Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Short fuse bagel shop blowout

Started by Fry, July 11, 2019, 05:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Quote from: sponk on July 11, 2019, 10:21:37 AM
Why is it okay to bully men for being short? It's something you can't help, and does lead to lots of discrimination, bullying, and reduced life chances generally, but it seems it's deemed okay to keep heaping misery and abuse onto an already vulnerable group of people.

I'm not watching the video, but, from the description I've read it seems he was lashing out after years of the above.  If it was a woman behaving in the exact same way, because men have bullied her for being "ugly" or something, and someone tackled her, would the reaction have been the same?

In fact, I'm sure it would have been, on alt right forums and Reddit pages. I remember seeing a video at a protest where a girl accuses a man of groping her, then she tries to slap him and another man empties a can of pepper spray into her face. Alt-righters loved that shit.

Well yeah, but it's not like he's visibly being bullied for being short in the video. I highly doubt that when he went into the bagel shop they said 'Ohoho, hello short arse, what'll it be? We don't have any SHORTBREAD HAHAHA. Hey, look at this guy ladies. Would you date him? Of course not, he's comically small'

Judging from the video it's far more likely he's not getting dates because he's a twat.

Blue Jam

A free MINI bagel? Oh that's just cruel.

sponk

No, of course he was wrong to take it out on them. But vulnerable, abused people often lash out at the wrong targets. Maybe he is a twat, but attacking anyone for immutable characteristics always makes me uneasy, no matter what they've done.

ETA more whataboutery. I remember that video of a trans woman being accidentally misgendered in a video game shop, and lashing out, trashing bits of the place. I thought she reacted badly, but I still felt sorry for her, knowing she'd probably put up with abuse for years and finally snapped. Some people, on the right obviously, ridiculed her just for being trans after that incident. That was appaling, and I'm sure many of the people piling on this guy would agree. But for some reason they think some immutable characteristics are fine to attack, but others are not. Not sure why.

EATA: I'm not saying calling someone short is as bad as misgendering them, or that short people have it as bad as trans people.

Chollis

Quote from: sponk on July 11, 2019, 10:21:37 AM
If it was a woman behaving in the exact same way, because men have bullied her for being "ugly" or something, and someone tackled her, would the reaction have been the same?

it certainly does make u think

sponk

Oh that's an original response you interesting cunt

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fry on July 11, 2019, 05:03:12 AM
I will give him this though, if I was going to be a 5 foot man going on an angry tirade in shop that's exactly the voice I'd pick. Excellent character work.

Funcrusher

He's posted a response. Says the shop people were making fun of him and he lost it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEPSMGCLxk

Cuellar

Quote from: Funcrusher on July 11, 2019, 11:15:01 AM
He's posted a response. Says the shop people were making fun of him and he lost it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEPSMGCLxk

That's a joke isn't it?

"I went and ate the sandwich in my car, and it was actually a really good sandwich, which is good, because I was ready to drive my car right through the window and kill everyone in there"

Funcrusher

It would appear that when not having a crazy rage fit he is capable of making jokes.

Blue Jam

Quote from: thenoise on July 11, 2019, 07:36:53 AM
The equivalent with women, dating wise, is weight

Dating-wise, I think the equivalent of height for women is... height. A lot of taller women struggle with dating because a lot of men don't want a girlfriend who is taller than they are, taller women are often seen as unfeminine, and a lot of men go for shorter women because they "like to feel protective" (though personally I've always found that last one really creepy).

For all the arguments about heightism and weightism and whatever on dating sites, I think the real problem is the very nature of online dating. With a massive pool of potential dates you can go in with the aim of finding your ideal match, and you can aim high, and aim for for something very specific. If your ideal is a 6'4" man, you're not going to specify a minimum height of 5'3". If you want a slender woman, you're not going to go looking for a plus-size one.

Meanwhile, away from the internet, the same person might meet someone and just feel a spark, and not even notice their height or weight. If you look at couples you'll notice most of the men in them are under 6'0", and most of the women aren't a size 8, but that didn't stop them finding a partner.

Life has taught me that I don't really have a "type", and types are bullshit, but compiling a list of traits you find attractive is just what you have to do to use a dating site. You need to whittle down that massive pool, and you will probably miss out on a few people you really would have clicked with, but that's just how it works.

Online dating is like online shopping but for humans- and it's pretty horrible when you think about it. It has its uses and I'm sure a lot of people have found love online, but after I tried it once I decided it wasn't for me.

sponk

Yeah you would say that when you're 8ft tall. Fuck off you lanky incel

Beagle 2

"I got a coupla good rabbit shots in there, he will be feeling that tomorrow, that I fucking promise you".

Chilling.

Some obvious glee in his voice there that he's on the one way train to meme immortality. I wonder whose music video he will be making a cameo in first. Probably the Foo Fighters.

Gerald Fjord

Quote from: Cuellar on July 11, 2019, 09:56:16 AM
Or she's got an eating disorder caused by this sort of thinking.

Or, y'know, she is a weight she is herself perfectly comfortable with, and does not care to restrict her diet in order to change a body in which she is content.

Of course, I'm sure the "fat check"* would only be part of a wider audit into self-control which would take in alcohol use, cigarettes, academic achievement, no. of hours spent idly browsing the internet per week, no. of wanks per week etc.

As for the guy, I mean, his public freakout is deeply embarrassing and the dude's carrying round way too much rage but christ, we've all had bad days. And on those bad days I've never gone into a bagel place, asked for a sandwich and been mocked for my appearance. And if I had been I like to think I would just walk out and cry, but I might start losing my shit like a little weeny man baby an upset toddler this guy did. I think everyone in this video is being a dick and should be publicly shamed and/or flogged.

*no fat checks lol beat you to it

Funcrusher

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 11, 2019, 11:33:09 AM
"I got a coupla good rabbit shots in there, he will be feeling that tomorrow, that I fucking promise you".

Chilling.

The other guy basically beat him up, but this is chilling.

Beagle 2

It was a sarcasm. The guy's about as chilling as a barfed madras.

Jerzy Bondov

My wife is the same height as me (5'9"). Very convenient and fair for everyone. I recommend it. The 5 foot man should find a nice little 5 foot woman. Everyone should pair up with someone their own height. I suppose tall men would have fewer women to pick from, and short women would have fewer men, but then there's always the option of Going Gay.

Pijlstaart

I eat a lot of bagels, because you can eat them after you've fucked them, you can run them under a tap or keep them avec schmear.  Women lack this versatility. This poor guy doesn't realise how good he has it. Marrone! Pra-shoot! He can fit wherever he likes. Fuck a bagel in a desk drawer. Fuck a bagel in his little mushroom house. He has it made, a bagel goomah, marrone! I'd love to be smaller so I could go in more places, get a rock-hard midget fear boner from being overpowered by knee-high woodland creatures, wedge self in drainpipe and starve to death.

It's all about expectations.

Dex Sawash

There is a man working at my Trader Joe's who must be under 5'. He is very very handsome and makes me do a little phwoarr when I see him. I would have never noticed him at all if he was a average heighter. This probably means I am _____ic and ______ist.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My advice to small men is dress like Yul Brunner in Westworld and walk around like him. And kill everyone. And be a robot.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 11, 2019, 11:53:40 AM
My wife is the same height as me (5'9"). Very convenient and fair for everyone. I recommend it.

Being the same height as one's partner is nice, can confirm.

I have only heard two women in real life go on about liking taller men. One was a work colleague at my last job, she was about 4'10" and said "I wouldn't want to be tall, you wouldn't be able to find a boyfriend taller than you" but she was a moron (and single). The other is a friend who is very tall herself, and not a moron, or single, but she does fancy Mark Selby.

canadagoose

This is weird, I feel like I'm going against the tide here by saying he's an aggressive little prick. I mean, sure, he's been brainwashed by all that incel / MGTOW shit on the internet, but that doesn't mean it's all right for him to be a royal PITA at the bagel shop, jeez.

Funcrusher

His response is not the best, but if people in the shop were making fun of his appearance that's not acceptable either.

Barry Admin

My issue with stuff like this is you don't see the surrounding context, and I was thinking of starting a different thread asking how you'd cope yourself if you had a bad day, and it was immortalised in one of these videos.

At first he looks like a giant prick (yeah, I know), but when you hear his take on it, he states that the girls behind the counter kept taunting him by offering him a mini bagel. And when you watch the video again, you see him pointing towards them, which seems to add weight to this premise.

But maybe he's lying? Maybe the twitter feed isn't being ironic or cunty and they're currently promoting mini bagels, so that's why the staff mentioned them.

Basically, the whole idea of taking a side is flawed from the start, and should be resisted, but it's just too difficult, isn't it? People sit on social networking all day deciding how awful people like this are, and reading an awful lot into very little. (Again, I know.) Then all the hack start with their usual articles about patriarchy, incels, political correctness, blah blah blah.

I'm reminded of this bit from Armando Iannucci's "Facts and Fancies" (I think) which was about Big Brother; something about a guy eg cutting a lettuce the wrong way, and the press making a big deal about it, and then he gets called 'lettuce twat' for the rest of his miserable existence. It was brilliant at the time, nailing the idea that a short, edited clip could be used to ruin someone's life and reputation for the purposes of low-quality entertainment, and now that's what so much of internet culture is. People whipping out their phones to capture and spread someone in a vulnerable moment who, to be fair, might be acting like a complete cunt.

Jerzy Bondov

The bloke that jumps on him needs a good public shaming to be honest. Just flattens him. What was the point of that.

Barry Admin

I mean, writing that post, I still felt myself thinking "better be careful here; the point is really not to take a side at all, but I'd better be careful that I'm not leaving myself open to accusations of misogyny by making it look like I'm totally excusing the actions of this bloke."

It's all just a shitshow. Too many judgey cunts online now who only see things in black and white, and who rush to judgement, and get off on pillorying others.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah exactly. I see the bigger bloke jumping on him and immediately leap to the conclusion that he's some meathead who goes around desperate for any excuse to bodily tackle someone to the ground and sit on him in order to feel like he hasn't got a really tiny penis, I mean just an unbelievably small and ugly little horrible penis, really detestable excuse for a penis quite frankly, he can barely stand to look at the thing, this crumpled nub of flaccid skin, his misshapen glans peeking out like half a singed clown doll head in a battered old toy box in the remains of a burned down house, with society telling him you've got to have a lovely looking big smooth penis or you'll never feel loved and is it any wonder he has to jump on an angry little bloke in the bagel shop when this is what he has to deal with?

QDRPHNC

I feel safe coming down on the side of empathy for someone who is clearly having some kind of mental episode.