Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me Wii games

Started by studpuppet, July 12, 2019, 02:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Bought a Wii off a guy down the road for £20. It has homebrew installed with a 32GB card and eight emulators.

I know fuck all about modern games though, and I'm after games that play/look best on the Wii.  Inexplicably, I value your collective judgement more than those '25 Best Wii Games' articles online, so don't let me down...

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 are two of the best platform games ever made.

Metroid Prime Trilogy. I started with 3 but a lot of people think the first is the best.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are both very good Zelda games, even if they start slowly.

Excite Truck is one of my favourite arcade racing games ever. Once you get the hang of the boosting and jumping, it's amazing fun.

WarioWare Smooth Moves is great fun, especially as a post-pub thing.

Mario Kart Wii is decent.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a good 2D Mario game.

Not many deep cut suggestions for you here. The big games really were the first party stuff and they're pretty much all brilliant.

madhair60

Excite Truck - still exhilarating arcade racer

Super Mario Galaxy, then the 2nd one if you like it and want more - phenomenally polished platforming

Ghost Squad - endlessly replayable light gun game

House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return - endlessly replayable light gun games

Kirby's Epic Yarn - sweet co-op platformer, really easy but really hard to 100%

Kirby's Adventure Wii - brilliant co-op platformer, again easy but exciting as fuck imo

Resident Evil 4 - 10/10 version of 10/10 game

Zack & Wiki - genius puzzle solving adventure

Metroid Prime Trilogy - It's Metroid Prime with better controls

Epic Mickey - janky flawed as fuck platformer with muddy graphics but tons and tons of love and soul poured into it

Donkey Kong Country Returns - challenging sidescroller, loads to do, still looks nice

Boom Blox - joyous multiplayer game. Don't bother with the sequel, Bash Party

New Super Mario Bros Wii - some people dislike this series and I can see why, but I had enormous fun playing this with a mate

The Wii kicked fucking arse

Sebastian Cobb

Resident Evil 4
No More Heroes
Okami

Presumably it also does Gamecube games, definitely check out Eternal Darkness.

madhair60

Oh and Mario Strikers Charged which is a game I can put on with mates and all of us are yelling at the top of our voices within minutes

Holy shit I'm total ebola tier. How could I forget Resi 4?

Best version by miles of one of the best games ever.

Ghost Squad is also great, too. Nice one, madhair60.

Sin Agog

The Wii Monster Hunter's about as good as any other if you've got the time.  Most of the others have been mentioned, but Xenoblade 1's on there and pricey, but if you can downsteal it, do so.  De Blob's kinda zen and nice to switch off to for long stretches (giant levels with no saves until the end).

madhair60

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - a game that gets a lot of shit for reasons I can't understand, it's a beautiful saga and I never had any problem with the motion controls, personally. A lot of people say it's slow going but I found it pretty snappy in a way that Zelda games often aren't.

Dead Space Extraction - Remarkable light gun game that transplants the Dead Space style into a rail shooter really well.

No More Heroes/NMH 2 - Janky. Repetitive. Stupid. Charming as absolute fuck. Stylish beyond description. Awful, wonderful games.

New Play Control! Pikmin - Wonderful action RTS. You'll never forget it. The sequel is supposed to be good too but I don't have it.

New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Brilliant 2D platformer ported over from Gamecube - focus on score attack. Still looks striking.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Did you like PoP on PS2? Well this is another one of those that seemingly nobody has played. Kicks the shit out of the Xbox 360/PS3 version and a totally different game.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - batshit fucking insane game worth playing just to boggle at.

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - beautiful if a little dumbed down 2D platformer. Graphics will impress, gameplay will entertain but never thrill.

studpuppet

Thanks all - Wii games are dirt cheap on eBay aren't they?

Resident Evil - £4 (that was the only one I'd bought prior to coming here)
Excite Truck - £2.83

Quote from: madhair60 on July 12, 2019, 03:22:41 PM
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Did you like PoP on PS2? Well this is another one of those that seemingly nobody has played. Kicks the shit out of the Xbox 360/PS3 version and a totally different game.

I liked PoP on my Macintosh IIsi back in 1995 - is that similar..?

No point buying 'em if it's modded. Get yourself a cheap USB hard drive and get them ISO's downloaded.

Also: Don't forget that all but the very latest Wii's play GameCube games.

studpuppet

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 12, 2019, 03:36:07 PM
No point buying 'em if it's modded. Get yourself a cheap USB hard drive and get them ISO's downloaded.

Will do, but probably for the 18+ games - I have but some to show my children what an upstanding pillar of the community their dad is.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 12, 2019, 03:07:30 PM
Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 are two of the best platform games ever made.

Potentially the first opinion you've had that makes any sense. They're great.

Mariokart Wii and Resi 4 (as mentioned above) are class.

Can you get Katamari on the Wii? Get that if you can.

Get wii sports as well, it's good for a bit of silliness.

studpuppet

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 12, 2019, 03:36:07 PM
Get yourself a cheap USB hard drive and get them ISO's downloaded.

Quick side question - what format does this have to be? FAT32?

It used to need a Wii-specific WBFS format, but I don't know if the homebrew boffins have changed that in the 10 years since I set mine up.

Bazooka

The lads above have typed out most of the best, a true gem, and I know my JRPG's is The Last Story, very very good, but will probably set you back more than the console, again Xenoblade is fucking top notch, but you will have to go see your bank manager.

Bazooka

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 12, 2019, 03:11:25 PM
Resident Evil 4
No More Heroes
Okami

Presumably it also does Gamecube games, definitely check out Eternal Darkness.

Yes its backwards compatible, so Charlie's Angels is essential.

Bazooka

The Little Kings Story, I grabbed this about 10 years after I had bought the Wii on release date, now it looks like a game a bewildered dad would buy his young kids because it simply looks cute. But let me tell you this is a great and charming little tactical, Age of Empires spliced with Dragon Quest RPG humour game, really good fun.

Ferris

Back compatible = get TimeSplitters 2 and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 for GameCube.

Kelvin

Deadly Creatures was good. A decent platformer, action adventure game where you alternate between levels where you control a tarantula and ones where you control a scorpion, as they traverse an area where Billy Bob Thornton is committing a murder. I don't remember all the details, but I think you unlocked moves and attacks as you went, and the narrative unravelled in the background and through audio as you moved through the terrain.

SavageHedgehog

Not everyone will agree with me on this I'm guessing, but IMO Sonic Colours is an actual good 3D Sonic game, and a Wiisclusive.

de Blob is great fun, though very reliant on the Wii remote and nunchucks, which is a drawback for lots of people. Never played the sequel.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 12, 2019, 03:22:41 PM
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - beautiful if a little dumbed down 2D platformer. Graphics will impress, gameplay will entertain but never thrill.

Was going to mention this, although it seems I like it a lot more than you. Very overlooked game.

Possibly worth mentioning, in case you don't know, that the Wii is backwards compatible with the Gamecube. (Just saw this was implied a couple of posts up)

If you use Nintendont, you can load GameCube ISO's from an SD card or hard disk. But wait! You can also save games to an SD card instead of using a GameCube memory card and you can use the Remote+Nunchuk, classic controller or any HID-compliant USB controller instead of a GameCube comtroller.

Sin Agog

What was that game where you could become a spider and scorpion and other diminutive killers?  I remember that being quite good.

Deadly Killers!

In many ways, the Wii represented my happiest times playing games. I was free. I was in China. I was running my own language school with my best mate. I lived in a colossal house for almost nothing. I had a soundsystem that would destroy Notting Hill for some reason (it was just already in the house). I owned every game via pirate copy from the computer market. Really gorgeous and wonderful girlfriend who doted on me for some reason. Shame she'll didn't like AnCo. I was just getting back into consoles after not playing anything since about 1998. Zhajiang mian for breakfast, Excite Truck in my pants, teach a couple of classes, re gan mian for lunch, go buy some Wii games or hang out with some mates and go the arcade or chatting up girls at the mall or whatever, go drink some tea and chain smoke on the riverfront, catch up with some pals and go for some beers and all back to mine for WarioWare or Wii Sports before street BBQ at midnight followed by a full body massage and sleep over at the massage place because we couldn't be bothered going home. The Wii was always there in the background. A truly magnificent time and my favourite console ever in terms of the feeling I have towards it.

Kelvin

Here's some footage of that Dangerous Creatures game. It's actually aged much better than I expected, graphically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jZiDvN2R8g

edit: actually that's an emulator playing it, so it might not look that sharp on wii.

studpuppet

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 13, 2019, 11:36:27 AM
In many ways, the Wii represented my happiest times playing games. I was free. I was in China. I was running my own language school with my best mate. I lived in a colossal house for almost nothing. I had a soundsystem that would destroy Notting Hill for some reason (it was just already in the house). I owned every game via pirate copy from the computer market. Really gorgeous and wonderful girlfriend who doted on me for some reason. Shame she'll didn't like AnCo. I was just getting back into consoles after not playing anything since about 1998. Zhajiang mian for breakfast, Excite Truck in my pants, teach a couple of classes, re gan mian for lunch, go buy some Wii games or hang out with some mates and go the arcade or chatting up girls at the mall or whatever, go drink some tea and chain smoke on the riverfront, catch up with some pals and go for some beers and all back to mine for WarioWare or Wii Sports before street BBQ at midnight followed by a full body massage and sleep over at the massage place because we couldn't be bothered going home. The Wii was always there in the background. A truly magnificent time and my favourite console ever in terms of the feeling I have towards it.

I didn't come here for a lecture on Communism.

Sebastian Cobb

I've got a wii I modded years ago (using the Zelda horse name jailbreak) with the modded home screen and stuff.

I know at the time you needed to not install firmware updates as they could un-break it or brick them. So if I were to use it again, how would I go about safely getting the firmware up to the latest version and updating the homebrew etc.

I got my old chipped China-bought Jap Wii going again today. God, I fucked it up over the years, can't believe it still works. It's packed full of stupid duplicated channels and it's semi bricked so you can't get into the settings and it freezes on a green screen unless you get the settings just right before launching a game off the massive SD card. I ordered a Wii to HDMI converter off Amazon and it looks fucking great. It's a bit blurry of course but it looks better than the 360 in some respects!

Gonna play some Mazza Gazza tonight and have a big wazza.

Jerzy Bondov

The Wii PES game where you used the pointer to send the football players around the football pitch was really good

Yeah, PES on Wii is probably the most inventive football game since about 1993. The concept is genius and the execution is great, you just need to rethink a lot about how football games are played in order to get into it. I remember playing a few games with my mate because he knew how to play, it was kind of a pointless. He really needed to borrow the Wii for a couple of days get the hang of it. A shame, really, because it had the potential to be the best football game ever. Really.

I've been working my way through Galaxy but also trying out a few other recommendations in the thread, and replaying some of my old faves. Resi 4 is so so much better on the Wii than any other version. I recently got it on the Switch and the single stick control feels so clunky and restrictive these days, I just can't get into it. Then I picked up the Wii version, and it felt second nature and amazing, and I realised that I've never really played it much elsewhere. I did actually complete the GC version just before the Wii one came out but it's been superceded completely in my muscle memory.

Wish I could get GC games going, though. I really want to play Sunshine, F-Zero GX and Wave Race because I only scratched the surface back in the day and they were all in Jap gibberish. Sunshine especially has been calling me for fifteen years. I'm gonna tinker today until I crack it.

Endless Ocean: Blue World seems really nice for a chilled Sunday evening. I played the original way back when but it was in Japanese and seemed a bit more simplistic, from memory. This one was produced by Iwata, amazingly enough, and it's a very heartwarming, wholesome thing so far. Beautiful music, gorgeous graphics above the water and the marine life stuff is quite pretty, too. It's a diving walking sim, if you get what I'm saying. Very tranquil but following a story with little missions, all while observing and recording the sealife you encounter. Just returned a whale calf to its mum. Very sweet.

Not an absolute banger but if the description appeals, it's certainly something different.