Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most Influential Comic w/ Small Body of Work

Started by MortSahlFan, July 14, 2019, 07:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Got to be Bill Hicks, right?

Massively influential but with a total of only about 90 minutes of material. Dead at 32.

DrGreggles

Steven Wright?
He's said himself that it takes him about 20 years to write a full set, which is why he's only done 2 different shows in his career.

TheMonk

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 14, 2019, 07:45:02 AM
Got to be Bill Hicks, right?

Massively influential but with a total of only about 90 minutes of material. Dead at 32.
Really? For some reason I've never listened to his stuff but that's surprising. Doesn't he have a bunch of albums?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: TheMonk on July 14, 2019, 10:53:01 AM
Really? For some reason I've never listened to his stuff but that's surprising. Doesn't he have a bunch of albums?

Yeah I'd say its at least double that, he released 4 albums and was always doing new stuff.

Mister Six

A lot of the albums repeat the same material with slight variations, though. Even the four "proper ones"* that he did before it was all best ofs and officially released bootlegs.

* Dangerous, Relentless, Arizona Bay, Rant in E-Minor.

Mitch Hedberg is probably the best comic with a small body of work, but I don't know if he has been particularly influential on other comics. Then again he was the unintentional forerunner of basically all Twitter comedy.

Glebe

What about the most influential comic w/ a small body?

neveragain

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Mister Six on July 14, 2019, 03:08:43 PM
A lot of the albums repeat the same material with slight variations, though. Even the four "proper ones"* that he did before it was all best ofs and officially released bootlegs.

* Dangerous, Relentless, Arizona Bay, Rant in E-Minor.

Exactly. He'd often move material around in the set and flesh things out with a bit of crowd work, impro(v) and expand on certain aspects of the set. Maybe two hours of material, but surely not much more than that.

"I wish I could be judged on two hours of material": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEtMZh2exc

Maurice Yeatman

Some twat will mention Roy Jay after about 12 posts, I reckon.

mr. logic

Pryor only had three specials and would probably win a survey from fellow comedians as the best one ever.

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on July 14, 2019, 07:38:57 PM
Some twat will mention Roy Jay after about 12 posts, I reckon.

You'll all be doing it soon!

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on July 14, 2019, 10:17:24 PM
And after 12 posts as well - it's almost as if that was the joke.

Oh, no, I realised that was the intention, but just took the opportunity to offhandedly call you a twat ❤

Maurice Yeatman

JCR

Quote from: José on July 14, 2019, 07:06:42 PM
jerry sadowitz

Technically he's done a new hour long show at most of the last 20 Edinburgh Festivals. Just he doesn't want them released.

I would nominate Russell Kane. You can say what you want about him but Smokescreens and Castles was an incredibly influential show for a few years after.

Tokyo van Ramming

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: JCR on July 15, 2019, 12:55:11 AMI would nominate Russell Kane. You can say what you want about him but Smokescreens and Castles was an incredibly influential show for a few years after.

Haven't thought about Kane in ages until the recent news story about the shooting of a former cage-fighter who carried out a £53m robbery in 2006. "The shooting took place on a £780,000 property that the victim rented from comedian Russell Kane."
Has there really been that much money spaffed on mediocre comedians, or was Kane left £775,000 by a rich auntie?

Thoughts and prayers with the injured ne'er-do-well, obviously.

machotrouts

Our ex-landlady told us that Russell Kane was a previous tenant in our ex-flat. Apparently he broke the toilet. That's all I know about Russell Kane's living circumstances, hope it helps.

JCR

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on July 15, 2019, 01:20:09 AM
Haven't thought about Kane in ages until the recent news story about the shooting of a former cage-fighter who carried out a £53m robbery in 2006. "The shooting took place on a £780,000 property that the victim rented from comedian Russell Kane."
Has there really been that much money spaffed on mediocre comedians, or was Kane left £775,000 by a rich auntie?

Thoughts and prayers with the injured ne'er-do-well, obviously.

He got two dvd releases at what Stewart Lee said was their peak, Rhod Gilbert was apparently paid £250,000 for one, and who knows what he could command for corporate gigs. Was Kane ever at the point he played arenas? I can't remember. In any case, guessing he could afford the mortgage on that house.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: JCR on July 15, 2019, 02:03:55 AM
He got two dvd releases at what Stewart Lee said was their peak, Rhod Gilbert was apparently paid £250,000 for one, and who knows what he could command for corporate gigs. Was Kane ever at the point he played arenas? I can't remember. In any case, guessing he could afford the mortgage on that house.

Crackers innit. His house where the shooting took place is in London England, but he currently lives in Manchester England. Maybe that's just a B&B for a couple of weeks.

Rock 'n' roll.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: JCR on July 15, 2019, 12:55:11 AM
Technically he's done a new hour long show at most of the last 20 Edinburgh Festivals. Just he doesn't want them released.

I would nominate Russell Kane. You can say what you want about him but Smokescreens and Castles was an incredibly influential show for a few years after.

Why is that? Thats genuinely the first time I've heard anyone, fan or comedian, say Kane is influential.

Captain Z

Not even the most influential comedian in the Russell Group.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Captain Z on July 14, 2019, 08:21:46 PM
Mort Sahl

Mort is the most influential - he revolutionized comedy, and still the best, but he's 92 and still has a live weekly show...  Large body of work, despite the blacklisting.

Bill Hicks is probably the best choice. I also agree that Mitch was very good, short-lived, but didn't turn out a bunch of guys influenced by him.