Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dwarf 13: The AA Advert

Started by ajsmith2, July 12, 2019, 01:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Slightly shorter than previous series, but overall about the same quality we've come to expect from the Dave era. A solid 6/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dvSPmVtgew

DrGreggles

ajsmith2

Genuinely interestingly, the behind the scenes featurette (which is longer than the feature) contains interviews with both Doug Naylor and Rob Grant on set. 'Grant' ed, they're not seen at the same time, but clearly they were both around at some point during the shoot. Think they interacted at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Pu-ebXh2M

Sebastian Cobb

If this were made during peak Red Dwarf era either lister or the cat would definitely be trying to pump the AA lady, space is lonely.

Shaky

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 12, 2019, 01:17:13 PM
Genuinely interestingly, the behind the scenes featurette (which is longer than the feature) contains interviews with both Doug Naylor and Rob Grant on set. 'Grant' ed, they're not seen at the same time, but clearly they were both around at some point during the shoot. Think they interacted at all?

Don't see why not, I believe they've long since buried the hatchet. Grant has always politely kept his distance regarding "new" Dwarf, though, so strange to see him hanging around there.

madhair60

This is the best episode of Red Dwarf ever.

imitationleather

Quote from: Shaky on July 12, 2019, 02:31:09 PM
strange to see him hanging around there.

£££££££££££££££££££££££

Avril Lavigne

Very odd that they had to use a janky MIDI version of the theme song.  Assuming they had to and didn't just prefer awful synthesized lead guitar to the real thing.

St_Eddie

Pretty darn good advert, all things considered.  It's funny that the special effects are a step up from the actual show these days, due to AA pumping more money into the production than Dave do.

Quote from: Shaky on July 12, 2019, 02:31:09 PM
Grant has always politely kept his distance regarding "new" Dwarf, though, so strange to see him hanging around there.

It's not that strange.  Rob Grant is a controlling director of Grant Naylor Productions after all (he also worked on completing the 'Bodysnatcher' script for the Bodysnatcher Collection DVD, as well as recording commentary tracks.  Oh, and he attended the last 'Dimension Jump' annual fan convention - his second ever appearance at such an event and his first appearance in decades).  Having said that, I'd love for him to return to co-writing a final series with Doug Naylor but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on July 12, 2019, 02:41:00 PM
Very odd that they had to use a janky MIDI version of the theme song.  Assuming they had to and didn't just prefer awful synthesized lead guitar to the real thing.

Indeed.  Presumably AA didn't deem it worthwhile to cough up the money to license the proper music from Howard Goodall.

imitationleather

With Craig Charles being involved I'd say that an advert for NA would be more appropriate !!!!

bgmnts

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 12, 2019, 01:11:02 PM
Better than life s7.

Unpopular opinion: Tikka to Ride is one of my favourite episodes of the whole show.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on July 12, 2019, 07:46:11 PM
Unpopular opinion: Tikka to Ride is one of my favourite episodes of the whole show.

It's decent enough, and definitely the highlight of that series.
The rest of it was shockingly bad.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: bgmnts on July 12, 2019, 07:46:11 PM

Even though they finally get back to Earth after 6 Series & then immediately leave to be lost in deep space again for no reason? :P

bgmnts

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on July 12, 2019, 08:23:39 PM
Even though they finally get back to Earth after 6 Series & then immediately leave to be lost in deep space again for no reason? :P

Yeah but it was shown that they can't be trusted to use the time drive to go back to space because they will turn into amoral monsters.

Replies From View

Edit:  never mind

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 12, 2019, 02:21:39 PM
If this were made during peak Red Dwarf era either lister or the cat would definitely be trying to pump the AA lady, space is lonely.

In the Dave era of Red Dwarf a woman can exist for one episode and nobody particularly minds if she dies at the end of it - just a little joke and walk off.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Replies From View on July 13, 2019, 11:00:52 AM
In the Dave era of Red Dwarf a woman can exist for one episode and nobody particularly minds if she dies at the end of it - just a little joke and walk off.

Yup, was thinking about that when the AA woman came aboard. The end of 'Entangled' which you're referring to is the worst moment in all of Red Dwarf, in terms of making the regulars (in particular Lister, who's meant to be the show's flawed but ultimately good moral compass) look like inhuman psychopaths. I understand that there were behind the scenes rewrites that led to them coming up with that awful ending, but no it's not enough of an excuse for thinking that'd work. I really think that wee bit ultimately  contributed to me completely losing interest with the Dave series for good, hence I never really bothered with XI and XII. Stupid I know, but there you have it.

Replies From View

I think that's fair enough, though I do think series 11 and 12 are far better than 10.

Replies From View

Ganymede and Titan's review:  https://www.ganymede.tv/2019/07/stellar-rescue-review/

In which there is a link to a supplementary radio advert:  https://mobile.twitter.com/TORDFC/status/1145653368544727040

Mister Six

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 12, 2019, 01:17:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Pu-ebXh2M

What made them fall out?

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on July 13, 2019, 12:42:18 PM
What made them fall out?

The only thing on record is that Rob didn't want to spend his whole life working on only Red Dwarf.

alan nagsworth

St_Eddie

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 13, 2019, 11:19:45 AM
Yup, was thinking about that when the AA woman came aboard. The end of 'Entangled' which you're referring to is the worst moment in all of Red Dwarf, in terms of making the regulars (in particular Lister, who's meant to be the show's flawed but ultimately good moral compass) look like inhuman psychopaths.

I'm not sure which is worst; that scene or the ending of 'Dear Dave'.  "What an absolute slag!"

Quote from: Replies From View on July 13, 2019, 11:45:48 AM
I think that's fair enough, though I do think series 11 and 12 are far better than 10.

Indeed.  There's a few dud episodes but on the whole, series XI and XII and a big step up from series X.

Quote from: Replies From View on July 13, 2019, 12:45:02 PM
The only thing on record is that Rob didn't want to spend his whole life working on only Red Dwarf.

Yep.  Doug Naylor has always maintained that they didn't fall out.  Rob Grant just didn't want to work on the show anymore.

Quote from: Rob Grant"Enough's enough; I want more than just Red Dwarf on my tombstone."

Genuine quote, by the way.

DrGreggles

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 13, 2019, 02:09:14 PM
Doug Naylor has always maintained that they didn't fall out.  Rob Grant just didn't want to work on the show anymore.

I always thought it was for professional reasons too, rather than personal ones.
Rob was involved with the s1-6 DVDs after he'd left, so there couldn't have been any/much animosity between him and Doug.
I guess people just want there to be juicy gossip.

Out of interest, has anyone seen Rob's stand-up?

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 13, 2019, 03:09:25 PM
Rob was involved with the s1-6 DVDs after he'd left

I don't think he was involved with those.  He contributed to the Bodysnatcher set though.

magval

Ed'll know for sure but didn't he appear in some of the Easter Egg animations talking with Ed Bye and Doug Naylor on the earlier sets? I know he wasn't involved in the commentaries or documentaries though.

Replies From View

Quote from: magval on July 14, 2019, 09:51:38 AM
Ed'll know for sure but didn't he appear in some of the Easter Egg animations talking with Ed Bye and Doug Naylor on the earlier sets? I know he wasn't involved in the commentaries or documentaries though.

There was a VHS set called 'Six of the Best' released in 1997, containing an episode from each of the first six series (Future Echoes, Queeg, Polymorph, Dimension Jump, Back To Reality and Gunmen of the Apocalypse).  A bonus CD was provided with that release containing interviews with Ed Bye, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor, talking about each of the episodes in that set, as well as the origins of the show and other nuggets.

The 'animations' on the DVDs were just the audio from that CD accompanied by a barely moving cartoony image of Bye, Grant and Naylor.

So that contribution from Grant was from 1997; he had no active involvement in the DVDs prior to the Bodysnatcher Collection.

DrGreggles

Spiny Norman

Quote from: Replies From View on July 13, 2019, 12:45:02 PM
Yeah, and he needed time to write "Dark ages" (1999) as well, to prove he wasn't a one trick pony...

Replies From View

He also stopped pulling his weight on The 10%ers, leaving Doug to do all the rewrites on his episodes.  Just lost some of his motivation to be involved in the Grant Naylor partnership I guess.  These things don't always need definitive singular reasons for occurring.  He always strikes me as a bit shy and possibly depressed as well, which could well be a reason in itself for retreating from this kind of work.