Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis Theroux: Surviving America's Most Hated Family

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, July 14, 2019, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: imitationleather on July 14, 2019, 09:43:57 PM
How come in the early videos he's balding but now he lives there he has a full head of hair?

That's what God does to you, I guess.

Fag hair plugs.

imitationleather

imitationleather

imitationleather

I called Fred Phelps out as gay decades ago. TELL ME SOMETHING NEW.

Ferris

Louis getting one over on this sub-Morgan Spurlock lad.

pwned lmao

imitationleather

Why do they get all these closet cases turning up to join? Happened in the last one as well.

Ferris

Makes sense this wally is a Kansas City Royals fan.

Ferris

bgmnts

Skinhead? Binary code tattoo? Guardians of the Galaxy merch?

Fuck off.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 14, 2019, 10:07:22 PM
Some hairline on the fella as well.

Aye he's quite the specimen.

imitationleather

When do they get to the bit where they interview their new member Graham Linehan?

Ferris

Don't even have widescreen computer screens, still in the 4:3 era.

Backwards mentality on full display.

imitationleather

I gotta say, this episode isn't a whole lot different from the first follow-up doc.

I guess it's more boring.

bgmnts

jobotic

Quote from: bgmnts on July 14, 2019, 10:08:31 PM

Pansexual?

Skinhead? Binary code tattoo? Guardians of the Galaxy merch?

Fuck off.

Alright Gramps, we've all had a nice drink.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on July 14, 2019, 10:19:29 PM
I gotta say, this episode isn't a whole lot different from the first follow-up doc.

I guess it's more boring.

Fred Phelps Sr had a better accent, and an overall better line in mad faces and prophecies. These new lot are shite. Mildly offensive without any of the panache.

imitationleather

He probably should have checked there was interesting stuff to fill an hour with before setting off.

Barely any God Hates Fags signs? Pfff... How are they anything different from your average Bible thumpers now? Ring me back when they say something offensive, thanks.

BlodwynPig

Like a mid-season episode of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 14, 2019, 10:25:34 PM
Like a mid-season episode of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Yeah but more miserable.

bgmnts

"Disagree without demonising".

Leaving one fantasy bubble into another one it seems.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 14, 2019, 10:28:20 PM
Yeah but more miserable.

Didn't find this or Huck Finn miserable at all. Rather watch these than Glee or Last Night at the Proms.

sevendaughters

I thought it was the Before Midnight of the Westboro trilogy - fine, trying to go into new areas, and mostly succeeding, without being radically different or brilliant. The stuff with the mum was the best bit. Absolutely NO point pursuing Steve Drain at all, he's been a flat bat since day one. The ending was a bit VOTE CENTRIST.

lankyguy95

Well I enjoyed it. Not as many funny moments this time although props to J for doing his best. My empathetic side suddenly felt very sorry for Shirley Phelps and ended up wishing she'd just run out at the end and hug Megan.

BritishHobo

Not sure how much I bought the idea that things are mellowing post-Phelps. It felt a bit too over-emphasised, like Louis really wanted it to be the case, but it wasn't shown too much. Always fun to see him spar with top documentarian Steve Drain though.

Ferris

In a series set over 13 years designed to show progression, it is depressing how little has changed.

Still your one has a TED talk career out of it, and the head baddie has carked it so that's something

lankyguy95

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 14, 2019, 10:35:00 PM
Not sure how much I bought the idea that things are mellowing post-Phelps. It felt a bit too over-emphasised, like Louis really wanted it to be the case, but it wasn't shown too much. Always fun to see him spar with top documentarian Steve Drain though.
Yeah I agree and as much as he may correctly take everything they say with a pinch of salt, they were sort of right about him coming to conclusions based on very little. I don't think the fact that they're not as grotesquely joyful about the deaths of soldiers really counts as a softening of doctrine. If he'd focused more on the seven elders that kept being referenced I don't think that narrative would have got anywhere.

sevendaughters

the image of Fred cooing out to the liberals across the street in a moment of revelation seems to fanciful to be true and yet no one seemed to actually rebuff that successfully.

BritishHobo

I guess in retrospect, it's a big step to see Shirley admitting her vulnerability about the kids leaving. It's all very confusing. Louis pitches this mellowing, but also implies that Fred and Shirley have been edged out by this faction of elders pushing more patriarchal control. So which direction is the mellowing coming from?