Author Topic: Transcendental Meditation  (Read 1113 times)

Re: Transcendental Meditation
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 02:53:13 PM »
I think they're pretty adamant that you close your eyes during TM, although I prefer the focusing your attention technique.  It's tiny fucking differences like that which distinguish the different 'schools.'  It's like that Liliputian war in Gulliver's Travels over which side they eat their eggs from (although those tiny psychopaths who ate them upside-down deserved to be squished).

Part of the mindfulness things on headspace involves a bit of 'scanning down the body' where you sort of become aware of pressure points or any stiffness/tenseness and bits that feel good. I usually notice a slightly stiff back and maybe a bit of trapped wind, but anyway the way he does it 'scanning down' takes ages and I cant do it sensibly in that time so I just do it several times instead. Probably fucked the entire process up.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »
Paying to learn these things does set off alarm bells for me. I’m not suggesting they’re anything like as bad as Scientology (who according to the latest popbitch has got its claws into Simon Pegg) but it’s not right.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 03:01:16 PM »
Paying to learn these things does set off alarm bells for me. I’m not suggesting they’re anything like as bad as Scientology (who according to the latest popbitch has got its claws into Simon Pegg) but it’s not right.

It did seem to be making me feel a bit better when I did it. There's a free one called Insight Timer but I was spoiled for choice with the meditation packs so I haven't had a good sit down and picked one to try yet.

grassbath

• In love we're all the same
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
Part of the mindfulness things on headspace involves a bit of 'scanning down the body' where you sort of become aware of pressure points or any stiffness/tenseness and bits that feel good. I usually notice a slightly stiff back and maybe a bit of trapped wind, but anyway the way he does it 'scanning down' takes ages and I cant do it sensibly in that time so I just do it several times instead. Probably fucked the entire process up.

I did the Headspace beginners course too, and found the 'scanning down the body' bit weirdly offputting to what I was trying to achieve overall. I did notice some stiffness in back and shoulders so it was nice to find a source of tension that I could then seek to remedy with exercise etc, but generally I found body focus took me out of the zone so I started to ignore that part.

I also feel a bit guilty because I've all but stopped using Headspace since they starting asking me to subscribe, even though they're obviously a wholesome bunch and the practice did have small but noticeable benefits to my mental and physical health. I guess it just stings a bit for the user when you realise that they're profiteering, even though it shouldn't be surprising - like bringing you back to earth with a bump.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
Sends you right beggy notifications if you stop using it as well.

Nowhere Man

• I seek the buildings blazing with moonlight
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »

Twit 2

• In the boneyard of dreams
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 05:16:01 PM »
TM: shit for cunts, wishy-washy bullshit.

Meditations in general: fine, as one of many possible ways to chill out.

I’m all for meditations if it’s simply and scientifically worded but the minute you involve mumbo-jumbo and/or large sums of money then GTF.

Anything worthwhile you can do with your life should take 5 minutes to explain and understand and a lifetime to enact with rigour and grace.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 05:23:07 PM »
Was it the TM bunch who made one of the most hilarious party political broadcasts in history or am I thinking of a different lot?

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »
They were the Natural Law Party, indeed.

Puce Moment

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 05:36:49 PM »
Connected to the Life Foundation (cult)?

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »
TM: shit for cunts, wishy-washy bullshit.

Meditations in general: fine, as one of many possible ways to chill out.

It can be a bit more than just chilling out.  It can, at least temporarily, turn an anti-social type who ducks down an alleyway to avoid a conversation with someone they know into someone who dives straight into a party of people without a second's thought.  Probably the reason why Lynch likes it, as he never really enjoyed talking and this 'words' business much at all.

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
It can be a bit more than just chilling out.  It can, at least temporarily, turn an anti-social type who ducks down an alleyway to avoid a conversation with someone they know into someone who dives straight into a party of people without a second's thought.  Probably the reason why Lynch likes it, as he never really enjoyed talking and this 'words' business much at all.

This can be true, I'd honestly compare the effect of meditation when you get it right to being on drugs, it's quite amazing. I'll never manage to be one of the doing it every day types though. Also think that maybe too much of it might be a bit isolating and make you a bit disconnected potentially.

alan nagsworth

• meat suite marathon!
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2019, 06:16:17 PM »
It's basically just sleeping while sitting upright. I do that all the time on the train. Does it get my head into a good place? No, it gets my head, as well as the rest of my body, to some fucking far away place I don't want to be, like Dagenham. So if you want to go to the mental equivalent of Dagenham be my guest but personally I'm sorted down the pub round the corner from my house, cheers.

Re: Transcendental Medita
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
  Just repeat any circular syllables in your head (I use the Persian book of kings, Shahnameh, just 'cause it was there in front of me when I did it for the first time). 

Reminded me of a documentary I saw, Kumare, about this dude who decides to become a fake guru and start a cult. He gets them all chanting 'Kumare, Kumare' which he tells them has some mystical energy but its just a word he made up. And of course, the lesson is, the word only has the power that you imbue it with. Good film, it's on YouTube or dailymotion or the like.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:39:55 PM by Ray Travez »

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »
Very sorry, but I have no time left to try this because I already allot 2 hours per day to Mike Cernovich gorilla breathing.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • Just put 'nice plums'.
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »
There's a thread already for this, but it's about 6 years old so I'm starting a new one.

I went to an introductory session for this yesterday.  It was in a suburban house and our host was a lady of about 70, a former school teacher.  Four of us attended, me and three women, including a mother and daughter.  I was told the mother wasn't completely new to TM as she had already been for a consultation with an ayurveda doctor.  "It was very beneficial," she said.

We watched a DVD featuring a number of people in 'ordinary' jobs (though skewing heavily towards the arts) speaking about the benefits of TM.  Once it had finished, our host spoke to us in more detail about the practice, its history and its potential benefits.

We were told that there were studies conducted in the early 70s that showed US cities were 1% of the population practiced TM showed an 8% drop in crime, while cities which had less than 1% of practitioners showed an 8% rise in crime in the same period.  Our host admitted that the initial study had been carried out by the Maharishi's disciples, but a follow-up study confirmed the results.  (I have searched online but can find no record of either, except for a press release issued by the Maharishi University claiming similar results from a study in 2006.)

The word 'astrological' was used at one point, and 'Aura' at another.  The host also referred to the third law of thermodynamics, quantum mechanics and Freud and Jung as if just dropping these names and phrases conferred scientific credibility on the practice (she seemed to think that Freud's concept of the Id and Jung's of the Collective Unconscious were equivalent). 

There was also a fair amount of dissing of what might be termed the opposition.  Other meditative practices were derided and all religions dismissed.

For all this, though, I'm still interested because, anecdotally, it seems to work.  People who practice it say it benefits them greatly, and just because the teachers feel the need to bolster the claims with pseudo-scientific hooey doesn't negate that.  Has anyone on here tried it?

You do know that this is a load of bollocks don’t you?

Absorb the anus burn

• I'll serve raw potatoes at my summer party
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2019, 06:51:13 PM »
It's better than sitting around, doing nothing.

Why Don't You? has let itself go.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2019, 07:02:15 PM »
It's basically just sleeping while sitting upright. I do that all the time on the train. Does it get my head into a good place? No, it gets my head, as well as the rest of my body, to some fucking far away place I don't want to be, like Dagenham. So if you want to go to the mental equivalent of Dagenham be my guest but personally I'm sorted down the pub round the corner from my house, cheers.

My dad used to fuck off for hours at a time under the umbrella of meditating.  My mate Sammy and I finally confronted him.  Teach us this magical power of meditation you have.  It turned out what he'd been doing all this time was having 'siestas.'

I know you're being glib and I'm acting like a po-faced meditator who doesn't understand jokes anymore, but you should'nae be even a tiny bit tired while/after doing it.  The actual process is not exactly relaxing, to be honest- it can be a bit of a ballache.  It's often akin to getting your gluteus maximus to hold a loose poo on the precipice between your bumhole and the toilet bowl for several minutes.  Not the kind of procedure it's possible to fall asleep during.

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
The best way I've heard this type of meditation described is you're trying to think of nothing.  An impossible task but you can train the brain to become it's own 'witness', just noticing thoughts that occur and neither judging nor forcing them out of your mind, just gently pushing them aside (by focusing on breath/mantra etc). 

I just focus on my breath after finding out that the TM 'magical' mantras are randomly assigned based on your birthdate.  The line that Lynch keeps putting out about it being necessary to 'sacrifice' something material (to receive this magical mantra based on your birthday) is particularly disingenuous seeing as it put me off for about a decade.  Staggering to me in general how TM advocates can't see how bad they all look swanning about in these papal robes.   

I have found it useful though.  Plenty of times recently I've started getting wound up but I've been able to self-monitor my emotions and rein myself back in.  Finding it easier to let go of things all round. 

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
My dad said he was given a mantra to repeat and if he told me it wouldn't work.

This is as laughable as my mum believing arnica wouldn't work if she touched it with her fingers.

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2019, 07:42:29 PM »
As far as i can tell, there isnt really anything that differentiates TM from other forms of meditation, other than a bunch of mumbo jumbo and a structure of gurus who charge for teaching you it.

Yeah, I've often wondered if that is the case. I saw an advert for TM (presumably because I have David Lynch as a like in Facebook) and it seemed to just be rubbishing other forms, without explaining why it's different.   Catching The Big Fish is quite an enjoyable read, but I finished that not really knowing what TM actually is.

Ruby Wax is the only person I've seen sell meditation without the hippy stuff.  It's a shame because I suspect many people are put off learning some tricks to cope with anxiety because of all the stuff surrounding it makes it sound like nonsense.

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »
It's a decent process but meditation and, especially 'mindfulness' is a massive industry that boils down to retuning your thoughts to think everything is OK, the fact this and antidepressants are both huge industries suggests that everything is not OK.

This is not a post suggesting either of these things are worthless.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2019, 09:41:42 PM »
My dad said he was given a mantra to repeat and if he told me it wouldn't work.

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2019, 01:26:09 AM »

I’m all for meditations if it’s simply and scientifically worded but the minute you involve mumbo-jumbo and/or large sums of money then GTF.

You see, I don't think this is necessary.  Sure, when discussing possible benefits to the physical body, or measurable mental benefits (or even quantifiable benefits to the city you're living in too, I suppose) then a rigorous scientific analysis is necessary, but when it comes to the subjective lived experience, then anecdotal evidence is as good as any.  "I feel energised."  "It makes me more creative."  "I'm calmer now."  That's a dataset that's as valid as any measurement of heart-rates or brain-waves.  (Of course, they could be lying, fooling themselves and/or you for some reason, but that's a judgement to be made on a case-by-case basis.)

Twit 2

• In the boneyard of dreams
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
Yeah, I should have put ‘simply and/or scientifically worded.’ Feeling energised’ is a simple enough concept, fine. I just dislike the obfuscation around these things: it serves to make the attainable seem unattainable and allows charlatans to exploit and profit from vulnerable people.

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2019, 06:03:33 AM »
Stick with the TM and you'll be yogic flying in no time... Meditation has some benefits but some people get a bit carried away with how much it can do

samadriel

• WHA' HAPPEN?
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
Why not just take heroin?

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2019, 11:38:41 AM »
Why not just smoke a heron?

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place