Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:17:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Shaming

Started by The Boston Crab, July 13, 2019, 11:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll go first cos I started the thread.

1.  I only completed Final Fantasy VII for the first time this week, despite it being one of my favourite games ever. On the PS1, I had a save at Demon's Gate that I couldn't get past and couldn't go anywhere else to level up (I think) and so I had to start again. Then I lost another twenty hour save where I grinded it out to make sure I'd get past Demon's Gate but the memory card failed. I played some late game stuff on my bro's save so I'd been in the Highwind and taken on Weapons and done some Chocobo breeding but nothing to progress the story or see it through because it wasn't my save. Just finished it on the Switch a few days ago. Didn't want to tell anyone. Remarkably, it was all fucking amazing and never slumped. The only stuff which is a bit crap now is the mini game stuff. Anyway, my gamin shamin is that I only just finished FF7.

And you?

bgmnts

I've barely gotten past the prologue of FFVII.

popcorn

I will shame anyone who likes FPSs or "AAA" games generally but hasn't played Half-Life 2. I've met a few people like this and it shocks me. It is nothing but wilful, embarrassing ignorance, like saying you love action movies about robots but have never seen Terminator.

Quote from: bgmnts on July 13, 2019, 02:23:36 PM
I've barely gotten past the prologue of FFVII.

I've attempted to play FFVII several times since it was released. About 7 years ago I made my best ever effort, something like two or three hours in, before abandoning it for the final time. It's probably my most hated game of all time, which is one of those unfair things based on the disproportionate amount of love it gets. I hate how everyone loves it so much.

bgmnts

Get in son!

Are you the one who hates Resident Evil as well because he's shit at it?

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on July 13, 2019, 02:37:12 PM
I will shame anyone who likes FPSs or "AAA" games generally but hasn't played Half-Life 2. I've met a few people like this and it shocks me. It is nothing but wilful, embarrassing ignorance, like saying you love action movies about robots but have never seen Terminator.

The Terminator WISHES that it were I, Robot with Will Smith.

Quote from: popcorn on July 13, 2019, 02:37:12 PM
I've attempted to play FFVII several times since it was released. About 7 years ago I made my best ever effort, something like two or three hours in, before abandoning it for the final time. It's probably my most hated game of all time, which is one of those unfair things based on the disproportionate amount of love it gets. I hate how everyone loves it so much.

Final Fantasy VII; the Resident Evil remake; any other classics that you hate, popcorn, you rogue maniac?

I jest, I jest.  I know what you mean.  I sometimes find myself hating something that I would otherwise be indifferent towards, based purely upon how much the general populace adores it, so I can relate.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 13, 2019, 11:17:20 AM
I'll go first cos I started the thread.

1.  I only completed Final Fantasy VII for the first time this week, despite it being one of my favourite games ever. On the PS1, I had a save at Demon's Gate that I couldn't get past and couldn't go anywhere else to level up (I think) and so I had to start again. Then I lost another twenty hour save where I grinded it out to make sure I'd get past Demon's Gate but the memory card failed. I played some late game stuff on my bro's save so I'd been in the Highwind and taken on Weapons and done some Chocobo breeding but nothing to progress the story or see it through because it wasn't my save. Just finished it on the Switch a few days ago. Didn't want to tell anyone. Remarkably, it was all fucking amazing and never slumped. The only stuff which is a bit crap now is the mini game stuff. Anyway, my gamin shamin is that I only just finished FF7.

Nowt shameful about that.  I'm glad that you finally managed to complete it.  Demon's Gate is something of game stopper.  I remember having to go back and grind to clear it on my original playthrough.

Chollis

I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games

St_Eddie

Quote from: Chollis on July 13, 2019, 02:59:59 PM
I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games

Considerably less shameful than saying "the only Final Fantasy game which I've played is Final Fantasy XIII'.

madhair60

I've never beaten any of them either. I've never got off disc one in FFVII, but I fucking love it. I also like FFIV and FFIX. I have a sort of soft spot for XIII, because it's fucking easy and I'm crap at RPGs. Fuck me, FFXIII is barely an RPG. It's just a corridor. But it's quite pretty and the music is good, so I'll play it now and then. Hate Vanille though, want her to fucking die tbh.

I'm trying to think of actual gaming shames. I think the Resi remake is just okay, I prefer the original PS1 game because I think the stiff controls fit the janky shit PS1 graphics a lot better than the Gamecube's much nicer look, which I find jarring when you've still got the same mechanics behind it all. I actually finished the REmake for the first time this year on PC (using the original controls, I'm not a fucking monster), and I just thought yeah that was alright but I wish there wasn't so much fannying around with item boxes. I get that on subsequent playthroughs you're gonna know what's what, but I didn't want to play it any more.

Oh, I've only finished Resi 2 with the infinite ammo cheat. I've been planning to go back to it and do it properly because it was very obviously excellent.

Ah, actual shame: I bought the Resi 2 Remake DLC that gives you all the big guns and infinite ammo because I thought the game was shit and I wanted to just blast everything. I paid four quid for that. That actually is a bit pathetic. Sorry.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on July 13, 2019, 03:11:28 PM
Ah, actual shame: I bought the Resi 2 Remake DLC that gives you all the big guns and infinite ammo because I thought the game was shit and I wanted to just blast everything. I paid four quid for that. That actually is a bit pathetic. Sorry.

Say seven Hail Marys and you are forgiven, my son.  May you go forth in peace.

Blinder Data

We owned a N64 but never got Mario Kart and whenever I played it at friends I thought it was rubs. Diddy Kong Racing was the racing game for me

Can't work out if this is a 'shame' of mine or just a correct opinion

Bazooka

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 14, 2019, 12:16:44 AM
We owned a N64 but never got Mario Kart and whenever I played it at friends I thought it was rubs. Diddy Kong Racing was the racing game for me

Can't work out if this is a 'shame' of mine or just a correct opinion

Its not a shame, Diddy Kong Racing is the superior game.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Bazooka on July 14, 2019, 01:33:17 AM
Its not a shame, Diddy Kong Racing is the superior game.

I agree with you Bazooka.

Sin Agog

I'm always a thousand generations behind (ps3) everyone else because of poverty.  You're all smelting swords while I'm faffing about with rocks.  I get the vibe that, just like wih movies, a lot of the inneresting mid-tier stuff has been weeded out the last few years, so it's not so bad.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think the Borderlands series is a pile of old fuck, and I really don't get the love people have for it. I base this opinion entirely upon playing the first one for a couple of hours before dismissing it.
I reckon Bioshock 2 is better than Bioshock 1.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 14, 2019, 11:04:09 AM
I think the Borderlands series is a pile of old fuck, and I really don't get the love people have for it. I base this opinion entirely upon playing the first one for a couple of hours before dismissing it.

The key to enjoying any Borderlands game is playing online co-op with 3 other people; this isn't outright stated on any of the promotional materials or anything but the games are very much designed with that in mind from the ground up. I've played through 3 of them plus a bunch of DLC missions all totalling a couple hundred hours worth of gaming and still have no desire to ever try the single-player mode.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oh. I still probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway. I think my mind was set when they introduced Claptrap, who I presume is meant to be the comedic character, but I just thought was a bellend.

druss

Still haven't completed Baldur's Gate 2, despite playing it for hundreds of hours. I've lost a couple of late saves due to computer crashes in the early 2000s and in more recent years have decided to start new saves after the Underdark a couple of times but it's not as simple as starting the game again as I always start my characters in BG1 and export them to BG2.

Hope to finish it by the time BG3 is released.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 14, 2019, 11:04:09 AM

I sort of agree. The sequel makes a lot of improvements to the gameplay and isn't as anticlimactic as the original, but I still reckon the original has a better story.

Famous Mortimer

The only Final Fantasy game I ever played was X. And I never got the hang of that bloody sport you're supposed to do.

Thursday

You only need to do it once or twice. Everyone just ignores it after that.

bgmnts

Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, is better than any Borderlands game. Gearbox need to fucking get a grip and mame a new one of those. I know Randy Pitchford is an absolute gobshite but Brothers in Arms is a good series.

Twed

Quote from: druss on July 14, 2019, 12:59:36 PM
Still haven't completed Baldur's Gate 2, despite playing it for hundreds of hours. I've lost a couple of late saves due to computer crashes in the early 2000s and in more recent years have decided to start new saves after the Underdark a couple of times but it's not as simple as starting the game again as I always start my characters in BG1 and export them to BG2.

Hope to finish it by the time BG3 is released.
Never finishing BG1 or 2 despite getting into them on five plus separate sessions over the years is a weight I will likely always carry.

peanutbutter

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 13, 2019, 11:17:20 AMOn the PS1, I had a save at Demon's Gate that I couldn't get past and couldn't go anywhere else to level up (I think) and so I had to start again.
I had this too, was there something about the temple of the ancients that made it impossible to grind within or something?

From what I recall, I didn't even know you could run away from battles in that first go, so I've no clue why I wasn't levelled up enough to be okay.

Anyways mine:
I completed about 10 games in my life, usually being caught off guard by the ending. There's something about games that makes me not give a flying fuck about the endings.

Cerys

Quote from: Thursday on July 14, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
You only need to do it once or twice. Everyone just ignores it after that.

Unless you want Wakka's Infinity +1 weapon and all of his overdrives.  By the end I was regularly beating the opposition 14-0. My brain dribbled out through my nostrils, but I have only myself to blame.

popcorn

Quote from: bgmnts on July 13, 2019, 02:39:01 PM
Get in son!

Are you the one who hates Resident Evil as well because he's shit at it?

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 13, 2019, 02:44:22 PM
Final Fantasy VII; the Resident Evil remake; any other classics that you hate, popcorn, you rogue maniac?

FF and RE were the big franchises I really hated back in the 32-bit days. I was hyped about both FF7 and RE1, and when I finally came to play them, I found them bafflingly unfun. It was all in interaction I think - stilted, unresponsive, uninviting. I grew up on action games, Doom and Mario and Sonic, so FF7 and RE1 felt so stilted in comparison. The turn-based combat in FF7 was a fucking joke. I couldn't fucking believe it. Selecting things from a fucking menu? In a fucking video game?

Then Panzer Dragoon Saga came out with its amazing, sweeping, cinematic battles that feel alive and responsive even though they're not real-time. And I was the only fucker on the planet who played it. RIP Saturn :( :( :( :(

My problems with RE1 are well documented and I stand by position that it's not a good game. It's just full of shit design. But at least I've played it now and can damn it with authority. The remake at least. Fuck the original. FF7 remains largely mysterious to me. I know Aeris dies and Sephiroth is epic or something.

I really enjoyed some of the later FF and RE games, though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 14, 2019, 11:39:43 PM
I had this too, was there something about the temple of the ancients that made it impossible to grind within or something?

I don't believe so, no.  I'm pretty sure that the save point prior to the Demon Gate boss allows you to go back and grind, should you need to.

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 14, 2019, 11:39:43 PMFrom what I recall, I didn't even know you could run away from battles in that first go, so I've no clue why I wasn't levelled up enough to be okay.

It's because it's not a well balanced boss in terms of game design.  If the player hasn't purposefully grinded up their characters prior to that point, then the chances are high that Demon Gate will obliterate them.  It's possible that Squaresoft did this on purpose, in order to artificially lengthen the game.

Thursday

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 15, 2019, 04:49:36 PM
I don't believe so, no.  I'm pretty sure that the save point prior to the Demon Gate boss allows you to go back and grind, should you need to.

Hmm, no, I also seem to remember having this issue and at a certain point you couldn't go back and grind. And Demon's gate was definitely a massive difficulty spike.

peanutbutter

You definitely can't exit the temple and I think the clock hands are fixed too so you only stay in the two rooms. I can't recall whether there were encounters or not in either of those rooms but without access to somewhere to sleep it would presumably be a really hard grind. And with access to somewhere to sleep it would be an extremely tedious grind.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thursday on July 15, 2019, 06:13:44 PM
Hmm, no, I also seem to remember having this issue and at a certain point you couldn't go back and grind. And Demon's gate was definitely a massive difficulty spike.

I've just checked.  You can go back to the Black Materia corridor to grind.

Cloud

Never got around to finishing (or getting more than a few hours into) FFXV.  Will get to it eventually