Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:51:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lion King remake

Started by madhair60, July 11, 2019, 09:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

mjwilson

Quote from: Chriddof on July 13, 2019, 09:27:44 AM
Something that's definitely worth discussing are the weird, inexplicable mental gymnastics Disney are going through pretending it's not animated:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/dont-let-disney-gaslight-you-the-lion-king-is-an-animated-film-heres-the-teaser-166897.html

Right but exactly nobody is being misled, everyone knows it's all CGI, whatever Disney choose to call it.

Chriddof

Agreed, but it is quite weird and a bit comical.

TheMonk

That bit in The Goodies episode with the big cat where the two dogs sing Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better is more convincing that that clip.

Replies From View

The article is strange.  Disney aren't pretending this isn't CGI; there is a wider effort to promote photorealistic CGI as live action, because that's where Hollywood films are these days.  I think that's far from ideal but it's a very different thing.

The notion that thousands of animators aren't being recognised for their work because of the decision to label this as live action is ridiculous.

St_Eddie

bgmnts

You almost have to admire Disney's cynicism really.

This looks really shockingly dull to be fair. It will make at least $500 billion on its opening weekend so it doesnt matter but still.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on July 13, 2019, 02:53:34 PM
You almost have to admire Disney's cynicism really.

Bloody well don't!

Quote from: bgmnts on July 13, 2019, 02:53:34 PM
This looks really shockingly dull to be fair. It will make at least $500 billion on its opening weekend so it doesnt matter but still.

You speak the truth.

Like most of these remakes/reboots of beloved and successful films, this will be a footnote in history.

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on July 13, 2019, 11:17:22 AM
What's gaslighting meant to mean in that context?

I'm not sure what gaslighting means in ANY context. I see it bandied around on social media all the time, but to admit ignorance of it apparenyl equates to denying it exists at all and therefore being guilty of it yourself (whatever it is).

samadriel

AIUI, gaslighting is when an abusive spouse tries to convince the abused partner that they're out of touch with reality, and that the abuse they suffer is "normal".

St_Eddie

Quote from: samadriel on July 13, 2019, 04:03:24 PM
AIUI, gaslighting is when an abusive spouse tries to convince the abused partner that they're out of touch with reality, and that the abuse they suffer is "normal".

Aye.  As someone who went out with a sociopath for two years, I have firsthand experience.  Having said that, it kinda sucks to put a label upon such behaviour, particularly when it's a buzzword and gets adopted for a fucking Hollywood remake of all things.  As much as I hate Disney and their remakes, I'll take their cynical, lazy, corporate bullshit over my sociopathic ex-girlfriend, any day of the week.

BritishHobo

It is annoying - it's great to see awareness of the concept risig in recent times, meaning there's more help and understanding for people going through it. Less great when people then lazily broaden the term by applying it to frivolous things.

alan nagsworth

the film is live action though because you're going to the cinema and sitting down and watching it, and that whole sequence of events is completely live action. even pictures moving on a screen in front of you is a live action event. everything is live action, disney was right.

mothman

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 13, 2019, 04:14:39 PM
As much as I hate Disney and their remakes, I'll take their cynical, lazy, corporate bullshit over my sociopathic ex-girlfriend, any day of the week.

Bloody hell, she must have been REALLY bad!

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on July 13, 2019, 04:55:34 PM
Bloody hell, she must have been REALLY bad!

Yppity, yippity, yip, yip, yip.

One woman managed to turn me off dating forevermore, so bad was she.  Disney are close though. Real close.

biggytitbo

I hope this film is successful and they make a cartoon version of it.

Custard

I still haven't recovered from their Beauty and The Beast cover version. Of their own song. Still, Emma Watson. Who hasn't worked since

Catalogue Trousers

Yes, astonishingly, there is a way to make The Lion King even more shite.

Blumf

There was a stage play of The Lion King, very well received with some clever costume work. Why didn't they do something like that? You could do some really interesting things when you loosen the look of the film instead of rigidly chasing photo realism in a story that can't really work realistically.

Captain Z

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 13, 2019, 03:32:04 PM
Like most of these remakes/reboots of beloved and successful films, this will be a footnote in history.

"...and it was the release of a Disney movie1 that ultimately brought about the collapse of human society."

-------
1 The live-action remake of "The Lion King"

Bazooka

Lion King on the mega drive though is top tier entertainment.

madhair60

Quote from: Bazooka on July 15, 2019, 09:11:02 AM
Lion King on the mega drive though is top tier entertainment.

It's shit.

Noodle Lizard

I saved up 20 quid in pennies for months to buy that when I was 7 or so.  Turned out to be bastard hard and unfair to boot.

I did complete it in the end, though.  I remember the final boss battle with Scar took me days to finish (you had to restart the entire game if you lost all your lives) because it involved a finishing move the game never teaches you.  Ace.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 15, 2019, 11:32:16 AM
I did complete it in the end, though.  I remember the final boss battle with Scar took me days to finish (you had to restart the entire game if you lost all your lives) because it involved a finishing move the game never teaches you.  Ace.

Indeed, that boss fight was total bullshit!

VelourSpirit

What does Favreau do when he directs this? Seems like the entity Disney just directs it and he's off doing the Mandolorian.

St_Eddie

Quote from: TwinPeaks on July 16, 2019, 08:57:05 PM
What does Favreau do when he directs this? Seems like the entity Disney just directs it and he's off doing the Mandolorian.

Pretty much exactly the case.  Disney hires directors who will do what they're told to do.  They're not interested in hiring auteurs.  They want people who know what they're doing but aren't so big that they'll start arguing with the executives on how things should be done.  It's why so many of these movies feel bland and without a unique voice.

bgmnts

I mean they gave a relatively unknown director free reign of the biggest franchise in film, they obviously did put some stock in auteurs.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2019, 09:57:32 PM
I mean they gave a relatively unknown director free reign of the biggest franchise in film, they obviously did put some stock in auteurs.

It's an odd outlier, bgmnts.  The hiring and inordinate amount of freedom which Rian Johnson was granted for The Last Jedi was done so through Kathleen Kennedy (President of Lucasfilm).  That's a separate division/subsidiary from the executives' hiring for and overseeing the 'live action' remakes of classic Disney animations.  There are also plenty of (unconfirmed) reports that Bob Iger has pulled the leash on Kennedy, so to speak, since the debacle of how she's handled the recent Star Wars movies (audience division over The Last Jedi and firing directors, plus extensive and expensive reshoots being the main contention).  Basically Rian Johnson is the exception which proves the rule.