Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:05:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Six

Started by Neil, March 18, 2005, 01:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You like it or not?

Shite
30 (17.9%)
Nyeh
19 (11.3%)
Average
37 (22%)
Good
59 (35.1%)
Brilliant
23 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:29:33 PM

Dreadful.

Anyone want to defy C&B tradition and join me in petitioning talkback not to release this on dvd?

Slackboy

The trick is to be an insane Brooker/Morris-stalkerish type I think. Cos I thought it was fucking amazingly awesome. Was laughing my tits off all the way through and I'm feeling quite emotional now.

Edit: a little dash: -

skinbeard

I did not understand any of that.

Jim Jarmusch

Eamon Holmes said the shows title.

alan strang

Just out of the vaguest inkling of interests, what was the deal with the photos on the Trashbat site showing Nathan in Canada? Anything to do with the series or did they just get whatsisface the actor to dress up while he was on holiday?

Quote from: "Slackboy"The trick is to be an insane Brooker/Morris stalkerish type I think. Cos I thought it was fucking amazingly awesome. Was laughing my tits off all the way through and I'm feeling quite emotional now.

What did you make of the final hospital scene? If I were to put myself in the place of someone who did like this series I think I would have preffered it just to end with Dan on the road - the end scene I just didnt get.

(EDIT: and Neil, in answer to the question you asked me earlier... no, it wasn't)

Quote from: "Slackboy"The trick is to be an insane Brooker/Morris stalkerish type I think. Cos I thought it was fucking amazingly awesome. Was laughing my tits off all the way through and I'm feeling quite emotional now.

I came to this site for Cook.  And I thought it was fucking awful.   So you don't need to be a stalkerish Cook/Brooker fan to be angry at the awfulness of this shit.

Slackboy

Hell the how should I know what the ending was about? It just works. I'm not clever enough to explain why.

Cambrian Times

Well at least we have "A Bear's Tale" to look forward to.

<<runs>>

Mister Six

Wouldn't it have been better if the whole blackmail thing had been brought in one or two episodes ago? It would have given the series some kind of direction, no matter how vague.

Quote from: "alan strang"Just out of the vaguest inkling of interests, what was the deal with the photos on the Trashbat site showing Nathan in Canada? Anything to do with the series or did they just get whatsisface the actor to dress up while he was on holiday?

Weren't they in his flat on the wall?

racingline

That was rubbish. What was worse- writing or directing? Ah well, at least there's no way series 2 can just pick up. They might have to have some ideas.

Hemorrhoid Shark

That was probably the best episode of the series in my opinion, in that it was the only one that had any kind of real plot as such. Dan bursting out with the gun and scaring Pingu back out the window was a nice touch, if somewhat predictable.

Still a bit pants, though.

Still, I liked the Labour Party Conference game. Anyone else get a good glimpse of the box? "Andrew Marr stuck in a hotel" or something. Probably the best laugh in the series, which isn't really a good thing considering that it could have been knocked up on somethingawful.com.

Dr David V

Quote from: "Jim Jarmusch"Eamon Holmes said the shows title.
Yeah, that was weird, wasn't it?

Not as weird as that ending mind. Not sure what to make of that. I mean, it wasn't funny (like the rest of the show), but I found it quite uncomfortable to watch. Moreso than any of Ja(aaaa)m.

I didn't just imagine that last half-hour did I?

Artemis

What a miserable bunch some of you lot are.

That episode produced the biggest belly laugh of the series so far when Dan appeared as the gun man and Pingu jumped again. Really very funny. Close second was the line "Does the Pope fuck kids?" from an earlier episode which again made me chuckle a lot.

I haven't commented on the series at all so far, but while it's obviously not Brass Eye standard, it's not Brass Eye, so in my opinoin it's a bit redundant to whine about how Morris has 'gone crap' when he's doing something completely different and it's not even his solo project.

I enjoyed NB a lot - it had its dodgy moments but then so has everything Morris has done. I hope there's a second series - I'll be watching that too!!

Seemed like a half cooked attempt to "set" the narrative as Dan Ashcroft being gradually subsumed by a tide of "idiocy", whereas really it has wandered all over the fucking shop. Just a mess.

Goldentony

it just felt like nothing happened for the whole episode.

blimey, dissapointing series to say the least. with a handful of nice moments scattered throughout.

the opening titles were always nice, thats about it for me.

imitationleather

The jam bit was clearly meant to mean something. The thing is, I just don't give a fuck what.

Quote from: "Cambrian Times"Well at least we have "A Bear's Tale" to look forward to.

Do you happen to know whether thats going to be a sitcom or a chatshow?

mattc_187

I thought it was great , yeah maybe the characters weren't as delveloped as they could have been but i can safely say that had me laughing my arse off most of the way through ... maybe not classic Morris but as i said earlier it better than 99% of shit on the tele at the moment and for that reason alone i think it's a fuckin gem

Neil

Another dig at "obessional" owners of the DVD in there.

weapon

Nathan Barley has been wicked all the way through, I couldn't knock it. Well, thats me for ya.

Cambrian Times

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "Cambrian Times"Well at least we have "A Bear's Tale" to look forward to.

Do you happen to know whether thats going to be a sitcom or a chatshow?

It's definately a sitcom.

sandy devotional

As a Morris fan for years, this was frankly shite.

I can't believe how  unfunny it was. Even the staged moments were  pathetic. The end was like BAD Blue Jam mixed with the end of Blackadder.

I almost strained myself trying to find humour here and I've now prolapsed my colon.

There may be bits of humour in this post. I dare you to find them.

kates bush

why the fuck did dan decide to do the gunman routine?!

Dr David V

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Anyone want to defy C&B tradition and join me in petitioning talkback not to release this on dvd?
Apparently copies are already appearing on eBum.

EDIT: And someone's charging £26 for it.

Purple Tentacle

Well at least it's over now.

I only watched the last three episodes by way of being able to follow the discussion here. The series is lacklustre as a whole, but not "RUBBISH" in big neon lights. I'm not able to give fair judgement on the last episode, since I was almost ready to laugh at anything, given the dearth of jokes across the previous episodes. Claire walks in = ROTFLMAO. See? He he he.

Who prefers Nathan to Claire and Dan?

Also by the way, what was the meaning of the reference to the late Robert Palmer?

Des Nilsen

I'm really sad to say it was all bollocks. I was so very optimistic about the whole thing. Gawd, I hate to sound so dismissive, but it was balls. Tosh.

I'll wish CM the best for whatever he does next, mind.

-

alan strang

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Weren't they in his flat on the wall?

Ah right. Didn't notice that.

Quote from: "Neil"Another dig at "obessional" owners of the DVD in there.

Yeah - why did they have the 'Detail-Obsessed Fuckwits' poster clearly visible in the background this time? It rather screws up the joke.