Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Six

Started by Neil, March 18, 2005, 01:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You like it or not?

Shite
30 (17.9%)
Nyeh
19 (11.3%)
Average
37 (22%)
Good
59 (35.1%)
Brilliant
23 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:29:33 PM

Rats

QuoteBut watching them is optional, so what's the problem?

I mean when you watch them. I was referingto commanteries there as well. You didn't have to watch every episode of nathan barley, but it was a pleasure to read you complaining every week :)
I wouldn't say they shouldn't exist just because I don't like them, I wouldn't say that about anything. Most of the dvd extras I've seen have been rubbish though, so I usually don't bother. That's not to say I won't read the title of one and think "ooh, that might be good" and watch it and find that it IS good. I wouldn't buy a dvd on the strength of an extra though, the title's usually make them sound a lot more exciting and substantial than they actually are anyway, and are only on the disc so they can be listed on the back with an inticing name so more people put their hands in their pockets.

The Mumbler

Did I dream it, or was there a thread on here recently which mentioned Morris at Peter Fincham's leaving do making "funny phone calls" to Channel 4's Andy Duncan and Lorraine Heggessey?  I really hope I imagined it, because if that really happened, that puts the tin lid on any more bollocks about how Morris is a devil-may-care maverick who attacks the broadcasting industry (he only does that when all the Talkback and Channel 4 staff are in on the joke in the first place).

TJ

Rats, I think you've just heard the wrong commentaries, to be honest.

Here's some that I'd recommend to any doubters:

This Is Spinal Tap (inspired in-character dialogue)

The Tomorrow People (absolutely compelling bitching from former child stars about co-stars, producers and costumes)

Monty Python And The Holy Grail (fascinating background detail on the trials of film-making for no budget in hazardous Scottish locations)

I'd recommend the League of Gentlemen and Ripping Yarns commentaries, nice, natural, interesting banter.

Rats

Yes, you might be right, has anyone listened to the commentary on pi? That's the worst one I've heard. Still game was nice enough but pretty dull, and one of the guys is canadian! I didn't see that coming.

Darrell

Quote from: "TJ"This Is Spinal Tap (inspired in-character dialogue)

The out-of-character commentary is amazingly good as well. There's a bit where they all just start recreating a routine from a Peter Sellers LP which makes you glad to be alive.

Lee

Oh, I was going to listen to the Pi commentary this week. Oh well.

Despite the criticisms on here, I really like the Spaced/SotD commentaries, and in non-comedy there's also nice ones on the My Little Eye and Blair Witch Project DVDs.

Little Hoover

Actually the best commentary ever is Adam and Joe's commentary for the commentary menu.
Which you'll love even more if you hate commentaries.

Bungus

QuoteI'd love to see the stuff that was left out of blue velvet, I'd find that really interesting.

Yeah like the takes where they had Dennis Hopper sucking on helium.. Which turned out to be to silly for the film. Everyone laughing....

;-)

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Best commentary ever = Bob Spiers on Fawlty Towers Series 2.

Graham Linehan on Father Ted is hilariously depressive, and dismissive of everything on screen.

In the Little Britain commentaries they often say 'oh, we're just watching it now,' and the fact that they are 'wearing ladies' knickers' in the commentary booth. I'm pretty sure Matt Lucas also recycles his old chestnut 'the make-up team created a very good fat suit for me here,' whenever he has his naked flesh on show. Walliams chuckles obediently. To be fair, they are also slagging off the repetitiveness of the sketches by the end of it (particularly the Kesley Grammar school lot.)

John Cleese on A Fish Called Wanda is very witty, urbane and informative all on his own.

The Black Books commentaries are quite good too, I reckon, as the actors are essentially the same as their characters. Also - say what you like about that Spaced lot - they really give a shit about DVD presentation, which is appreciated.

Little Hoover

Quote from: "Lookalike Mark Chapman"Graham Linehan on Father Ted is hilariously depressive, and dismissive of everything on screen.

Agreed I think I actually hate Father Ted and Big Train now

mugwump ji sum

A tad late with this... but why do people defend the cock, muff, bumhole game and all the other "well futile"catchphrases with the "it's meant to be crap and that's why it's good" line? Wayne Carr's whole banter was filled with awful things for a DJ to say but still managed to be funny... eg; playing a record on the anniversary of John Lennon's death.... he had a chicken face so he was probably glad he got shot... or something like that. Just one example from loads. Actually there were many lines that pointed to WC being a paedophilic wretch, way more shocking on GLR than on Channel 4 at this point in time.