Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Apollo Moon Landings - For All Mankind (Redux)

Started by Ambient Sheep, July 14, 2019, 07:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ersatz99

Amazed that it takes thousands of tons of propellant to reach Earth orbit and yet a relatively small explosive to get the lunar module into moon's orbit. I know its gravity is somehing like a sixth, but even so.

The in-flight flipping of the lunar module to re-attach to the command module also just seems like an idea that would get laughed off the table nevermind the later docking of the two in mid-space before their journey back home.

bgmnts

What was the luggage allowance on the Apollo flight?

mothman

Quote from: ersatz99 on July 16, 2019, 11:22:13 PM
Amazed that it takes thousands of tons of propellant to reach Earth orbit and yet a relatively small explosive to get the lunar module into moon's orbit. I know its gravity is somehing like a sixth, but even so.

The in-flight flipping of the lunar module to re-attach to the command module also just seems like an idea that would get laughed off the table nevermind the later docking of the two in mid-space before their journey back home.

Don't forget lack of atmosphere resistance.

An early concept had the LEM being swung round in front using a boom. Presumably they were then told about inertia and that it would throw the CM/SM's path and alignment out.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2019, 11:23:13 PM

Some egg mayo sandwiches, what a waste to our Martian mates.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2019, 11:23:13 PM

Originally Armstrong and Aldrin could take 20lb bags that had to fit into a strictly shaped tangle of metal like what EasyJet have.

Later on though, the other Apollo missions allowed golf clubs, hammers, loads of scientific equipment, and a massive fucking car. - This all fitted neatly into the originally designed lander and required no extra fuel. The clever cunts!

Replies From View

Did they have to eat those freeze dried strawberries and ice cream like they have in science museum gift shops?

jake thunder

Actually their waste was recycled into food - beef stew, chili con carne etc...

studpuppet

Quote from: jake thunder on July 17, 2019, 08:35:05 PM
Actually their waste was recycled into food - beef stew, chili con carne etc...

Beef Armstronganoff.

Replies From View

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 16, 2019, 03:27:51 PM
Oh good - after all, it's not called For All Mankind Who Can Stay Up Past Midnight on a Sunday Night Because They Don't Have Work the Next Day, is it?

massively ironic. I stayed up all night (& so it was a good thing that armstrong & aldrin left the LEM earlier than scheduled) to watch it the first time, & I was only five.
'work the next day'.
you giant girl's blouse.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: ersatz99 on July 16, 2019, 11:22:13 PM

IK, R? showboating bastards.

Endicott

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 20, 2019, 10:13:40 AM
https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

This is great, thanks.

001:20:11
Quote from: Collins
Ooh, sure, I will. Oh, I've lost the Hasselblad. ... Has anybody seen a Hasselblad floating by? It couldn't have gone very far - big son of a gun like that.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: the on July 15, 2019, 10:25:29 AM
I have yet to see For All Mankind, but has anyone else here seen Apollo 11? It's absolutely stunning if you get to see it on the big screen (lots of it is off large print format).

Does the right thing - no narration, just lets the radio chatter do the talking.

Edit: Making of featurette here.

Saw it this weekend and it is very beautiful indeed. You must take the opportunity to see it big screen if you can. Such clarity in the films right from the start when they're wheeling out the rocket. The way the key events are presented works so well. A few superb scenes I'd never seen before. Very precise in the source material - sparse narration only comes from Cronkite but you never see him. It's all what happened on the ground and in the air.