Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What should I do in Birmingham?

Started by Ferris, July 13, 2019, 12:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What SHOULD you do in Birmingham?

Enjoy the silence
1 (25%)
Leave
0 (0%)
Walk across the square like it's Moscow and you're the Putinman
0 (0%)
Sit on a bench and wait for the next Party Conference
0 (0%)
Go to that worldwide buffet where you can have a pork pie and a California roll on the same fucking plate
1 (25%)
Raoul Moat
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 18, 2019, 07:47:19 PM
Is there a more insta-grave word than "instagrammable"?

We're heading in from the burbs tomorrow, library/art gallery and to buy Mrs Ferris new shoes in the bullring. Will post snaps if I take any nice ones.

Thanks all!

Have fun, and if you fall foul of the law and end up in our clink do say hi!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Timeless network of canals, remember the old Plioscene canals they had there, in the old days? The old days of Birmingham. The Plioscene canal network they had. Tunnelled out in appalling conditions by the old teams of scaphopods that came over here. The old canal network.

Aye they were good days them, timeless. Days are continuing.

alan nagsworth

Days are like canals really. You keep going down them thinking they'll never end and then all of a sudden they do. And much like days, canals are also filled to the brim with rat shit and dog eggs and people floating down them living more wholesome lives than you are. Fuck canals and fuck Birmingham.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 13, 2019, 12:16:45 AM
I'm out of touch. A spent force. Past it, Birmingham-wise.

You are in some ways in for a treat as the city centre has really change even over the last 3 years.  However not sure about how infant friendly it all is.  Here is a bit of inside knowledge for you and the kiddies jump in a taxi and ask them to take you to the Birmingham wildlife conservation centre (pershore road) it is about 5 minutes away from the city centre and it will entertain the little ones for a good few hours you could then go round the corner to the Midlands Art Centre (roughly behind the nature reserve) and have something to eat in child friendly environment (they do a load of things for kids so have a look online).

Parks like Cannonhill (outside the MAC) and Kings Heath are nice the latter also has a tea room.

In town the Birmingham Muesum and Art Gallieres are good fun and they have recently really improved their history of Birmingham exhibition.  And yep the Sea life centr but you can also take them on a boat ride to the mailbox/Sherborne  wharf would be a short but fun thing to do.

There are a shed load of new bars and eateries (though not sure whether the bars are any use) adding to Shoulders previous list:

The Alchemist
The Botanist
The Old Contemptibles
The Pig and Tail (a bit of trek in the Jewellry quarter but makes its own pork scratchings fresh on site - it's a bit of a foody place would be child friendly too)
The Pint Shop
Lost and Found
Purity Bar
The Canal House (I'd say child friendly too)
Head of Steam
Nocturnal Animals

Foodwise all child friendly

Rudys (pizza)
Franco Manco (more pizza)
Sushi Passion (actually really good sushi in Bham)
The Meat Shack
Henry's
Obviously all the curries you can eat

There is loads mate and you'll notice a ridiculous amount of building work going on still.

alan nagsworth

Ferris

Right, heading in now. Hopefully we avoid those ethnic rape gangs they have now. Never had them in my day, but will keep an eye out for anything that maybe a rape gang and avoid it.

Next stop - bullring!

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on July 18, 2019, 11:03:53 PM
Any child friendly boozers?

There are four Wetherspoons in the city centre (five if you count Lloyds no.1, which I don't), only one of which is a full-time Murderspoons (The Square Peg), and one part-time (weekends, The Briar Rose). The other two are better for your health and the one Broad st., (The Figure of 8) even has a massive beer garden with wasps for the kiddies to play with while you drink. The other one, (The Golden Something), houses the exact border between the Chinese quarter and the Gay Village, and you can have your photo taken standing with a foot on either side of it like the Greenwich time line.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 19, 2019, 12:28:00 PM
Right, heading in now. Hopefully we avoid those ethnic rape gangs they have now. Never had them in my day, but will keep an eye out for anything that maybe a rape gang and avoid it.

Next stop - bullring!

If any CaBbers see me in my Jays cap pushing a tiny baby around, come and say hello stay at least 30 yards at all times.

Ferris

Didn't manage to get out of the fucking bullring. Rainy, Ferris Jr tired, me old mam wanted to go and look at boring shops, afternoon wasted.

Saw Tom Watson in New New Street but he was gone before I could tell him what I thought of him. Disappointment, overall. The true Birmingham experience.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 19, 2019, 06:34:56 PM
Saw Tom Watson in New New Street but he was gone before I could tell him what I thought of him.

I've lived here for 15 years and have never randomly seen anyone famous or noteable (unless you count Goldie). Was he lost?

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on July 19, 2019, 07:03:56 PM
I've lived here for 15 years and have never randomly seen anyone famous or noteable (unless you count Goldie). Was he lost?

Visiting his constituency I suppose? Forgot he was in the midlands. We're going back to the library/gallery on Sunday, and I've received promises that no one is going shopping because shopping is fucking boring.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 19, 2019, 07:56:15 PM
Visiting his constituency I suppose?

Aha, his constituency is West Brom, explains why he was in New st. Bet he doesn't set foot on actual Birmingham soil if he can avoid it.

weekender

As a Birmingham resident, I find that walking in the middle of the road in the town centre is much safer than walking on the pavement.

You need a little bit of local knowledge, like knowing where the bus stops are, but once that's sorted it's fairly easy.

907 pulling over to the 907 stop?

Fine, I can walk in the middle of the road then.

Not sure how this helps with the tourist attractions, but it does amuse me every day when I just walk past twats bumping into each other on the pavement and stride down the middle of a road.

hummingofevil

Having just returned from another lovely/mad Supersonic weekend I can report back that Brum once again did not fail to be a rather lovely place to spend a few days.

I do however, have to comment on how utterly lovely all the University area is and specifically I've kept up my record of eating something new and truely amazing on each trip. Mr Egg Chinese take away. Oh my lord. One in Sellyoak and one in town. Order the black rice wrap in the one in town and watch them make it! Absolute food heaven. Genuinely one of niceset tasting things I've ever eaten.

Ferris

Me and Mrs Ferris are off to town today for our anniversary. Whole day without Ferris Jr! First one since he was born. I mean, I've been up with him since 4.45am but you get my point.

We have lunch reservations at Adam's, the Michelin star place that everyone was excited about and kept recommending, then we're going to wander about in Victoria square. I want to go to the Gas Hall because I haven't been since I was tiny. I'd also like to look at the view from the new library per Icehaven a few pages back.

I'd like to look at the rubble from the old library as well. Used to drink in the wetherspoons in the basement of the place with a buddy while our girlfriends at the time went to the library. Will go to pay my respects to an impressively shit pub.

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 22, 2019, 10:53:01 PM
Mr Egg Chinese take away. Oh my lord. One in Sellyoak and one in town. Order the black rice wrap in the one in town and watch them make it! Absolute food heaven. Genuinely one of niceset tasting things I've ever eaten.

This sounds dead good.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 23, 2019, 05:56:49 AM
Me and Mrs Ferris are off to town today for our anniversary. Whole day without Ferris Jr! First one since he was born. I mean, I've been up with him since 4.45am but you get my point.

We have lunch reservations at Adam's, the Michelin star place that everyone was excited about and kept recommending, then we're going to wander about in Victoria square. I want to go to the Gas Hall because I haven't been since I was tiny. I'd also like to look at the view from the new library per Icehaven a few pages back.

I'd like to look at the rubble from the old library as well. Used to drink in the wetherspoons in the basement of the place with a buddy while our girlfriends at the time went to the library. Will go to pay my respects to an impressively shit pub.

This sounds dead good.

One of only 2 Spoonses I've ever known to close down. I worked in the old library for a bit and there was a staff lounge on a balcony literally over it in that weird open air roof thing they had going on, so I used to sit there at lunchtime envying people's pints and trying to drop things in them. Not much rubble left I don't think, the shiny new buidling they're throwing up there is well under way. Enjoy the new library though! Go right to the top to the viewing platform/Shakespeare memorial room if you can too, although it will be hot as all hell in there today.
There's a Black Sabbath/general Brum metal exhibition on in the Gas Hall at the moment, think it's a few quid to go in.

paruses

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 23, 2019, 05:56:49 AM
[...] We have lunch reservations at Adam's, the Michelin star place that everyone was excited about and kept recommending[...]

Let us know what Adams is like. I went a long time ago when it was still on Newhall Street and really enjoyed it. It seems a very under-the-radar place but then I've not been resident in Birmingham for a few years now so it might be all that anyone ever talks about for all I know. Would definitely consider a return trip if it's kept up its quality (and I find a lot of spare money).

Icehaven

Quote from: paruses on July 23, 2019, 10:12:13 AM
Let us know what Adams is like. I went a long time ago when it was still on Newhall Street and really enjoyed it. It seems a very under-the-radar place but then I've not been resident in Birmingham for a few years now so it might be all that anyone ever talks about for all I know. Would definitely consider a return trip if it's kept up its quality (and I find a lot of spare money).

I've lived here for 15 years and I've never heard of it, but then my idea of fine dining is McDonalds Signature Collection.

pigamus

If you told me you were going to Adams I'd assume you were buying a pushchair. Showing my age there.

Ferris

The food and service was excellent. They have a set 3 course menu on Tuesday lunchtime which is 40 quid a head. We got a table yesterday, no hassle. With drinks and service, the whole lot was 140gbp (vs 95gbp each for the tasting menu before wine/tax/tip).

It was very good, recommend.

Having a pint in the botanist now to escape the sun. It's nice, but could be anywhere.

paruses

Thanks. That's affordable for me to go in on my now increasingly frequent trips back. Glad you enjoyed.

Ferris

Also had a look in the museum (nice), and the viewing bit at the top of the library (nice). Shakespeare room is a bit odd, but the space age elevators/escalators to the top are fun.

Not even a blue plaque for the location of the former wetherspoons in the old library (sadly no longer with us). Had a drive through the jewellery quarter on the way home and it all looks very agreeable. I understand a lot of Aston and Fiveways is being rebuilt as well which is probably a good idea.

All in all, it was nice. Birmingham - not too bad these days.

TrenterPercenter

Adams is a well known foodie haunt.  I've not actually been - though I'm sure I was at another place opened by the same people the other day.  I believe it is still meant to be great.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 23, 2019, 04:08:11 PM
Having a pint in the botanist now to escape the sun. It's nice, but could be anywhere.

Yeah some of these new places are your standard fayre for that kind of thing.  I tend to avoid them tbh

Ferris

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 24, 2019, 03:38:57 PM
Yeah some of these new places are your standard fayre for that kind of thing.  I tend to avoid them tbh

Someone recommended it upthread and I recognized the name when I saw it in the street. It looked shady and (crucially) not 32c and sunny, so we ducked in.

It could have been back in Toronto, all "reclaimed" wood furniture, a pseudo-breezy vibe, and silly cocktails that were a bit expensive. It was nice though, I don't want to give the impression that it wasn't.