Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:08:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Six

Started by Neil, March 18, 2005, 01:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You like it or not?

Shite
30 (17.9%)
Nyeh
19 (11.3%)
Average
37 (22%)
Good
59 (35.1%)
Brilliant
23 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:29:33 PM

Neil

The last show, hooray.  Do you think there will be a sequel?  If so then will events in episode six have any bloody baring anyway?  Anyone want to try and predict what will happen in this episode?  Anyone actually looking forward to it?

And...please don't post stuff about captures.

no_offenc

....sorry about that Neil.........

I think Dan will REACT, Nathan will get shit upon by countless people and then his brown-stained clothing will be hailed as the next big fashion statement, YET AGAIN saving him from looking like a twat, Claire will be a selfish cunt who acts in a hypocritical manner, and Jonnatton Yeah? will be the only thing that makes me laugh more than once.

JesusAndYourBush

I'm looking forward to it.  I hope there's a sequel, mainly because the episodes are quite slow moving and it's barely scraped the surface of the life of Nathan Barley and friends.  As to predicting what happens.  Erm.  Dan and Nathan will reverse roles.  Dan will suddenly decide that 6peter20 is a genius and will stand on his desk pissing.  Nathan will be enlightened and realise he was one of the idiots.  Or something.

Jemble Fred

I thought there definitely was a second series? Was it a hoax? I'm a bit out of the loop, I think...

Consignia

According to the Guardian guide, there's plenty of room for a sequal., so don't expect any ultimate failure from all the characters, at least some have got bounce-back-ability.

skibz

I can't even bring myself to watch this any more, I gave up halfway through last week's through sheer boredom. For some reason I thought that maybe all the plot threads were building up to something, maybe Dan and Nathan living together like some weird version of 'The Odd Couple', but the characters seem to have gotten less detailed by the episode, and the novelty value of it being a new Morris project wore off a while back. If everyone says that it's utterly hilarious then I might bother, but I doubt that's likely to happen now. Even if the last episode is packed with the world's most hilarious gags, it won't stop the entire series being a dismal failure.

Y'know, I wouldn't mind seeing Morris write a book of some kind, that could be cool. Or do an album, or go back to radio stuff, anything but this...

Purple Tentacle

I wonder how Morris will "fuck with the medium" this week? Maybe put a gaussian blur filter on the Talkback logo.  Or maybe he'll put a shine filter on the Talkback logo.  Or maybe he'll put an emboss filter on the Talkback logo.

Dr David V

Or maybe he'll leave it alone. Because that would be fucking with the media on top of another fucking of the media. Which is like, totally where it's at, dude.

mattc_187

I really hope there is a sequel, i think it has a lot of scope.
Fair enough it's not been the best comedy ever but it's been better than 99% of the shite on tv at the moment. And at least it's something half decent to watch on a friday night.

Spiteface

I'd only want a second series if it was any good.  I doubt there will be because Brasseye aside, He's never done more than one series of any of his TV work (TDT, Ja(aaa)m), I reckon He'll try something different again.  i like the suggestion of him writing a book, but maybe under a pseudonym.

I'd like to see nathan as more of the "cunt" seen in last week's, when he was bragging on the phone about the blowjob be recieved.

Maybe Dan will try to kill Nathan or something.

Morrisfan82

I predict that my Nathan Barley tape will be used for something else in a matter of weeks.

Please, world, no second series. If that happens, what hope will there be, really?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I wonder how Morris will "fuck with the medium" this week? Maybe put a gaussian blur filter on the Talkback logo.  Or maybe he'll put a shine filter on the Talkback logo.  Or maybe he'll put an emboss filter on the Talkback logo.

Quote from: "Dr David V"Or maybe he'll leave it alone.

That's right. He'll do nothing to it but, of course, those of us in the loop will be able to see the ironic significance of this, much as we'll be able to see the ironic significance of him doing nothing to the ads in the commercial break as well. In fact, his god-like geniusness will keep us entertained for the foreseeable future as he will ironically continue to do nothing to many hundreds of hours of TV. Crikey! Does his influence know no bounds?

rjd2

I assume Dan will stand up to Jonathon and tell him to fuck off.
Claire will refuse to ever speak to Nathan again and Pingu will finally do something and leave Nathan, thus Nathan finished.
Although both endings would make a second series impossible would they not?
Anyway second series? No. Morris and Brooker had long enough with this series, they messed up badly.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I thought there definitely was a second series? Was it a hoax? I'm a bit out of the loop, I think...

Answer this man!!

Quote from: "rjd2"Anyway second series? No. Morris and Brooker had long enough with this series, they messed up badly.

Too late.
Barley lovers are all shouting 'There's definitely a second series haha!'

So why all the doubt? Is there one or not?

Hemorrhoid Shark

Didn't anyone else see the advert for this episode last week? Not the one on the website, but the other one, which went out during I Know What You Did Last Summer.

I've only seen it the once, but it looked like Dan gives Nathan a column in SugaRAPE. Can't be sure of that, but that's certainly what it looked like.

Hasn't anyone else seen it?

It occured to me whilst watching NB last week that there is virtually no influence of the outside world on these 'idiots', they all live a little 'idiot' bubble safe from the scrutiny of the 'adult' world, there is no reference to external forces - for examples Nathans old school chums, nathans, dans (etc) families and so on.  This has to be a diliberate plan, perhaps, but i think the programme would have been far more successful if it had at least played with this a little bit.  Meeting Nathans parents or Dans parents would have put there  behaviour in context, providing a counterpoint to the 'idiots'... i mean it could have been My Family, but with the word cunt included...

back to banging my face like a gong

butnut

Am I the only hoping that if there is a second series, that Morris has nothing to do with it?

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "Spiteface"I reckon He'll try something different again.  i like the suggestion of him writing a book, but maybe under a pseudonym..

one of my problems with nathan barley is that it isn't much different to morris's previous work. To my mind, its just a television rehash of Morris' blue jam monologues, where he took the piss out of media types with infinitely greater imagination and humour.

Whatever Morris does next, I just hope that he has finally moved on and can now write about something other than magazine editors.

rjd2

Quote from: "butnut"Am I the only hoping that if there is a second series, that Morris has nothing to do with it?

I agree, I hope Morris and Brooker never work together again.

Dr David V

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"Does his influence know no bounds?
Yeah - less than 500,000 people.

chimpoo

Quote from: "rjd2"I assume Dan will stand up to Jonathon and tell him to fuck off.

As this is exactly what happens in the last episodes of both I'm APartridge and The Office - shows which the NB team clearly hail as the godfathers of tragi-com - I find this wholly likely.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I thought there definitely was a second series? Was it a hoax? I'm a bit out of the loop, I think...

I think we can safely say it was a hoax (or an attempt to generate fake viral 'interest' based on nothing) - the person who said it was a one-post wonder, after all, and such people are usually Zeppotrolls.

weekender

I hope they all die in some sort of terrorist attack, and the last five minutes just show people sobbing uncontrollably, followed by Morris popping up at the and saying cheerfully "It might not happen!".

I've really got no interest in it anymore, I couldn't care less what happens to any of the characters, any of their lives, any of their buildings, handbags etc.

bennyprofane

QuoteI've really got no interest in it anymore, I couldn't care less what happens to any of the characters, any of their lives, any of their buildings, handbags etc.

why are people on here so remorselessly dtermined to reiterate this every single week.  particularly when so many other people have stated it in the particular thread, the thread the week before and stuff.

any fule kno; the stance of not caring is ontological proof of care.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "bennyprofane"
why are people on here so remorselessly dtermined to reiterate this every single week.  particularly when so many other people have stated it in the particular thread, the thread the week before and stuff.

Because it's quite important when you bear in mind how much people have looked forward to this show and how much they rate other Chris Morris projects.

Divnee Gan

At this rate I'll be drunk by the time it airs, so i'll give you a drunken perspective on it. someone else can do the ubiquitous stoned take on it.

bennyprofane

I'm not denying that it's worth noting how disappointing Barley is.  But posts like that aren't giving any reason for disliking it.  The low viewing figures are enough testament to the fact that Barley has been unengaging on any numer of levels.  If you're still engaged with it on the basis that it marks an aberration for Morris, then say why.  Just turning up and saying 'iS ThIs stillLl ONnN!!!1!' is completely redundant.  There's nobody who's interested enough in Barley to check on a website about it who doesn't know that the attitude of general public and interent critics alike has become one of indifference. So why point out how great you are for being one of a milllion people who don't loike the chracters.  Why not try and offer some constructive analysis of what left you cold, what tried to grab your interest and failed, what elements of the program can you tell were never MEANT to be especially engaging.  If people can answer those questions, then they've got slightly more right to affect the smug smug tone that just lends slightly more weight to the poor delusional 'you just don't get it' ranters

I'm not going to care about it, i'll only watch it if i happen to make myself a sandwich and put on the TV on channel 4 at 10 o clock, in my lounge, but by god i'd better turn on the computer and tell people how little deterministic effect NB has on my friday schedules.

Divnee Gan

I don't think anyones been talking smugly on this thread. I only managed halfway through it but most of the complaints:

1. It's more like a collection of sketches.
2. It's thin on laughs, even chuckles.

These ring true with me.

Edit: I thought I was replying to the episode 5 thread.

I predict that Nathan will play some cruel stunt on Pingu that causes him jump out a window whilst Dan looks on and mumbles something about Claire's titties. I'll probably watch for the sake of completion, and to see if my crystal ball gazing comes true.

Divnee Gan

Eh: are you having a rant there Benny?