Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best ever key change

Started by Johnny Textface, July 12, 2019, 09:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

My mate reckons it's Johnny Cash 'The Night Hank Williams came to town'(but it has to be off the best of album apparently).

I've not listened to it yet as I'm in the pub.

No eurovision allowed.

Absorb the anus burn

Johnny Textface

PlanktonSideburns

Incredible one on gate of japanesia by water melon group, I imagine that's how a football fan feels when a particularly great Goal happens

non capisco

'Rocket From A Bottle' by XTC because it changes down, not up like you expected.

Oooh XTC again is it non capisco? You like them, don't you? You should bring them over for dinner SHUT UP MUM.

Sin Agog

Just totally in love with that moment in Thinking Fellers' Father when it goes from being an ominous Chairs Missing Wire-like thing to a joyous banjo barnstormer.

non capisco

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 13, 2019, 12:14:13 AM
Just totally in love with that moment in Thinking Fellers' Father when it goes from being an ominous Chairs Missing Wire-like thing to a joyous banjo barnstormer.

I have never heard this song before and its fucking excellent, cheers!

THAT'S the CaB I know and love!

Inspector Norse

A couple that spring to mind:

Buzzcocks' 'I Don't Mind'
Prefab Sprout's 'Faron Young'

There are probably others but I've not had enough coffee to think of them.

DrGreggles

NoSleep

The one two in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IySDMk2iFT8

At the point where the lyrics say "just another key change." (actually one for each word)

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Up the Junction by Squeeze has a nice one cause they work the chords into the change quite well.

pupshaw

Just about every track on Pet Sounds has a key change, and not one of them is obvious or cliched.

Wouldn't It Be Nice starts with a key change, has a key change going into the middle section, and
a marvellous return change coming out again.

God Only Knows seems to teeter between two keys, you never quite know which key it is in, and
the middle section again has a brilliant subtle change and when the vocal comes back in...

jonno

EW&F's 'After the love has gone' is full of them but the best is surely where the chorus gets ratcheted up another 4th just when you think it's settled into a key.

NoSleep

Gong's Isle of Everywhere changes key every 8 bars in a cycle of G, Bb, C#, E and on to G again. Lovely feel of constantly rising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9knIlUc5Cs

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Cardiacs have good form for songs that continue to modulate through the course of the song about 10 or so times, Dirty Boy and In a City Lining spring to mind.

ajsmith2

Quote from: NoSleep on July 13, 2019, 09:26:46 AM
The one two in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IySDMk2iFT8

At the point where the lyrics say "just another key change." (actually one for each word)

Just wanted to mention how I've always thought it neat how the title of this track is a spoonerism of 'A Certain Kind' off the first Soft Machine album.

Brundle-Fly

Sowing The Seeds Of Love by TTF has more key changes than Elizabeth Taylor's front door.

Jockice

The one in the 12'' version of That Petrol Emotion's Genius Move.

studpuppet

"How strange the change from major to minor..."

jake thunder

Be aware that there's a difference between a key change and a modulation. Not my job to educate you though.

Best key change is bonjovi living on a prayer. 3 semitones.

kngen

No idea if this is a key change, a modulation or anything, but I get a profound physical reaction - pretty much the same feeling as the rushes I would get when coming up on ecstasy (when I did that sort of thing) -  at 10.50 to 11.05 in Steve Reich's 8 Lines (Octet version). I don't have the technical nous to know what he's up to there, but - by Christ - I feel it. Truly transcendental.

NoSleep

Sounds like he changes mode while sticking to the same notes. The bass (which determine key more than anything else) disappears in preparation for the the change. Moves from a key centre of Eb (Dorian mode) to one of Bb (Aeolian mode or minor mode). It's more like a chord change in the same key than some of the key changes others have described so far, which are like sharp corners turned in the music.

Twed

For me it's genuinely Genesis - Invisible Touch. That's the level of dipshit I am.

TheMonk

It's when the key is lowered when Barry Gibb takes over from Babs on Guilty.
Strange magic.

bgmnts

I have no idea what a key change is meant to sound like so I don't really know.

Twed

When the music starts using a different set of notes, including ones that wouldn't normally be included in the set of notes that came before. Often the same tune is played using these new notes. I think most people would perceive this as "the music got higher/lower".

Man In The Mirror is the classic example. Notice how the key changes dramatically on the word "change".

If you put a capo on a guitar, that changes the key. You use the same shapes to play chords etc. but it's transposed higher to be in a different key.

bgmnts

Honestly cant hear much of a difference so i'll bow out of this one. I'm sure there'll be loads I like though.

NoSleep

In Eurovision many songs have a key change near the ending (like a gear change on the last run through on the chorus). Somebody must have won with a song that did this once. If you search for "eurovision key change" you will see this a thing.

Not a Eurovision entry but a typical example (happens at 2:28): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch_Fz2Np-Z4

gilbertharding

The one which kicks off the guitar solo halfway through Come on Baby (Let the Good Times Roll) by Jimi Hendrix is an absolute beast.

Which reminds me... it's probably not a key change, but the moment which kicks off the guitar solo 1 minute and 4 seconds into Kracked by Dinosaur Jr is also sublime.