Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rip Father Stack

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 11, 2019, 12:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Well, he had his fun, and that's all that matters.

RIP :(

Aw RIP. Along with Pat Mustard, Father Fintan Stack was probably my favourite one-off character - just an unapologetically malicious twat. Loved the name too.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

"If you ever say that to me again, I'll stick your head through the wall".

Oh yeah, and Brendan Grave.

imitationleather

He's the reason that jungle became popular in the UK. No one had heard of it before that episode and now it occupies every spot in the top 40 each week.

touchingcloth

Fr Fintan Stack and Fr Benny Cake were shortlisted candidates for our dog's name at one point. RIP.

[tag]Will you not eulogise for Finty?[/tag]

magval

Really only rivaled by Hank Scorpio in the one-appearance-character stakes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 11, 2019, 04:51:01 PM
Fr Fintan Stack and Fr Benny Cake were shortlisted candidates for our dog's name at one point. RIP.

Suggested this as a name for my unsuccessful late 90s band, but it was vetoed by the others.
Democracy just doesn't work.

Noodle Lizard

Oh no!  We had an Irish nanny when we were kids who would constantly play Brendan Grace's comedy/music tapes (and the Riverdance soundtrack - she was a bit of a stereotype, now I think of it).  I tried to find some of the songs/bits I remembered recently, but no luck.  There was a routine about going to a Chinese restaurant which is probably a bit old-fashioned now, but fondly remembered.  Probably one of my first proper exposures to comedy, really.

And yes, Father Fintan Stack was hilarious, such an infectious "arsehole" voice.

Lost Oliver

<tags>I've had my funeral and that's all that matters<tags>

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 11, 2019, 08:43:17 PM
<tags>I've had my funeral and that's all that matters<tags>

Really hope he got buried/disappeared behind the crem curtains to Cutty Ranks' Limb by Limb.

touchingcloth

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 11, 2019, 07:38:11 PM
Suggested this as a name for my unsuccessful late 90s band, but it was vetoed by the others.
Democracy just doesn't work.

Well it's still untaken as far as I'm aware, and it is a great band name...

oy vey

Here's the Chinese takeaway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUHS2_y1xLk

The PC brigade would have a field day today, but they're wrong because it's old, simple and charming. And that's all that matters.

I've been imagining Father Fintan Stack celebrating mass without shorts. Sitting here, imagining that, with a big smile on my face. Dirty fecker.

Buelligan

Fr. Fintan Stack, easily my favourite single serving comedy character.  Never forgotten.

Glebe

Sad news indeed. Fond childhood memories of Bottler, who was kind of like if Terry Scott's Curly Wurly schoolboy character was a raging alcoholic, drunkenly boasting about tearing up bus seats and the like, and I'm sure there's a fellow Irish CaBber or two from my age group who'll remember the Free a Nipper ads!

Only discovered a few years ago that Wurzels' hit 'The Combine Harvester' was actually originally written and released by Grace (although being a parody of Melanie's 'Brand New Key', the music and vocal melody is taken from that song)... here's the Grace version.

He had a fan in Frank Sinatra, too.

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 11, 2019, 01:22:08 PMAlong with Pat Mustard, Father Fintan Stack was probably my favourite one-off character

Actor Pat Laffan passed away just a few months ago, actually. Btw, RTE repeated the Fintan Stack episode last night.

Quote from: Glebe on July 12, 2019, 05:11:18 PM

Actor Pat Laffan passed away just a few months ago, actually. Btw, RTE repeated the Fintan Stack episode last night.

Yes, in addition to checking out Fr Fintan Stack clips, Brendan's death also caused me to look up Pat Mustard on YouTube. I've been playing The Penthouse Suite by Syd Dale in his honour for the last couple of days (don't know how to link YouTube videos here).

magval

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 13, 2019, 08:39:17 PM
Yes, in addition to checking out Fr Fintan Stack clips, Brendan's death also caused me to look up Pat Mustard on YouTube. I've been playing The Penthouse Suite by Syd Dale in his honour for the last couple of days (don't know how to link YouTube videos here).

Thanks for identifying this, adore this sort of stuff as I mentioned on here ages back.

Here's the link for the restayiz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gx7CSXEzo