Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,978
  • Total Topics: 106,372
  • Online Today: 528
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 30, 2024, 05:06:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stupid fucking lyrics by idiots

Started by alan nagsworth, July 12, 2019, 12:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 27, 2019, 09:34:39 AM
so, yes. we've done that.

Ah no way! Thought I'd read the thread...and it seems like quite an obscure song but apparently it isnt...

The song so bad they hated it twice

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrPm-TAoRLM

Song is an absolute banger but I cant decide if the lyrics are genuinely stupid or not.

Poobum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Jkf9Mu3mg

I've been mainly fantasizing about giving this guy a Colombian neck tie. I am full of hates.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Poobum on July 28, 2019, 10:55:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Jkf9Mu3mg

I've been mainly fantasizing about giving this guy a Colombian neck tie. I am full of hates.

me too. I didn't even listen to it- the very sight of it caused me to sick up a comment on it. :-/

idunnosomename

kidsick5000

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on July 12, 2019, 06:51:05 PM
Some belters from "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer
A contender for the worst tune, worst-named band, and worstest lyrics of all time.

Now steady on, are you sure you're not getting them mixed up with contemporaries, and strong contenders for worst tune, worst-named band, and worstest lyrics of all time -

DEEP BLUE SOMETHING

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Dear God have mercy on my soul

QuoteYou'll say we've got nothing in common
No common ground to start from
And we're falling apart
You say the world has come between us
Our lives have come between us
Still I know you just don't care

And I said, "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?"
She said, "I think I remember the film
And as I recall, I think we both kinda liked it"
And I said, "Well, that's the one thing we've got"

I see you, the only one who knew me
But now your eyes see through me
I guess I was wrong
So what now? It's plain to see we're over
And I hate when things are over
When so much is left undone

You say that we've got nothing in common
No common ground to start from
And we're falling apart
You say the world has come between us
Our lives have come between us
Still I know you just don't care

Ooh, and I said, "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?"

A conversation you'd overhear by some old woman in a corner shop, set to a dirge and repeated over and over

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 28, 2019, 06:25:37 PM
DEEP BLUE SOMETHING

Breakfast at Tiffany's

....a dirge and repeated over and over

it was on heavy-rotation on VH-1 when the channel was quite new & trying to establish exactly where its demographic lay, or could lie if tasered out of post-rave early-middle-age complacency & persuaded to jig about a bit. somehow- I think because the tech of the day meant that the tapes were a little less vulnerable- this awful piece of art escaped my usual resort, which was... we kept a stage weight (from the studios) as a door-prop for the transmission suites &, on the occasions of "oh, ffs, not this again!", the weight would be dropped onto the cassette, which would then be returned to the library so they could order a fresh copy. several phil collins clips were into double figures.
by this time, when such things happened, there were at least two other strategies...
one was the 'double-roll', whereby not long after the clip started, one could simply hit play on the next clip & 'crash' out of the offending one. this would leave you 'under for the hour' & free to fill with whatever you wanted from the filler list. 99 times out of a hundred, this would be at least one airing of "crosstown traffic" (C878756, iirc). I once ambled into the tx suite having noticed that a particularly vexatious meatloaf video had just started, one that angered me because someone had actually been killed during the filming of it. I double-rolled it, leaving the horrified tx ops nine minutes under for that hour.
another strategy was to interfere with the barcodes on the cassettes- these told the automation system where to find the start of the clip, & also how long it was. 'blackhole sun' is a masterpiece, but being played every hour of the day was too much for us shift-workers. I re-barcoded it to change the in-point to 5'00, so that only the last 18 seconds would ever play. it still appeared in the logs &, at a glance, you'd never know anything was amiss. lasted three weeks, that trick.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: Natnar on July 13, 2019, 08:09:29 PM
Marianne by Tori Amos

Yeah... I always cringe at 'pesters and lesters and jesters' in particular. But I'm sure I read somewhere that that song was essentially improvised, which makes me judge it differently.

I love ABBA dearly, but... fucking hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPd7chBq_J0

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 28, 2019, 06:25:37 PMDEEP BLUE SOMETHING

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Dear God have mercy on my soul

What annoyed me about that one was that there seemed to be too many choruses because the verses were so damn short so it just seemed like you were listening to the chorus over & over & over & over...

famethrowa

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 29, 2019, 05:51:59 PM
What annoyed me about that one was that there seemed to be too many choruses because the verses were so damn short so it just seemed like you were listening to the chorus over & over & over & over...

Even worse is that pointless wheedling guitar line after each chorus that just sort of fades off after 7 notes.

ajsmith2

The lyric of Breakfast at Tiffanys is kind of like a Seinfeld subplot set to music. Either George or Jerry or Elaine (not Kramer) can't break up with someone cos their conversation keeps coming back to the film or something. Like their first date was watching it, and every time the Seinfeld regular tries to end it, the date of the week strategically brings up how much fun they had watching the 1963 classic and they're tricked into continuing the relationship. Can totally imagine that as a B story for any of those characters.

It fits in well with that kind of 90s end of history, no big worries but the small stuff banality of that era. It's an utterly banal topic for a lyric, and taken literally as an account of a relationship being saved over such an insignificant detail it's borderline demented, but (whether intentional or not) there is a kind of existential Sisyphean weight to the song, the way the verses tentatively consider moving on, taking a scary leap into the unknown, maybe facing the reality of a romance that's effectively over; and then the relentless chorus comes back in offering the comforting security of the re-enactment of the rush of the beginning of the relationship; no need to try again or face scary new horizons, you had a good thing for one moment and maybe it's better to safely replay the memory of that over and over rather than face a future where you might never come close to having it again.

Parklife. (so you don't have to)

Jockice

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 30, 2019, 09:17:22 AM
The lyric of Breakfast at Tiffanys is kind of like a Seinfeld subplot set to music. Either George or Jerry or Elaine (not Kramer) can't break up with someone cos their conversation keeps coming back to the film or something. Like their first date was watching it, and every time the Seinfeld regular tries to end it, the date of the week strategically brings up how much fun they had watching the 1963 classic and they're tricked into continuing the relationship. Can totally imagine that as a B story for any of those characters.

It fits in well with that kind of 90s end of history, no big worries but the small stuff banality of that era. It's an utterly banal topic for a lyric, and taken literally as an account of a relationship being saved over such an insignificant detail it's borderline demented, but (whether intentional or not) there is a kind of existential Sisyphean weight to the song, the way the verses tentatively consider moving on, taking a scary leap into the unknown, maybe facing the reality of a romance that's effectively over; and then the relentless chorus comes back in offering the comforting security of the re-enactment of the rush of the beginning of the relationship; no need to try again or face scary new horizons, you had a good thing for one moment and maybe it's better to safely replay the memory of that over and over rather than face a future where you might never come close to having it again.

Parklife. (so you don't have to)

How strange. I heard that song yesterday and did a Facebook post on it. Here it is:

Thanks to a certain radio station I have on in the car, I currently have Deep Blue Something's Breakfast At Tiffany's stuck in my head. This is not good.

It's not the worst number one single ever (an 'honour' that'll forever by held by the dreadful Dreadlock Holiday) but it's certainly one of the most inexplicable.

I mean, what's the set-up here? The singer is listening to the 'it's not you it's me although really it's you' bit when he suddenly has a brainwave - to mention a movie they've seen together. After discounting Debbie Does Dallas, Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer and Bambi 2 (this time it's personal) he settles upon a light-hearted early romcom. That should do it he thinks.

But faint heart never won fair lady and neither did that. She can only vaguely remember it and can't really work up much enthusiasm either way. You, my man, have been well and truly given the Spanish archer. El Bow.

A more realistic scenario would have been: "So I said what about Breakfast At Tiffany's? She said: "What about it?"" The end.

Shallow Blue Nothing more like!

Twed

The song is interminable, but I actually quite like the concept of just about maybe barely remembering a film being the one thing these two cunts have in common.

popcorn

I always thought the line was "we both kinda hate it" and listening to it again now I still can't hear it as "like". Is it really "like"?

Icehaven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 13, 2019, 12:23:47 PM
Probably a "clever" metaphor for a car.

A motorbike.
A previous singer in my band basically rewrote the chorus of Dead or Alive for one of our songs and didn't even seem to realise, which was embarrassing for all concerned.

jobotic

I've never read or listened to Breakfast at Tiffany's properly before, as it gets turned off pretty quickly if I'm able to.

I thought he meant how about having breakfast at a cafe called Tiffany's and we were supposed to think she's daft because she remembers that that's a film.

Which doesn't make much sense.

boki

Quote from: Deep Blue ShitheadAnd I hate when things are over
When so much is left undone

He's on about anal, isn't he?  Your man's whinging cos he didn't get his bumperfun.

gilbertharding

Breakfast at Tiffany's is for me, the twin record of You're Gorgeous, by Babybird. Although it probably doesn't *quite* live in this thread, the lyrics are horrible, rather than stupid.

samadriel

I said it in the last stupid lyrics thread, but...

If fashion is your trade / then when you're naked / I guess you must be unemployed, yeah?

That is awful.

However I don't actually think Jarvis is an idiot.  Whatever.

Ferris

Quote from: samadriel on August 02, 2019, 08:05:28 AM
I said it in the last stupid lyrics thread, but...

If fashion is your trade / then when you're naked / I guess you must be unemployed, yeah?

That is awful.

However I don't actually think Jarvis is an idiot.  Whatever.

Those are really good. It's parodying someone with shit patter trying to chat up a girl. It sets up the rest of the song - if this is the guy, I can see why she's so desperate to get rid of him later because it was deffo a mistake

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 24, 2019, 02:02:51 PM
Remembered this gem from the uber ride yesterday

Comparing themselves to Fred Flinstone, with their ability to make a bed rock, isn't even an original thought - Steven Colbert said something almost identical in an old episode of "Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law".

Noodle Lizard

There was a while in my teens where everyone's MSN status or MySpace quotes comprised of shite, faux-profound lyrics from poor-quality emo bands.  Fall Out Boy were most frequently to blame, but this one from Taking Back Sunday was the worst offender for me:

"Hoping for the best just hoping nothing happens
A thousand clever lines unread on clever napkins"

Clever napkins.  Imagine actually writing that line, recording it, and then choosing to sing it in public for years to come.  They're probably still singing it now.  I would absolutely suicide if some crap line I wrote when I was an angsty 13-year-old became associated with me for the rest of my life.  They were fully-grown adults when they came out with that.  They knew what they were doing but they should have known better.

Noodle Lizard

The Japanese band Dir en grey are one of my favorites, but Christ it's embarrassing when they try to do English lyrics.  There's one which has the refrain "I'll rape your daughter on your grave", which is bad enough as it is, but even worse when the singer's poor pronunciation makes it sound like he's saying "Irish daughter on your grave".

There's another one where he yells "One day I will fuck your parents!"  Powerful stuff.  The Japanese-English translation barrier is one of the most fascinating to me.  The two languages just don't have anything in common.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 02, 2019, 10:25:33 AM
Those are really good. It's parodying someone with shit patter trying to chat up a girl. It sets up the rest of the song - if this is the guy, I can see why she's so desperate to get rid of him later because it was deffo a mistake

Exactly, it's a deliberately naff piece of self-satisfied wordplay. The songwriter Jarvis Cocker doesn't actually find it funny.

QDRPHNC

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come (won't you come)

Repeat for 12 minutes.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 13, 2019, 06:39:52 PM
Strobe lights beam create dreams
Walls move minds do too
On a warm San Franciscan night

Old child, young child feel alright

Angels sing leather wings
Jeans of blue Harley Davidsons too

Old angels, young angels feel alright
On a warm San Franciscan night.

This reads exactly like Talk to Transformer.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 03, 2019, 03:05:18 AM
Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come (won't you come)

Repeat for 12 minutes.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 28, 2019, 06:37:36 PM
another strategy was to interfere with the barcodes on the cassettes- these told the automation system where to find the start of the clip, & also how long it was. 'blackhole sun' is a masterpiece, but being played every hour of the day was too much for us shift-workers. I re-barcoded it to change the in-point to 5'00, so that only the last 18 seconds would ever play. it still appeared in the logs &, at a glance, you'd never know anything was amiss. lasted three weeks, that trick.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Fisher Goes Berserk on July 29, 2019, 03:42:36 PM
I love ABBA dearly, but... fucking hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPd7chBq_J0

that is a fucking masterpiece. the beardy one clearly doesn't think it's a good idea, but it's genius. I thought it was about twins until right at the end.