsed" stuff too often. The whole reason for the premise working is that everyone buys into it and tries to win/wants to avoid losing. That's what makes the failures more entertaining. Just deliberately failing in a boring way is not entertaining.

I think the editing is playing that up, though. The task where they had to enter the caravan within 2 minutes of Alex, and she thought it meant exactly 2 minutes after Alex, she'd only been waiting for less than 2 minutes but the edit made it look like she'd been dithering around for ages.

I must admit, I wondered if they were all going to fail that task on the grounds that they all sat down, in contravention of Alex's first spoken instruction. I suspect that might have been included as a gotcha, but they decided not to go with it as it would have eliminated everyone.

DrGreggles

Also, on the 'score a goal' task, did it even say that they had to be driving the roller?

Poobum

Not minding Jo Brand in this, did like her "I just got on with it like a nerdy little fuckwit" line.

Was quite worried Baddiel was gonna cripple himself or herniate something as he ineffectualy wielded the sledgehammer. He's cementing my opinion of him of being, at most, a very mediocre person.

Ambient Sheep

But but but he got a double-first from Cambridge!!!!11

I loved the fact he thought he could melt that down with lighter fuel, or indeed anything short of a blast furnace...

Small Man Big Horse

A therapist friend of mine suggested after the first episode that Katy Wix seemed a bit depressed, and after this third one I think she might be on to something.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2019, 11:54:11 AM
The task where they had to enter the caravan within 2 minutes of Alex...

I noticed one of them tried to grab the water pistol and the whole board lurched downwards a few inches...  I was hoping one of them would rip the board down and take it with them!

DrGreggles

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 23, 2019, 11:15:14 PM
I noticed one of them tried to grab the water pistol and the whole board lurched downwards a few inches...  I was hoping one of them would rip the board down and take it with them!

Rhod Gilbert probably would have.

chveik

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2019, 09:18:43 PM
A therapist friend of mine suggested after the first episode that Katy Wix seemed a bit depressed, and after this third one I think she might be on to something.

Wix is not in studio for next week's episode, replaced by Kerry Godliman.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2019, 09:18:43 PM

What were the signs? Totally passed me by.

Ambient Sheep

Well that comment in episode 3 about being so broken she couldn't be put back together again, let alone in seven minutes, seemed genuinely heartfelt and a bit worrying.

Hadn't noticed anything before that but I might go back and have a look.

It seems she keeps her personal life extremely quiet.

Um guys... just found this interview from six years ago:

QuoteSome of Katy's earliest memories are of performing with her brother.

"Me and my older brother used to do little stupid sketches from a young age, so it was always there but I never thought I could make a living from it, even though I knew I could do it every day."
::
From a young age, she took to studying the comic personalities that she felt had perfected their own artform.

"I was obsessed with it in a really geeky way, rushing home to record everything – stuff like Alan Partridge, I used to watch that obsessively and wore out my VHS copies. I would record things off the radio, loads of Chris Morris' (Brass Eye creator) stuff and I remember the first time I heard the Mighty Boosh and Vic and Bob stuff. My brother used to sit and watch all that and for the 17th time, he'd still be laughing over and over again, so I was always into comedy."
(emphasis mine, obviously)

So it's entirely possible she's reading this...

Famous Mortimer

I thought she was very good in one of those Channel 4 pilots that never got picked up.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 24, 2019, 09:07:13 AM
What were the signs? Totally passed me by.

Just that she seemed quite restrained and downbeat, but as Sheepy says here...

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 24, 2019, 07:28:36 PM
Well that comment in episode 3 about being so broken she couldn't be put back together again, let alone in seven minutes, seemed genuinely heartfelt and a bit worrying.

Which made me feel like she's not in a good place right now.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 24, 2019, 07:28:36 PM
Um guys... just found this interview from six years ago:
(emphasis mine, obviously)

So it's entirely possible she's reading this...

It wasn't meant to be critical of her and I'm a big fan in general, she's superb in The Windsors and her Richard Herring Leicester Square Podcast episode was a really great one too.

Sin Agog

I think she's just trying to assume a dry, deadpan persona, a bit like Wednesday Addams crossed with Lorraine Kelly or something, and she's doing pretty well at it, I think.

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 24, 2019, 09:01:31 PM
I think she's just trying to assume a dry, deadpan persona, a bit like Wednesday Addams crossed with Lorraine Kelly or something, and she's doing pretty well at it, I think.

nah there's sadness in her eyes

rasta-spouse

Hmmm. Like Sin Agog, I'm also of the opinion she's putting on a persona for comic effect. I think it works really well in her Taskmaster youtube interview, if you watch, it seems like a good naturalistic performance of an awkward person.

But, I mean, she could be sad for real on top of that.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 24, 2019, 08:53:48 AM
Wix is not in studio for next week's episode, replaced by Kerry Godliman.

And she's left the show?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 24, 2019, 09:19:10 PM
Hmmm. Like Sin Agog, I'm also of the opinion she's putting on a persona for comic effect. I think it works really well in her Taskmaster youtube interview, if you watch, it seems like a good naturalistic performance of an awkward person.

But, I mean, she could be sad for real on top of that.

And she's left the show?

I'm only passing on what it says in the Radio Times. I have no inside track.

Ambient Sheep

It's been mentioned in r/taskmaster by people who went to the recordings, she's back later on I think.  Just a scheduling conflict I guess.  ISTR one of the others gets swapped out for a week too, I'll go see if I can find it.

EDIT: Kerry Godliman for episode 5, Katherine Ryan for episode 6.  Seems I was wrong about someone else being replaced.

According to https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/taskmaster/episodes/9/5/ it's because she "falls ill during the studio records".

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 24, 2019, 08:39:34 PMIt wasn't meant to be critical of her...

Oh God no, I realised that.  It was more a pre-emptive strike before anybody delved deeper or was nasty.

Besides, she might still have the tapes... ;-)

Katy Wix is great. Think there's a case that she's been the best guest on Gittins' podcast too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on September 24, 2019, 10:54:17 PM
Katy Wix is great. Think there's a case that she's been the best guest on Gittins' podcast too.

Certainly one of my favourite episodes.