Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtua Racing (Switch)

Started by Beagle 2, July 11, 2019, 10:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

This is the best racing game I've played in years. I've had more fun over the last week of replaying the same three tracks on this than I have through the whole of Forza Horizon. Burning through the same turns over and over to try and shave off a couple of miliseconds and the quick cancel/restart when you make even a tiny mistake is a potent formula for addiction.

There is one issue I'm having though, if I select 'normal' controls, my car veers all over the road without me touching the joy con. I thought this was an issue with the game, but it seems that my joy con must be a bit fucked. I don't have an issue with any other game like this, and it goes away if I select 'arcade' controls - but arcade controls seem to lead to slower laps. Does anybody else get this? Am I going to have to buy new joy con just to play this game? Worth it.

I don't think I'm very good, I've only managed to win the first two tracks and a second placed finish on expert. Best times: Medium: 3.17.40 Expert: 4.15.81

I haven't even really dipped into Grand Prix mode and I assume that the online is dead. This is such a perfect game though, I hope they release more tracks or even a track editor. Probably nae chance. 

madhair60

I have a feeling that "normal" is a new thing for this port that auto-steers you away from full-on crashing?

It's unbelievably brilliant. Good old M2.

Beagle 2

Quote from: madhair60 on July 11, 2019, 10:52:57 AM
I have a feeling that "normal" is a new thing for this port that auto-steers you away from full-on crashing?

Well it's weird, because my mates don't get it but some people online are having the same issue. It even veers off each way on the track select screen, but only when I select normal. God knows. Fucking irritating though, sometimes it barely does it and sometimes it's all over the road.

Beagle 2

Jesus Christ, this game. I can stop it doing the random veers by using the d-pad but I can't use the d-pad on the hairpin because it just doesn't seem to turn, so I have to use the stick for that and as soon as I do the cunting thing starts twitching on the straight. So nearly won just then but no here comes captain veer me into a wall to veer me into a fucking wall the fucking veering wall cunt.

Going to bed in a disgusting mood. Sign of a great entertainment source.

Have you got Parkies? That's never happened to me ever.

Sounds like you've got a drifting joycon analogue stick. It's a very common fault that Nintendo are refusing to acknowledge publicly.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/guide_how_to_fix_a_drifting_nintendo_switch_joy-con_analogue_stick

I would suggest sending it back to Nintendo if you're still under warranty before you do any repair work.

Are we talking Joycon or Pro Controller? The latter is supposed to be a much easier fix than the former. Pretty diabolical they've not addressed this fault.

Does it happen in any other games, Beagle?

Beagle 2

it doesn't happen in any other games and it doesn't happen in arcade mode. Weirdly, when I try and use the pro controller that's stuck permanently on steer right (again, only on 'normal' mode). It seems like a combination of some sort of bug with the game and dust in the stick. I've hammered the joy con and it's probably time for a new one, but the pro controller I've barely used.

Anyway, this game. I still haven't won on expert. My mate did today and it will honestly ruin my weekend if I can't do it today. That bastard hairpin.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 12, 2019, 10:37:27 AM
Sounds like you've got a drifting joycon analogue stick. It's a very common fault that Nintendo are refusing to acknowledge publicly.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/guide_how_to_fix_a_drifting_nintendo_switch_joy-con_analogue_stick

I would suggest sending it back to Nintendo if you're still under warranty before you do any repair work.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I'm sending fuck all to nintendo though after they fixed my DS and charged me more than the price of a new DS.

buntyman

I downloaded the mega drive version and found it pretty much unplayable because of the shoddy graphics. Is it much easier to see what's going on on the switch?

Yeah, vastly. It's impressive they got a version running on the MD but it was well below the original arcade version, of course. The Switch port is typical M2 genius and is considerably better than the arcade original.

Beagle 2

Finally fucking won on expert. 04:12.00. I'm 130th in the world. Must break into the top 100 before the weekend is out.

the

Quote from: buntyman on July 12, 2019, 11:38:50 PMI downloaded the mega drive version and found it pretty much unplayable because of the shoddy graphics.

Virtua Racing on the MD is a technical marvel you bell

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: the on July 14, 2019, 01:06:13 AM
Virtua Racing on the MD is a technical marvel you bell

Shoddy

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've been looking into this, but isn't only three tracks a bit shite? It must get rather boring very quickly, no? Wish they'd put out Sega Rally 1 and 2 or something.

buntyman

Quick update: I bought it and it's rubbish albeit much better than the technological shitshow of the mega drive version from yesteryear. Back to Tetris.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 14, 2019, 03:08:29 AM
I've been looking into this, but isn't only three tracks a bit shite? It must get rather boring very quickly, no? Wish they'd put out Sega Rally 1 and 2 or something.

It's an incredible port of a classic arcade game with three excellent tracks. People have been playing and trying to master them for twenty-five years. It's six quid. It's beyond arcade perfect and it's clearly a labour of love by M2, who have been working on all the Sega Ages ports, alongside all their other stuff including the Mega Drive Mini and the ShotTriggers ports of assorted Cave shmups. They never release anything that isn't technically perfect, and this time they actually improved on perfect.

Sega Rally has four tracks, as a reminder, but I'd love them to tackle that one next. I've been playing it a bit recently on the 360 and it's still great.

Pseudopath

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 14, 2019, 06:07:41 AM
Sega Rally has four tracks, as a reminder, but I'd love them to tackle that one next. I've been playing it a bit recently on the 360 and it's still great.

If they're doing them in order of release, it'll be DAYTOOONAAAAA (Let's Go Away) next.

I don't know if M2 have a plan, nor Sega, but I am really pleased with these releases. The recent OutRun and Space Harrier releases are also absolutely mint.

I would be well up for Daytona and Sega Rally, and even the likes of Virtua Fighter 2 which I've been playing recently on the 360. It holds up really well and the vector graphics look excellent these days as a stylistic choice.

The main thing getting in the way of ports of the rest of Sega's arcade racing lineup is licensing. Getting those cars in isn't cheap in a post-Gran Turismo/Forza world.