Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

M2

Started by The Boston Crab, July 14, 2019, 10:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Following some chat about M2's fantastic Switch port of Virtua Racing, which is better than arcade perfect, I thought I'd start a thread about them. This recent documentary by the My Life In Gaming channel is a great place to start, covering the history of the company with interviews with the major members of the team. They're so obviously talented and passionate about games and, particularly, arcade games.

https://youtu.be/jc5DlOkOcU4

They're also responsible for some amazing shmup ports with almost the entire arcade history of Cave ported to the Xbox 360. This gen, they've mostly focused on the PS4 with fantastic versions of as Ketsui, Dangun Feveron and later this year, they're bringing Esp.Ra.De to all formats. I really really hope they keep going with the Cave ports before their paymasters realise that nobody buys them. Dodonpachi Daioujou, Mushihimesama Futari or Espgaluda 2 would be amazing on the Switch. Here's the spin-off doc focusing on their shmup port division, M2 ShotTriggers:

https://youtu.be/DKkCTB2eWRw

They're also working alongside Sega on the Mega Drive Mini which is a significant undertaking but it gives me massive confidence that it will be up there with the SNES Mini in terms of quality, if not better, as opposed to the wonky failure of the PlayStation Classic.

As I said in the DS thread, the 3DS ports of the Yu Suzuki Sega games are probably their greatest achievement in my eyes. OutRun, Space Harrier and After Burner are so perfectly suited to the format because of the quirks of their original engine and the pseudo-3D effect they managed to suggest way back in the arcades. Very much recommended.

Anyone else interested in these guys? Any favourite M2 work?

Bazooka

I have them all on 3DS, minus maybe one, can't remember which now.

Beagle 2

It's in my mind that Out Run and Afterburner must be shit because all I ever played are the Atari ST versions. This is probably unfair.