Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:11:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Underground metro style train systems

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 13, 2019, 12:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 17, 2019, 07:04:05 PM
that is magnificent.

The ceiling vaults are about 60ft high, and every station is like this.

I took these at different stations. Look, there's some guy with a mop just doing his normal routine oblivious to the dystopian sci-fi nightmare he works in.

Bottom one has the red lighting I mentioned in my first post. You can see the front end of the train is sort of red. It's dark. It's mad.

a duncandisorderly

& this is in DC? so I've mebbes seen this in a flick & thought "that's a bit over-the-top, that lighting.." not knowing that that's how it is? well, now I'll have to go there one day.

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 17, 2019, 07:24:05 PM
& this is in DC? so I've mebbes seen this in a flick & thought "that's a bit over-the-top, that lighting.." not knowing that that's how it is? well, now I'll have to go there one day.

Yup, those were just taken on my phone camera. Impossible to take a bad photo of them because the lighting is so sort of... there. Worth a look. We really liked the city (compact, walkable, lots to see, excellent food and booze) but we are avoiding going back until the current gang in the executive wing are booted out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Budapest M4 line has some stunners

You couldn't find a bigger stylistic contrast between subway and city either, than this one.

buzby

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 16, 2019, 02:53:14 PM
Would it be better to try to chill the air in the tunnels and use the piston effect of the trains to distribute it?
to do that you either have to chill the air at the surface and force it down to the deep-level tunnels (where it will be heated up by the train brakes and the clay surrounding the tunnels), or fir air conditioning systems underground which would need to be connected to large heat exchanger plants  a couple of hundred feet away on the surface (otherwise they would be dumping heat back into the tunnels), both of which would not be very efficient and use a lot of energy (a certain proportion of the energy use would come from inadvertently taking heat out of the clay that surrounds the tunnels).

mothman

My wife's going to Budapest this weekend, any stations you can recommend, Shoulders?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: mothman on July 17, 2019, 10:24:15 PM
My wife's going to Budapest this weekend, any stations you can recommend, Shoulders?

Those are the central stations on the M4, Green line.

The yellow line is the original Austrian one, a heritage line with quaint signals, classical stations with ceramic tiles and tiny narrow tunnels close to street level. There are rules on the carriages about the quantity of saplings and branches you can enter the train with and how they must be packaged and stowed.