Author Topic: Akira - Katsuhiro Otomo  (Read 173 times)

Akira - Katsuhiro Otomo
« on: July 12, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »

Having watched the anime movie half a dozen times, I'd always been tempted by the manga but overwhelmed by the prospect of its size. I also found the movie relatively confusing in some respects and while I expected the manga to fill in numerous blanks, I also didn't want to spoil the mystique, in a way.

Anyway, it turns out that the movie covers perhaps only 20% of the manga and while it's certainly a wonderful concise but spectacular version of the story, there's a lot of fantastic material which is omitted due to time and space constraints. It's actually remarkable that it was even attempted now that I know what the manga contains and how much. It gives me an even greater appreciation of the movie.

That said, the manga is absolutely a masterpiece and up there with any that I've read. I made a good start with it about nine months ago and put it aside largely because I didn't want to rush through it. I've read in little chunks ever since but ploughed through the final third recently in a few sessions.

It is still confusing at times, there are several different factions and plenty of major characters to keep up with who barely featured in the film, but it does a good job of summarising the relevant plot and character points at the start of each volume so it's easier to follow than, say, The Wire. The artwork is colossal. Genuinely staggering in detail and impact and scope.

If you've never read it or watched the movie, I would recommend both. If you've watched the movie and thought nahhh, I'm telling you to reconsider. It's a complete triumph.

Re: Akira - Katsuhiro Otomo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 03:14:14 PM »
I've always wanted to read the manga but always found it prohibitively expensive and I don't really want to read it online. I haven't seen the film since I was a kid but I loved it then and presumably would now.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »
I've always wanted to read the manga but always found it prohibitively expensive and I don't really want to read it online.

PRO TIP: get a library card. I've been using my library to order in big comic trades that are too expensive for me to buy outright.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 07:36:38 PM »
Mentioned this in the comics thread, that I had started it, and yeah it's YUGE. Kinda stopped early on and I really want to get back into it.

Got the 35th anniversary boxset. All six volumes, hardback, and a bonus art book. Lovely set. Heavy as fuck, too.

The anime movie was a big deal for me in the 90s. My first anime and a film that changed my perception of what animation could be, even as a child (I'd have been about 12 when I saw it subtitled on BBC2). I can't stand most modern anime* but 80s and 90s stuff is still my thing from time to time. Rewatched Neon Genesis Evangelion on Netflix, too. I need to do a thread in Picture Box about that, actually.

The Akira Manga is daunting in its sheer size, but I do like what little I've read. Gonna restart this weekend.

* - Recent Exceptions being Devilman Crybaby, Garo and Ultraman, but the latter two don't count being spinoffs from tokusatsu shows.