Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ADHD, Autism

Started by Flouncer, July 14, 2019, 01:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl_sleek

Quote from: Zetetic on July 17, 2019, 06:21:08 PM
That's sort of true, although how popular is "hebephrenic schizophrenia" these days?

Is that what Mr Corbyn has?

garbed_attic

I've just got the ol' OCD - though I reckon it's not as bad as it was when I was 13 or so.

A lot of people have confidently informed me I'm autistic though (including one or two ex-partners) but I've taken the online tests and I'm not darnit! (I think there's a fair amount of intersection between OCD and autism really)

ZoyzaSorris

Hmm. Ive never really looked into what ADHD actually is before but this thread spurred me on to do a bit of further reading out of curiosity and whilst I realise self-diagnosis is an unreliable metric at the best of times, it is uncanny how profoundly the described symptoms fit my own idiosyncracies that I've experienced and struggled with my whole life.

The page I read was literally like a description of me. May have to get myself checked out, though sounds like I'd have to stump up to go private based on what people have said here. Also think there might be a touch of dyspraxia into the mix as it sounds like the two often overlap and I do have real problems with fine motor skills (though not so much gross, i can ride a bike perfectly fine and so on).

I did do an autism spectrum disorder test with my wife for curiosity and she was taking the mickey saying i was definitely going to come up autistic given that i am undeniably a bit of an oddball, but in the end she was way up that way and i was at the opposite end. Im not autistic enough, if anything.

I had epilepsy as a kid and had to take strong drugs for three years, my cod theory is that one or both of those things messed with my neurological development a bit and some things got wired up a bit bodged.

garbed_attic

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on July 18, 2019, 11:33:48 AM
I had epilepsy as a kid and had to take strong drugs for three years, my cod theory is that one or both of those things messed with my neurological development a bit and some things got wired up a bit bodged.

My friend who is autistic and also diagnosed with ADHD says the same, interestingly. He showed me his school reports before and after the meds and they were indeed striking i.e. going from "He is a quiet, well-behaved child" to "He threw all the colouring crayons on the floor, picked them all up and threw them on the floor again."

Cathar

Well then. I'm brand new here, finally made an account thinking the TV forum would distract me from obsessively reading about autism, ADHD and OCD because I think I might have some sort of combo deal. Great strategy. Worked a treat.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Cathar on July 19, 2019, 12:16:16 PM
Well then. I'm brand new here, finally made an account thinking the TV forum would distract me from obsessively reading about autism, ADHD and OCD because I think I might have some sort of combo deal. Great strategy. Worked a treat.

We've got stuff for people who are trapped obsessively reading about Brexit, stuff for people obsessively reading about climate change, about Trump, about Epstein, about creeping medical conditions - all the greats!

Cathar

Quote from: gout_pony on July 19, 2019, 12:51:56 PM
We've got stuff for people who are trapped obsessively reading about Brexit, stuff for people obsessively reading about climate change, about Trump, about Epstein, about creeping medical conditions - all the greats!
You left out anti-semitism.

purlieu

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on July 17, 2019, 04:30:48 PM
My missus is convinced that I'm autistic but I don't agree.  However, when I read that people are still getting diagnosed with Asperger's I do find it irritating because Asperger's was removed from DSMV in 2012/13, so maybe I am.
Quote from: earl_sleek on July 17, 2019, 06:14:48 PM
It's in ICD-10 though, which I would expect diagnoses in the UK are more commonly based on.
This, basically. You won't get the diagnosis in the US anymore, but you still can in the UK. Removing it over there seems a bit daft to me, as ASD is such a broad thing. Giving the same diagnosis to someone who lacks certain understanding about social interaction and has hyper-acute obsessive interests interests and to somebody who literally can't talk or physically look after themselves is ludicrous. It's like saying someone who's lost a toe and some who's lost both legs have the same disability.

Oh and yeah, the number of people here who have at least some symptoms isn't that surprising: this is a place where people have come to discuss obscure details about Chris Morris with strangers on the internet. It's on the aspie-friendly list just below railforums.co.uk and WATMM's Autechre sub-forum.

Hemulen

I've been umming and ahhing about potentially getting a diagnosis for years, and this thread might be the final nudge to get me to do it. I'm definitely in the "always been an oddball, but have basically made peace with it and have various coping strategies" category, so it's less of an essential thing and more a matter of curiosity. Mind you, if I ever changed jobs and wasn't able to pop headphones in to help me concentrate when it gets busy I'd be absolutely screwed.

I really struggled during my childhood – lots of bullying, isolation, utter inability to make friends at school etc. and a constant source of frustration for my teachers who recognised that I was more than capable of anything they were asking of me but would sooner stare out of the window and lose myself in a daydream or sit there reading a book unless the task at hand particularly grabbed me for some reason. I never had any help (except for counselling when the bullying got really bad) and there was a complete lack of curiosity from my parents and school staff as to why I might be more interested in talking to my hands than another human being.

All rather moot at this point – water under the proverbial bridge n' all that – but now that I'm a father I'm keeping half an eye on how my son develops to see if there are any early signs. I'd hate for him to go through what I did.

canadagoose

Bumping old topic because why not. Apparently I was wrong when I thought I didn't have autism, because my psychiatrist (and two other doctors) think I have it. I've still to do a formal test, but it looks like I'm on the spectrum. And you know the weird thing? I told my parents and my Dad told me he knew anyway but never told me because "there's no point". And then it seemed like he was pissed off because I'd found out. TBH I'm just thinking WTF at this point. I am thirty years old. Can someone make some sense of this for me, because I'm flummoxed.

bgmnts

Get those sweet sweet pills pumped in you.

canadagoose

Quote from: bgmnts on January 27, 2020, 04:05:17 AM
Get those sweet sweet pills pumped in you.
I'm on about 10 or 11 pills a day at the moment (for other things) but I'd never refuse something that makes me feel decent. Unless it means endless wittery shitting. Don't fancy that.

edit: Sorry if you weren't replying directly to me, I forget the dates aren't that obvious on posts

bgmnts

Oh I was. I'm on the spectrum possibly according to counsellors i've talked to and the thought of taking some sweet ass drugs to alleviate the crippling mental health issues it contributes to fills my knob with hope.

canadagoose

Quote from: bgmnts on January 27, 2020, 04:09:42 AM
Oh I was. I'm on the spectrum possibly according to counsellors i've talked to and the thought of taking some sweet ass drugs to alleviate the crippling mental health issues it contributes to fills my knob with hope.
It'd be lovely, wouldn't it? The things I'm on at present for mental stuff are doing bugger all for me mentally, sadly. Supposed to be right good and yet I feel like dogshit smeared on a dead seagull. Load of PISH

bgmnts

Have you been taking the dead seagull dogshit smear pills by mistake? Common error.

canadagoose

Quote from: bgmnts on January 27, 2020, 04:22:00 AM
Have you been taking the dead seagull dogshit smear pills by mistake? Common error.
Might have been. Are they the ones with DOGEGG5 printed on them? If so then I've made a terrible mistake.

bgmnts

That's the one! Get well soon.

Bobtoo

I'm pretty sure I have some form of ASD. Both of my children have been diagnosed and a lot of what I went through at school started to make sense when I realised that was a possibility.

I could try to get a diagnosis, but I'm not certain there would be any advantage in it at my age. I've often wondered what difference it would have made if I'd had a diagnosis as a child. I did have some tests done and I was taken to a psychiatrist, but if they ever reached any kind of conclusion they didn't share it with me. I don't think it would have helped.

Do the people who have been diagnosed feel that it's made any difference?

Kryton

After my shit turn over new year my (ex)partner and I went to the doctors to discuss me potentially having ADHD. Thankfully my Doctor has fast tracked me past the 'three year waiting list' and I'm waiting to hear back from the mental health team. Then it'll be an assessment and diagnosis. So just the waiting game for me.