Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Shaming

Started by The Boston Crab, July 13, 2019, 11:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 27, 2019, 05:08:35 PM
I would love to do a genocide run of the Undertale community.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 29, 2019, 06:03:51 AM
I wish we still had karma on here.

Cunts.

Noonling

Can someone explain to me whats so great about Undertale? I've tried to play it twice and it's just so very boring. I got halfway through some puzzles with skeletons (both times) before I gave up.

madhair60

No, there's no point. You would never have liked it anyway, because it's popular and well-loved.

Edit: This is based on your earlier post in this thread rather than just baseless snidery.

The music is fantastic. Some of the dialogue is very touching and funny and clever. It has a lot of personality, far more than most games could dream of. I found the moment to moment gameplay pretty boring but that's not really the point. It's probably much cleverer and better than I saw by the time I ditched it (tried several times in fact).

The fans are among the worst kind of nerds going. Endlessly repeating the dialogue and doing cross-stitch skeletons and getting tattoos of Flowey and doing fan art and pin badges all that kind of stuff. They spam shmup video comments sections with how much harder the last boss of Undertale is than Touhou shmups and everyone is like mate this isn't even a Touhou game AND you're wrong AND Jaimers has loads of no miss Undertale vids, anyway. They're like the Rick and Morty or JoJo wanks of indie games. Every single one aspires to be a Twitch affiliate and do cross-stitch and make a Sans cosplay outfit but never actually wear it outside because they've got devastating social anxiety so they can only communicate through memes.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 30, 2019, 01:19:02 PM
The fans are among the worst kind of nerds going. Endlessly repeating the dialogue and doing cross-stitch skeletons and getting tattoos of Flowey and doing fan art and pin badges all that kind of stuff. They spam shmup video comments sections with how much harder the last boss of Undertale is than Touhou shmups and everyone is like mate this isn't even a Touhou game AND you're wrong AND Jaimers has loads of no miss Undertale vids, anyway. They're like the Rick and Morty or JoJo wanks of indie games. Every single one aspires to be a Twitch affiliate and do cross-stitch and make a Sans cosplay outfit but never actually wear it outside because they've got devastating social anxiety so they can only communicate through memes.

Just an onslaught of weird, mad lies. Gatekeeping cishet white cunt.

Mister Six

madhair60

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on July 30, 2019, 01:20:55 PM
Just an onslaught of weird, mad lies. Gatekeeping cishet white cunt.

That's my genuine experience, up to 'every single one aspires to be a Twitch affiliate'. After that, it's just an amalgamation of people I know.

Where's the gatekeeping there, by the way? I'm not trying to prevent anyone from playing it. I'm not saying it's not a proper game. I'm not invalidating the game, nor the people who like it. I'm just saying that there's a fair number of people who like it a lot and go on and on and on about it in quite an annoying way. I do exactly the same about my bullshit.

If the Undertale community wasn't persistently, ubiquitously annoying and obsessive, where has the reputation come from, do you imagine?

I am white, cishet and in some contexts a cunt, so I'll accept all that without question.

Noonling

Quote from: madhair60 on July 30, 2019, 01:10:00 PM
No, there's no point. You would never have liked it anyway, because it's popular and well-loved.

Edit: This is based on your earlier post in this thread rather than just baseless snidery.

I can like popular games - I liked RDR2, Skyrim, Witcher 3, and even somewhat twee things like Stardew Valley or...I dunno, other stuff like that. Undertale (from the little I played of it) just seemed to be a mix of silliness and "OMG, we're subverting a trope!!!" with gameplay that was beyond tedious. And I fully admit I didn't finish it etc but why on earth do people like the characters?

If I'm going to go full snark: Its the type of game that would fall under the "clever stuff for stupid people". The kind of game people who have only played 5 games would like. Its the Ready Player One of games - "I recognise that trope! I recognise the subversion! WOW!"

madhair60

No, it's all understandable. You have played many games and are extremely clever, so I can see why you thought the game was bad.

The strange thing is that what you're describing is categorically not the content of Undertale, so I've no idea what's happening here.

Twed

Quote from: Noonling on July 30, 2019, 04:34:23 PM
If I'm going to go full snark: Its the type of game that would fall under the "clever stuff for stupid people". The kind of game people who have only played 5 games would like. Its the Ready Player One of games - "I recognise that trope! I recognise the subversion! WOW!"
Noonling is right. The main thing about Undertale is that it's a constant stream of references to 80s/90s nerd culture, as anybody who has definitely, actually played the game will know.

madhair60

To be honest I have a piece of Undertale art framed on my wall. I am not coming at this from a place of reason.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on July 30, 2019, 04:50:10 PM
Noonling is right. The main thing about Undertale is that it's a constant stream of references to 80s/90s nerd culture, as anybody who has definitely, actually played the game will know.

I do not agree with this but I think you are doing a Bit and I'm too autistic to know.

Twed

madhair60

Well, clearly I have ruined that.

Noonling

Quote from: madhair60 on July 30, 2019, 04:47:08 PM
No, it's all understandable. You have played many games and are extremely clever, so I can see why you thought the game was bad.
Aww shucks

The strange thing is that what you're describing is categorically not the content of Undertale, so I've no idea what's happening here.

It has been over a year since I last attempted to play it, so I do accept I may be totally off. But it just seemed very eager to show off about how its subverting your expectations - my comparison to Ready Player One is because it requires being able to recognise those tropes in the first place.

I understand that it does have many choices and consequences etc (moreso than other games), and I can see how that can be engaging concept, but it doesn't make the game itself good. Again, I fully admit I probably didn't get far enough into the game to see all its effects etc. But as far as I did play it, it wasn't enjoyable. If I wanted a fourth-wall-breaking comedy game I'd go for Kingdom of Loathing/West of Loathing - while they don't have the same level of choices and consequences I feel they are actually fun to play.

Nah, they're not saying it's a list of references like RP1 but rather that Undertale is conspicuously, ostentatiously subversive and is constantly winking at the player. Some people really like that, because it makes them feel clever and they can explain it to other people. It's not necessarily funny or interesting or moving, but it's enough to hook meme world nerds.

I very rarely find fourth wall/meta stuff amusing or insightful, even in something like peak The Simpsons. It might elicit a 'heh' of recognition but - for me - it's a hollow feeling next to something funny or moving. And Undertale also does manage to be funny and moving, at times, but it also courts a certain type - the kind of person who wants to explain "the layers of a joke you probably missed" when you say you've watched Arrested Development. And I say, "great, and so how does that make it funnier?" and they just walk off and do a cross-stitch.

Edit: Oh, look. I was right. How clever.

Twed

Quote from: Noonling on July 30, 2019, 05:14:52 PM
Aww shucks

It has been over a year since I last attempted to play it, so I do accept I may be totally off. But it just seemed very eager to show off about how its subverting your expectations - my comparison to Ready Player One is because it requires being able to recognise those tropes in the first place.

What tropes? You should be able to name a few, even vaguely.

Noonling

Quote from: Twed on July 30, 2019, 05:17:31 PM
What tropes? You should be able to name a few, even vaguely.
Tropes may be the wrong word, more subversion of expectation. The idea that anyone who talks you through a tutorial area must be on your side (Flowey) and wouldn't lie. That you can talk/flirt/etc your way out of trouble and never kill anything (common in many games obviously, but not within the actual battle menu). That no game will ever know you saved and reloaded (that is one part I didn't mind, and I understand its delved into more in the game). I vaguely recall that a lot of dialogue during puzzles are a nod to similar puzzles in other games.

I'm sorry I don't remember very well, please forgive me :(

I'm also sorry if I was unkind or upset anyone here who really likes the game. It's just not to my tastes but if you do like it, that's none of my dang business.

Thursday

I mean there's aspects to the humour that are a little what might described as gamer-reddit friendly.

But it's also incredibly beautiful, heartfelt with characters with incredible warmth and depth.  So of course people on this site would hate it.

But the idea that people enjoy it while stroking their chins and going "hmm yes I get it." Just because it has a few meta jokes about gaming tropes and the like is stupid.

That's also a bit stupid because I'd actually love it if it was warmer and more heartfelt and funnier. I didn't say it's all meta shit but there's enough of that in there, as well as the (deliberately?) basic gameplay, that I wasn't inclined to carry on with it. Some of it reminds me of Granny's Garden.

The music is incredible and some of the dialogue was touching and intriguing in the first few hours. As I said, it's clearly got a lot of personality. Maybe it gets amazing by the time you finish it but I've tried half a dozen times and I just can't get through it because of all the stuff that I find a bit shit or conspicuously knowing. I actually WANT it to be beautiful and warm and funny and I accept that's what it's going for, but it doesn't hit those notes with me.

Inevitably, I'll try again and again and hopefully one day it'll click. I've bought it three frigging times so I'm prepared to give it another shot.

bgmnts

Undertale reminds me a lot of Rick and Morty.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on July 30, 2019, 07:25:30 PM
Undertale reminds me a lot of Rick and Morty.

Stupid post. Horseshit tbh

Jerzy Bondov

Undertale is for people who like Earthbound. Is that a good thing though ahhhhh

Dunno I couldn't be fucked with it because it's got shit graphix

madhair60

Blue Jam

I am currently playing/watching Quantum Break and really enjoying it. Is that a guilty pleasure? Fuck it, it's more fun than that Choose Your Own Adventure episode of Black Mirror.